Wilmslow, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hoping for one soon!
Exp
Hi
We are confused and are hoping you can help us!! :helpsos:

We are looking for our first motorhome. ::bigsmile:
We're on a low budget (hopefully less than £10k but maybe a tad more) and don't know what to get!

We want the motorhome for lots of long weekends away in the uk mountain biking and walkingand we also have a dog.

Wishlist:
Storage for wet muddy kit and bikes would be great.
4 berth (even though theres just two of us).
We would like a permanent bed so we don't have to keep making it up and to allow us to get up/go to bed at different times. We're happy with a high raised bed or over cab bed for this purpose.
A small space the dog can call her own would be wonderful! Even if its under the table! We hired a van conversion once and found the dog had to lay in the corridor which was quite awkward and when we pulled the bed out the only space left was a little square in front of the toilet door - not ideal!!
We like the look of the low profile vans and also the idea that they might be a bit better on fuel consumption.

Were open to any ideas! So can anybody help us with any suggestions? We'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks very much :thumb:

Mary

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
for a first low budget motorhome i would say anything based on the transit 2.5Di
it may not be the most popular choice but spares are relatively easy to find and if the timing belt happens to break it doesn't cost as much to repair as many other vans you will find in the price range.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Were open to any ideas! So can anybody help us with any suggestions? We'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks very much :thumb:

Mary

Get thee to Spinney, a sit in a few is worth 1000 words. I doubt their prices will suit but they won't know this. Once you know a lot more then start searching the web or ebay for a private sale.

Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I agree with Hilldweller.Get to look at as many as possible at a dealers and then get looking an e-bay or any other sites.There is no substitute for actually getting in vans and 'testing' how they work for you.Good luck.
John and Carole:Cool:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Agree with above too. You cant smell a photo.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MET

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Wilmslow, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hoping for one soon!
Exp
:Smile:

We were hoping people might have some suggestions on the models that might suit us?

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Met, there are so many different models out there you would not believe.

I know 10k is a lot of money, but its not a lot in motorhome world, so you need to fit your budget to your expectations.
You could get a very well built but very old van, say like an old Hymer, or try and go for something budget end of the market but slightly newer like a CI.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Have you considered a self build conversion? type of thing Link Removed

So it's up to you, but asking for a particular model would be difficult for us to do. Hopefully though, the above will give you some options to look at..:thumb:

Good luck
Haggers

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
for a first low budget motorhome i would say anything based on the transit 2.5Di
it may not be the most popular choice but spares are relatively easy to find and if the timing belt happens to break it doesn't cost as much to repair as many other vans you will find in the price range.

As the owner of a 2.5 Transit, I can confirm that the Duratorq engine fitted to these has a cam CHAIN.

Ithangyew

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
As the owner of a 2.5 Transit, I can confirm that the Duratorq engine fitted to these has a cam CHAIN.

Ithangyew
he is talking about the pre duratorq engine:thumb:
the 2.5 banana engine,if it broke a belt it would bend a pushrod or snap a rocker and was an easy fix very rare it would bend a valve:thumb:bomb proof:thumb:

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Hi Met, there are so many different models out there you would not believe.

I know 10k is a lot of money, but its not a lot in motorhome world, so you need to fit your budget to your expectations.
You could get a very well built but very old van, say like an old Hymer, or try and go for something budget end of the market but slightly newer like a CI.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Have you considered a self build conversion? type of thing Link Removed

So it's up to you, but asking for a particular model would be difficult for us to do. Hopefully though, the above will give you some options to look at..:thumb:

Good luck
Haggers

I hate you Haggers...................

I lurv the Hymer, and the Iveco appeals too.............

Rushes off to check piggy bank.......................

:cry::cry::cry:

Upvote 0

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Please please take your time have a good look around and make sure the one you chose is the right one for you.

We have lost a lot of silly money by jumping in - yes most Motorhomes you walk into are super and you are apt to think "yes this is us" then puff---- you buy it and find out that something is not quite right for you.:Doh:

Good luck hope you find something you will love - we have now thank goodness

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would echo two pieces of advice already given: one, consider an old good quality van rather than a newer budget model; two, spend a lot of time trying out layouts.
We have bought only one van - five years ago. It took us three months to decide what we wanted, but then only three weeks to find it. At the NEC show, we spent two hours going back and forth between two vans, and that was after we had more or less worked out what we wanted. Having done that with new ones, we went off and bought something else second-hand - but the 'faffing about' had helped us decide what was important.

If you buy an old good quality van, it will have stopped depreciating to any significant degree, so if you get it really wrong, you should be able to re-sell without a huge hole in the finances. Find one that has been well cared for; perhaps has had a recent refit or major mechanical things checked / replaced. The link below shows the kind of thing I am referring to - and it's £10,000 ono.

Link Removed

Good luck with the search.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back