Lake District , where to stay? (1 Viewer)

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi all, we are thinking of going up to the lakes this year and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to the best places to stay.
We will be going for 1-2 weekss, not sure of exact dates, but it wont be school holidays, too many kids around:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Thanks
Mark

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Big question....

Do you want to walk? Climb? Views? Row? Golf? etc etc

Narrow it down a bit

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Slightly west, Ravenglass C&CC site, quaint village, nice walks along coast and to Muncaster Castle, Muncaster is particularly good if you visit when rhodedendrons are in bloom (early June). You also have the Ravenglass to Eskdale railway adjacent to the site which is well worth a visit. Tend not to get a lot of children on site, even in high season.
Geoff.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you dont need hook up have a look at the motorhome aire in Ambleside

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
re Keswick c&cc - a few minutes walk gets you to the bus terminus - plenty of options from there without needing to move the van.

There is an open top bus service down into Borrowdale (weather permitting) and rambler services around the area.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Miller Field in Ambleside is worth considering, only a short walk into the town and bus stop. Will post more details later when I can find them.

Brisey.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Although not yet been, I'm planning on using Skelwith Fold when I stay there.

It's just short of 2 miles from Ambleside, so easy walk into town. It has lots of facilities including a drying room and a dog and bike wash. So perfect for Mountain Biking and Walking.

http://www.skelwithfold.co.uk/

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Lake district

ME and the wife plus my dog stayed on Windermere sight atSTAVEL,about 5mls from windermere.Hard standing very good shop with pub nxt door good food.all the amenities,even big enough 4 american rv,s.sorry about the missing words:STAVELEY.good hunting,all the best THE BANDIT:thumb:

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi Mark, as said before Millersfield Ambleside, cheap and cheerful bang in the centre of totown. We stayed there over Xmas.
Mike:Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Miller Field in Ambleside is worth considering, only a short walk into the town and bus stop. Will post more details later when I can find them.

Miller Field Camping, Rothay Road, Ambleside, LA22 0EE.
follow the sign for Miller Bridge Car Park which will bring you to the entrance gate.
Secure motorhome camping in the centre of Ambleside, based on the European "aires" System. We have 18 hardstanding pitches open all year round and a further 30 seasonal grass pitches. Facilities are limited to fresh water supply, toilet emptying point and secure camping within a two minute walk of Amblesides amenities. If possible you are advised to book in advance.

e-mail mfmcambles@hotmail.com
phone or text 07708 310986 (after 5:30pm)

stating name, Reg No. contact phone No. and proposed dates.

The above is from Miller Fields flyer, last years charge was £10 per van per night there is a discount for MCC members.

Hope this is of use to you
Brisey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
CC site Coniston. Nice walk across fields into town. Cruise on the lake. Nice site in thick wood though the warden said some complain of too many trees.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
If ya wanna wake up next to conniston water there is a nice site there only a short walk from the village...from conniston go down the right hand side of the lake and look out for the sign on the left.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Miller Field at Ambleside is a fantastic place.

This shows how close the 'aire' (bottom right), is to the town:
(that's our van down there!)

Link Removed

And, from a different perspective, how close the town, above the kid's right ear, is to the lake:

Link Removed

Oh, and for all the argument on here about car parks and laybys, dump points and water taps, this is proper wild camping :Smile:

Link Removed

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Lake District

Try Castlerigg Hall or Farm 10 minutes walk into Keswick. Loads of walks around Keswick.

Sweets1985

Free Member
Jan 16, 2012
South
Funster No
MH
Micro
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've stayed at Fallbarrow holiday park, which is located in the centre of the Lake District. Broken Link Removed

We used this holiday park as our base and went off to explore the Lake District during the day and took advantage of the parks facilities at night!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back