Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yup , that old chestnut again. got my license back from dvla FINALLY, and was checking the entitlements in case theyd buggered it up again.
one category is "A"....(motorbike), it says "Any sized motorbike at age 21 see note 1".
When I look at note 1, it says, "at age 21 or 2 years from standard A test pass" can any bikers clear this up...whats on your license?.......can I go get a harley:ROFLMAO:, or have I still got too pass a test on a hairdryer to take the missus on the back?
Just to help outthe "A" entitlement is from 30/01/1975 until 06/12/2026.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well my advice would be get a kawasaki 1500cc drifter . even more so if you want to do a few long trips riding the bike not riding in a recovery truck. ha ha . but yes it does look from what you have said you can.
i imagine you have took your bike test years ago.
mine runs out in 25 so i guess you are about 55yr old ?and was a december baby.ha ha .

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Bloody hell, your almost phsycic:ROFLMAO:, yup 55, at my peak::bigsmile:. Cheers Alan, I'll make one more check...then start looking around:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
come on all the info is on the lcence . it runs out the day before your 70th birhday.
i take it you also know your birthdate is part of your licence number .
its all part of the tricks they try to play.if you have nothing to hide doesnt matter really.
the computer stuff started in 74 if i remember right, thats why going back further is difficult for dvla.
but get a kwacka mines been faultless in 10yrs ,got to be the comfortablist bike i have ever had. get off ferry in plymouth ,in the morning can drive 508 miles to a friends house in france ,then party . all in one day. just loves to sit at about 70etc and stay there all day . just stop for fuel . and baguette and pate. swig of drink. get back on and ride. fully laden .sometimes pulling a trailer. pulls my teardrop caravan a treat but unfortunately its too wide to be legal so dont do it often.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And when you get to be a big boy you can have a REAL bike and knock out a 1000 miles a day with ease and in perfect comfort ( and still return 50MPG ) :winky: ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
go on then tell us what.. hee hee

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
when I got mine back

When I last renewed my licence they had removed my A licence.. complained and they put it back on... I have to have an auto clutch now ... I used to ride a Guzzie V1000a few years ago... have not risen a motorbike in the past 8 years or so.. doubt I would.. but it is my entitlement and I want it on my licence... like I wanted a bus pass at 60... have it, but never used it other than to prove I was entitled at a C&CC site to age discount and my B&Q card.

Often fancied a big trike.. oh one day maybe.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all things are possible bob , made quite a few for disabled riders .
at one time i was the county rep for the national association of bikers with a disabilty.
understand many of the needs. still have the mould for ourtrike bodies and lots of trike bits.
nice 3 seater for you your wife and the dog. you could maybe get a part on a clint eastwood film .ha ha .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
something odd happening here....

on my licence (plastic card) my bike entitlement is dated as 22/7/75 to 12/6/27.

no mention of any notes or time spans......just a full category 'A' bike licence.

after taking my car test in 1978 i have full entitlement to A, B, BE, B1, C1, C1E, D1, D1E.

does anyone know what cat B1 is for ?......i cant work out what the picture/symbol on my card is.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa b1 is trike up to 550kg basically . and small 4 wheelers and vans . if having a combustion engine no bigger than 50cc.
strange you have that on ,usually its over ruled by other groups. group, a. covers it . so they usually miss it off.
bet youhave a few others as well. in small print.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

on my licence (plastic card) my bike entitlement is dated as 22/7/75 to 12/6/27.

no mention of any notes or time spans......just a full category 'A' bike licence.

after taking my car test in 1978 [HI]i have full entitlement to A, B, BE, B1, C1, C1E, D1, D1E.[/HI]

does anyone know what cat B1 is for ?......i cant work out what the picture/symbol on my card is.

I have exactly the same categories.:thumb:

B1; Motor tricycles, quadricycles and three or four wheeled vehicles with an unladen weight no more than 550 kg.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Hope that helps..

Callum

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
go on then tell us what.. hee hee

Wellllllllllllllllllll

pretty much anything that is not a 'cruiser' !

my personal choices are BMW 1200GS and a couple of Blackbirds.. But one of the 1400GT kwaka's maybe, or a Pan European.. crikey the list is huge !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i must say i really do find my drifter really comfortable . have had lots of other types but now i find its so smooth . handles much higher speeds but of course i dont like speeding .ha ha . i really dont get tired when on it. unfortunately its very heavy and as both legs are in calipers find it abit difficult at times . but shall keep it as long as i can. got trikes part built here but although i used to ride one when the kids were young i like the bike more now. find i use the suzuki grasstracker alot . its like being 16yr old again .250cc single . but also use the dax in winter . makes a good truck bike. best bit about the drifter is the gear change as the big toe and heel change . really good for clumsy feet like mine. good job we are all different . think 1000mls could be too far for me. ride down to near angouleme often . thats the furthest i have done . well in one hit .
i used to run a half beetle trike bit like a beach bastard but with no roof . found that was comfy. used to take four of us and the tear all over europe. but never quite did the full way to my friends . the kids always wanted to stop too long. ride free live to ride.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi pappa b1 is trike up to 550kg basically . and small 4 wheelers and vans . if having a combustion engine no bigger than 50cc.
strange you have that on ,usually its over ruled by other groups. group, a. covers it . so they usually miss it off.
bet youhave a few others as well. in small print.

thats why it made no sense Alan :thumb:
could be a throwback to my full bike licence before passing my car test allowing trikes,

and yes....cats F, K, L, N, P

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alan, next time you fancy a change do take a long look at the 1200GS.. They are no where near as tall as they look ( I have a 28" leg and am very comfortable on them.. Number one son is only 5' 6" and he has no problem either )
They are VERY comfortable and have plenty of room for gear shift .. In fact there are a couple of guys on one the foruma I infest that have both lost their left leg .. Both did the heel toe conversion in about 5 minutes :thumb:

Crwydryn

Free Member
Jan 5, 2012
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Compass 300
Exp
Nice to see some fellow bikers on here.:thumb:
Here is my ride.
Went up to the Artic circle last June,5000 mile round trip.
This year going to tow behind the van.::bigsmile:
Broken Link Removed

788kk.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

after taking my car test in 1978 i have full entitlement to A, B, BE, B1, C1, C1E, D1, D1E.

its a bloody milk float with a maximum weight of 500kg :Doh: and as a member on RVOC said.....how many milk floats weigh 500kg ? the batteries alone would weigh 500kg :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jaws . i have tried allsorts . built chops and race stuff . i really am only 5,5 inside leg 30ins . struggled all my life with short legs. got into building choppers in 72 just so i could ride some of the bikes. my mate runs southwest choppers . you might know howard . gets lots of good reviews. but i am getting that the 250 is enough .mind like i say i shall keep the drifter as long as i can ride it . had it since 2001 so its mine. my misses had a kwak 500 cruiser that was ok but a bit small. might get back into trikes just for me. kernow trikes was our trade name on them. built loads . i used to write articles or freeway magazine in france. at one time about the nabd in uk . but dropped out several years ago with so much travelling. as you might know this is the first winter i have had here for years. must say if you do 1000mls you are abetter rider than me. i,m getting that i dont want to go fast , must be getting old .ha ha . how slow can we go thats our motto . no tolls ,no m,ways, dont use a dual carriage way, if there is a service road. always take the difficult road where ever possible . never miss out on an adventure. might grow up one day but not holding my breathe .

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
thats why it made no sense Alan :thumb:
could be a throwback to my full bike licence before passing my car test allowing trikes,

and yes....cats F, K, L, N, P

Coincidence....

I have the same categories.

I also passed my bike test before my car test.....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Done Aberdeen and back ( from here in Thetford ) in a day on a CX500 once..
Lake Garda in a day.. plus a fair few other odds and sods in the way of runs.
On long runs riding fast is a major no no I reckon.. I just sort of dial in mid 80's and keep on going.. Iron butt helps though !

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought I would try biking a few years back having not ridden anything since my Yamaha 50 fs1e when I was 16.

Did my CBT then bought a new Honda Varadero 125. Never really got on with it though. It was a bit heavy for me I think:Blush:

I think I should have persevered because I really like the look of some of the big bikes.

By the way Jaws my Honda is probably in your area as I sold it to a mate in Lenwade just outside Norwich:thumb:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
its a bloody milk float with a maximum weight of 500kg :Doh: and as a member on RVOC said.....how many milk floats weigh 500kg ? the batteries alone would weigh 500kg :roflmto:

Its for the ones pulled by horses mate:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I should have persevered because I really like the look of some of the big bikes.

Little bikes is where the fun is.

A big bike controls you to an extent.

A little bike, like my F650CS, does as it's told.

Depends on what you want to do, I would not want to tour on this bike but local fun it's just amazing. I think 750 is a great size for touring, will haul two of us at a steady 200 with me looking nervously in the mirrors and wife just hanging on.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yer but big cc bikes are very relaxing to ride over long distances.. nice low revs and little windage.

Course there is also the fun side of things.. especially with a Blackbird

Couple of track day shots... and errrr

Attachments

• BrandsHatch.jpg
    BrandsHatch.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 8
  • punchy1.jpg
    punchy1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
  • borrowd leathers donny.jpg
    borrowd leathers donny.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 9

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Little bikes is where the fun is.

A big bike controls you to an extent.

A little bike, like my F650CS, does as it's told.

Depends on what you want to do, I would not want to tour on this bike but local fun it's just amazing. I think 750 is a great size for touring, will haul two of us [HI]at a steady 200[/HI] with me looking nervously in the mirrors and wife just hanging on.

At a steady 200, I'm surprised she can actually hang on.......:RollEyes:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I may be talking to the big boys now ha ha but I passed my scooter test in 2000 and then I understood that I couldn't ride anything bigger than a 125cc but after reading this thread it might be different, I am not sure until you lot enlighten me...please.
I have the A1 category with a picture of a bike next to it on my licence,with a from and to date next to it, does that mean I can ride a bigger normal bike than a 125cc scooter?
Just curious as I haven't had a bike for 7 years now and wondered if the DVLA has cocked this one up in MY favour?
Trish

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I passed my bike test in 76 and had lots of bikes up until 1990 when kids got in the way ... Then a few weeks ago got the chance of a Hayabusa and took the plunge again , all I can say is bloody hell they dont half go these days :Eeek:

This is my Son posing on Her :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When you change the rear tyre on that Busa ( about every 1500 to 2000 miles on average ! ) , go with the Avon jobby..
Avone used a Busa, a Bird and a 1400 kwak as test bikes so the tyres are absolutely perfect for them ( and in the rain they grip like dirt to a wedding dress too !! )

Here is one of my old Blackbirds.. It is a 1200 and as you can see has a rather interesting ( ahem ) bottle hanging off the side

I never built this one, it came as part of a company I bought out a few years ago.. The chap who built it is a really great engineer.
The bike was used in a Performance Bikes article about beating GATSO's.. Anything over 175 and the GATSO only got in one flash so no worries there.. At 215 mph it did not see it at all !

Attachments

• P1000062s.jpg
    P1000062s.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back