A Long Weekend in D & G (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Bliss, our home for the weekend, a stunningly beautiful little CL near New Abbey close to the Solway Coast, anyone else out and about this weekend?:thumb: Forecast up here is very settled with light winds, sunshine and overnight frosts, lovely change from the gloomy days of late.

Attachments

• 13.01.2012a.jpg
    13.01.2012a.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 13.01.2012c.jpg
    13.01.2012c.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 13.01.2012b.jpg
    13.01.2012b.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 67

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart.

Just over the river from us about 6miles by road. Lovely area. If you want a nice meal try the Mabie forest hotel loads of parking at hotel or in forest carpark and lovely meals.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Gerry, Landis Farm if you havent already guessed, Mabie Forest Hotel is ace, my pal who lived at Glencaple celebrated his 60th there, food was superb. Off to Mersehead tomorrow for a days walking and birdwatching a gem of a reserve.

We lunched at Carsethorn today, beautiful and the large seafront car park does not display any "No Overnighters" so I'm guessing out of season brill for wilding? :RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

Lovely area. If you want a nice meal try the Mabie forest hotel loads of parking at hotel or in forest carpark and lovely meals.

Gerry[/QUOTE]

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart
Sounds like a good day planned there is also a bird reserve just past Glencaple near Caerlaverock Castle not been to it but have heard its good.

When your heading to Mearsehead tomorrow if its a nice day there is a view point a few miles outside new abbey on left hand side on your way cant remember the name but its sign posted we take the mh there often and great views over to glencaple and beyond.

I actually stay on Glencaple road and use the nith hotel often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo Gerry, reserve is Caerlaverock brilliant place but busy at weekends. The viewpoint you mention we intended to have our lunch stop in is closed and barricaded till February!

My pal lived at Kennethbank till he went to live in Spain, we had some great nights in the Nith, they do very good meals.

Been visiting and birding in D & G for 40 years, gawd thats showin me age:Doh:

Hi Stewart
Sounds like a good day planned there is also a bird reserve just past Glencaple near Caerlaverock Castle not been to it but have heard its good.

When your heading to Mearsehead tomorrow if its a nice day there is a view point a few miles outside new abbey on left hand side on your way cant remember the name but its sign posted we take the mh there often and great views over to glencaple and beyond.

I actually stay on Glencaple road and use the nith hotel often.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hi Stewart,
We used to live in Carsethorn just down the coast from where you are.Lovely spot.
If you have time go to Kippford and walk the Jubilee Path to Rockcliffe..highly recommended.
Two pubs in Kippford both with good food and drink.

Enjoy:thumb:

John and Carole.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Glad to hear you're enjoying your stay in D & G! Kippford is a beautiful spot as mentioned, coming across westwards towards us you've got Kirkcudbright with it's beautiful harbour. It's all a bit quiet around here at the moment because it's off season, we're just behind Drummuckloch Farm in Skyreburn, just past Gatehouse of Fleet.

Gatehouse is busy when the season starts, but well worth a visit and a walk up the Venniehill to the vantage point. We did it on Boxing Day:thumb:

Drummuckloch is a small CL site, but it doesn't open until Easter........but just an idea if you're coming over this neck of the woods in the future. Great walks all around us, I can recommend Mossyard Beach (when it gets a bit warmer though!). Great area for "Red Kite" spotting as well.:Smile:

Enjoy your stay!:thumb:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
IMO D&G is the most underrated part of the UK (& that has nothing to do with SWMBO being born in Dumfries) So often people charge north and miss this part of the country and dont know what they are missing along the Solway Coast.
There was a spell when I worked that area and the company was quite happy to pay site fees instead of hotels (we were tuggers then) Enjoy your break

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Yo John and Carole

We stayed at Kippford Holiday Park last January in the big freeze and did that exact walk one sunny day, beautiful and some good birds.:thumb:

Lazy morning tomorrow, Glencaple jetty for lunch stop and some birding, then the coastal car park at Caerlaverock for afternoon coffee before the slow drive home.

Planning a return tour for 10-12 days from 24th Jan, OH is thinking of following me in our smaller car so we can use it for birding on some of the more minor roads.

Dumfries is only 58 miles from home so its not a long drive for us and having the car has its advantages.::bigsmile:

Stewart

Hi Stewart,
We used to live in Carsethorn just down the coast from where you are.Lovely spot.
If you have time go to Kippford and walk the Jubilee Path to Rockcliffe..highly recommended.
Two pubs in Kippford both with good food and drink.

Enjoy:thumb:

John and Carole.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
IMO D&G is the most underrated part of the UK (& that has nothing to do with SWMBO being born in Dumfries) So often people charge north and miss this part of the country and dont know what they are missing along the Solway Coast.
There was a spell when I worked that area and the company was quite happy to pay site fees instead of hotels (we were tuggers then) Enjoy your break

Some people refer to D & G as Scotland's "forgotten region". They usually fly up the M6 and then straight up the M74 to the central belt and all points north. But this is probably down to having no knowledge of the areas in and around D & G.

I think possibly it's the fact that it never gets too busy around us, that gives the area it's appeal to a lot of people. I personally find the place too quiet over the winter months and look forward to "some" tourists coming in when the season starts. However, that to brings problems, us funsters find it more difficult to get a parking spot when we take the mh into the town!:Blush::Doh:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart

Looks like you picked a nice few days bit cold but really nice. If you see someone waving at you tomorrow it will be me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if i see you passing the house.

Have a great day and hurry back as its a lovely place for bird watching and nice walks.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I agree, D&G is the Jewel in the Crown and has everything stunning scenery, wonderful fauna and flora, warm and friendly locals and best of all not many visitors (cos they don't know how wonderful it is) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?) :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Looks like you picked a nice few days bit cold but really nice. If you see someone waving at you tomorrow it will be me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if i see you passing the house.

Have a great day and hurry back as its a lovely place for bird watching and nice walks.

Gerry

Some people refer to D & G as Scotland's "forgotten region". They usually fly up the M6 and then straight up the M74 to the central belt and all points north. But this is probably down to having no knowledge of the areas in and around D & G.

I think possibly it's the fact that it never gets too busy around us, that gives the area it's appeal to a lot of people. I personally find the place too quiet over the winter months and look forward to "some" tourists coming in when the season starts. However, that to brings problems, us funsters find it more difficult to get a parking spot when we take the mh into the town!:Blush::Doh:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have thought about it Stewart as Park Farm (rugby ground) on New Abbey road you will pass on way home holds caravan rallies there a couple of times a year so it would be possible maybe need to look in to it a bit more.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Sounds a good plan Gerry, count me in :thumb:

Stewart

Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have thought about it Stewart as Park Farm (rugby ground) on New Abbey road you will pass on way home holds caravan rallies there a couple of times a year so it would be possible maybe need to look in to it a bit more.

Gerry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say, every time I see the title of this thread I wonder why anyone on here would spend a weekend in Dolce & Gabana's? :roflmto:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are up at the border, near Berwick, with the boys this weekend. Cold.. But nice, no wind for a change.

Now a meet in D&G would be right up our street....:thumb:

Almost the same distance to D&G as Berwick....

Just pray if it happens I'm on leave and not at work on the ship.....

We need some more meets up here for the Northern Funsters,.........:RollEyes:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are up at the border, near Berwick, with the boys this weekend. Cold.. But nice, no wind for a change.

Now a meet in D&G would be right up our street....:thumb:

Almost the same distance to D&G as Berwick....

Just pray if it happens I'm on leave and not at work on the ship.....

We need some more meets up here for the Northern Funsters,.........:RollEyes:

Yep, good idea! We were just talking abouts meets and where and when the next nearest one would be:thumb:

We've got plenty space in the garden for anyone stuck for an overnighter:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I agree, D&G is the Jewel in the Crown and has everything stunning scenery, wonderful fauna and flora, warm and friendly locals and best of all not many visitors (cos they don't know how wonderful it is) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?) :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stewart

This sounds great, but I would suggest it's organised by a "seasoned" Funster:thumb: and as we're still "virgins", there must be someone else not too far away from us that can do it!:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Woke up to a very heavy frost, turned out to be a super day. First picture from yesterday RSPB Mersehead, view from one of the hides, the view says it all. Next two around the CL this morning and the last looking out across New Abbey from the site.

Attachments

• Mersehead.jpg
    Mersehead.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 16
  • 15.01.2012a.jpg
    15.01.2012a.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 15.01.2012c.jpg
    15.01.2012c.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 15
  • 15.01.2012b.jpg
    15.01.2012b.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Spent a couple of hours parked up on the old jetty at Glencaple, a lovely spot, light conditions made for some very atmospheric photo opportunities even for my fairly basic non slr digital camera. The 4th picture should gladden the heart of the wilders, and a hotel serving excellent reasonably priced food and drink 50 yards away!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: it just gets better.::bigsmile:

The first 2 photo's were taken within 30 mins of each other as the light changed. I rather like them but I'm perhaps very biased:Eeek:

Attachments

• Glencaple01.jpg
    Glencaple01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Glencaple02.jpg
    Glencaple02.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Glencaple03.jpg
    Glencaple03.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Glencaple04.jpg
    Glencaple04.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Stewart

Nice pics looks like you had a good weekend.

As for Glencaple i had heard a while back they where going to make it an official place for mh's as always a few there in summer but hadn't heard anything and as we don't go there with mh didn't know sign was there.

The big black metal barn at the car park has just got planning permission to be turned into the post office and village shop with tea room they are closing the small one round the corner so will be even better for mh's. as will be able to have a nice cuppa and cream cake :ROFLMAO:

Often thought the old jetty/pier would be a good place for a wee meet im sure we could get about 20 vans on it but dont know who owns it.

Gerry

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Now that sounds like a very very good plan Gerry, who can we contact to organise a mini rally ?:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi Stewart

Nice pics looks like you had a good weekend.

As for Glencaple i had heard a while back they where going to make it an official place for mh's as always a few there in summer but hadn't heard anything and as we don't go there with mh didn't know sign was there.

The big black metal barn at the car park has just got planning permission to be turned into the post office and village shop with tea room they are closing the small one round the corner so will be even better for mh's. as will be able to have a nice cuppa and cream cake :ROFLMAO:

Often thought the old jetty/pier would be a good place for a wee meet im sure we could get about 20 vans on it but dont know who owns it.

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Leave it with me my dad was good friends with the hotel owner before he passed away but will ask his family but im sure it belongs to the local community so im sure they would be more than happy as shop and pub would make money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back