Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well its nearly 1 week on since we bought our old girl, here in Portugal (English Plates). Never had one before so learning every day. Lots of help from this wonderful forum and hubby and I are pouring through the manuals.

Hubby is tarting up the outside, nearly finished hammeriting the rusty wheels then on to the rust spots. Not too many of those thank goodness mainly suface above the cab. Speaking of the cab we were meant to be sleeping in it but after the performance I had getting up and down I am beginning to think it might not be such a good idea. Not as young as I was and a tad overweight, perhaps it will get easier with practice and lots of foraged food.

Once thats done its on to the inside filling in all the holes that the past owner had made hanging hooks and stuff. I want him to remove the shelf that the previous owner put in and put the lights back where they should be. I have been told to stay away as yesterday I broke one of the verticle runners in the overhead cab window. The blind was out of the track and I tried to put it back, the runner was brittle and snapped. I am now totally persona non grata!

The previous owner had also left us plenty of waste in the toilet tank, yuk. Fortunately we have a septic tank where we live so he emptied it into that.

After a nightmare trying to find insurance we finally manage to get it through Aviva. So god damn difficult when you are an expat.

15th March and UK bound, sooooo excited, hope the old girl makes but we have gold star RAC cover just in case. With luck on our side and a tail wind we might just make it.:thumb:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
seems like fun, have a good trip back to the UK, quite a few of us are heading in the other direction:Smile:...............Del

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
seems like fun, have a good trip back to the UK, quite a few of us are heading in the other direction:Smile:...............Del

Thanks Del! Looking forward to the journey back, trying to avoid tolls and taking in all the new scenery.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hammeriting the rusty wheels

Ah, you've got a good man there, bet he's got a roll or two of duct tape too.

Getting into the overhead does get easier with practise. They are so convenient, and big ( well ours is ), worth the effort.

When did York move to Portugal ??

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Getting into the overhead does get easier with practise. [HI]They are so convenient[/HI], and big ( well ours is ), worth the effort.

Not quite so convenient in the middle of the night when there's two of you in it and nature calls:Doh:

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ah, you've got a good man there, bet he's got a roll or two of duct tape too.

Getting into the overhead does get easier with practise. They are so convenient, and big ( well ours is ), worth the effort.

When did York move to Portugal ??

He did have lots of duct tape but unfortunately sold it all at the carboot sale before buying the m/h along with the t-cut, flash dash etc etc. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thing is we did not think we would be able to find an English reg. out here and when they come along they are always too pricey. We were going to drive back to the UK in our old Portuguese van and then scrap it. At least now we can sell it though its not worth much.

I will take your word for it re the overhead, I just have visions of getting up in the middle of the night to take a pee and forgetting where I am, its a bl**dy long drop!!

Oooops I thought it meant where are you from as in where are you from and not where are you now.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not quite so convenient in the middle of the night when there's two of you in it and nature calls:Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have just been writing about that then saw your post. This is one of the other things that worries me, my old bladder is not what it once was.:Blush: I could always sleep in a pair of incontinence pants but I don't think my other half would be too thrilled with the idea.::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oooops I thought it meant where are you from as in where are you from and not where are you now.::bigsmile:

Some folk don't fill anything in, but if you do and need help there is the small chance someone nearby will offer to have a look. Portugal, we do have Our Man in Portugal. JJ. He who eats Fray Bentos.

You'll only get it wrong one once, getting out of bed, you'll not forget again. Though I'm not speaking from experience. 'er indoors does an impression of a large mammal having a breech birth as she fumbles for the rungs with much encouragement "you can do it, left a bit, go".

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Well its nearly 1 week on since we bought our old girl, here in Portugal (English Plates).

15th March and UK bound, sooooo excited, hope the old girl makes but we have gold star RAC cover just in case. With luck on our side and a tail wind we might just make it.:thumb:

Just a thought is the old girl UK taxed mot'd and insured as you dont want to be pulled by the old bill as you get off the ferry with the old ANPR camera's.:Eeek:
Have a safe trip back to the UK.

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Some folk don't fill anything in, but if you do and need help there is the small chance someone nearby will offer to have a look. Portugal, we do have Our Man in Portugal. JJ. He who eats Fray Bentos.

You'll only get it wrong one once, getting out of bed, you'll not forget again. Though I'm not speaking from experience. 'er indoors does an impression of a large mammal having a breech birth as she fumbles for the rungs with much encouragement "you can do it, left a bit, go".

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: oh dear Brian that's not very flattering hope your wife does not read this. Yes definitely will only get wrong once well that is until cast comes off anyway.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a thought is the old girl UK taxed mot'd and insured as you dont want to be pulled by the old bill as you get off the ferry with the old ANPR camera's.:Eeek:
Have a safe trip back to the UK.

Hi, for some reason never got a notification about this post.

Yes she is MOT'd and taxed till August this year and I have just managed to get fully comp insurance with full European RAC cover so ready to rock n' roll.

Hubby has just tiled out the wet room and it looks fab but just noticed the shower curtain is not wide enough to go all the way round. This along with other curtains that are missing will have to be sorted out when we get back to the UK. Can't find the gliders for the rails anywhere here in Portugal and buying then online to have them posted here makes them too expensive.

The exterior paintwork outside the body looked very tired and the colour stripes very faded. I spent the day waxing and polishing on Friday and it has come up a treat. Next job is putting back to black on the plastic bumpers, wing mirrors etc. Then it will be on to the few rust spots. Just bought some primer and white spray paint. I just love the old girl so much and she will soon look good as new. I am so keen to get on with doing her up that I have to force myself to do the normal household chores!

Noticed that the chimney flue cover and external boiler flue cover are missing. Have found replacements on Ebay but they don't ship to Portugal so again they will have to wait till we get back.

Hubby is now on with removing some of alterations that the previous owner had carried out, warped shelves, lowered lights etc etc.

Right housework:Angry: and then back to the old girl!!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back