Trailers (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I am sure this will have been asked loads of times but I can't find it at the moment, so help please.

I don't like to be seperated from my motorbike for too long so I am having a secure trailer built so that the bike goes with us. It will also be useful for local touring when parked up for a couple of days and for shopping trips (big panniers).

Is there a problem on sites with trailers? I know that some sites charge extra for them and the bike, but is there a problem in general?

We also intend to take the bike with us abroad at some stage and I wondered if this had it's own particular problems.
Obviously ferry fares would be higher due to the increase in length, but do I need extra insurance etc?

Any information is most welcome. :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi have seen loads of box trailers on sites with larger motorhomes especially either with a couple of scooters etc in.
they then can be used as drying rooms generator storage etc.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I pull a large trailer no problems

I am sure this will have been asked loads of times but I can't find it at the moment, so help please.

I don't like to be seperated from my motorbike for too long so I am having a secure trailer built so that the bike goes with us. It will also be useful for local touring when parked up for a couple of days and for shopping trips (big panniers).

Is there a problem on sites with trailers? I know that some sites charge extra for them and the bike, but is there a problem in general?

We also intend to take the bike with us abroad at some stage and I wondered if this had it's own particular problems.
Obviously ferry fares would be higher due to the increase in length, but do I need extra insurance etc?

Any information is most welcome. :thumb:

I drive an RV and with the trailer I am 45' long.. the trailer being 20' .. I take it on the channel tunnel, no problems and found most sites in france do not have an issue with it. In the UK the C&C and CCC tend to get there nickers in a twist.. but you can normally work round it. The shows we go to throughout the year .. joining MHF crown seem to sort out several of us with trailers with no problems.

Go of it. If it is a small one I would not think you will have some of the issues we have re the signs on the back that relate to how long we are... just remember it is a maximum of 90 kph with a trailer in France and the UK you cannot go in the outside lane of the motorway and deepen dent on the weight of the motorhome you may be lim tied to 55 mph on motorways.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I had thought about using it for storage and it should be quite useful.

The length would only be approx 32 feet as my MH is 24' and the trailer overall is about 12'.
As the MH is on a 3.5 tonne Peugot chassis (Elddis Classique 150) weight shouldn't be a problem either.

I should have said that I am a Class 1 HGV holder and have driven most places in the UK and Europe, so towing a trailer is not a problem. I am mainly concerned about site rules and regulations that may crop up, such as the CC and CCC as you say, getting their knickers in a twist.

One thing that I hadn't really taken into account was informing my insurance company that I would be towing a trailer. Bet that puts the premium up.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do not see why the insurance should go up

I had thought about using it for storage and it should be quite useful.

The length would only be approx 32 feet as my MH is 24' and the trailer overall is about 12'.
As the MH is on a 3.5 tonne Peugot chassis (Elddis Classique 150) weight shouldn't be a problem either.

I should have said that I am a Class 1 HGV holder and have driven most places in the UK and Europe, so towing a trailer is not a problem. I am mainly concerned about site rules and regulations that may crop up, such as the CC and CCC as you say, getting their knickers in a twist.

One thing that I hadn't really taken into account was informing my insurance company that I would be towing a trailer. Bet that puts the premium up.

My insurance has not gone up? as it is covered by the RV's insurance.. but I do not have cover on the trailer it's self..... You will need to display the 90 kph sticker on the trailer if going to France. and have two triangles not one. If you book one of the MHF shows it is worth letting the marshals know you have a trailer... Worth thinking about is having a sign in French that says towing, as I used to have a real problem with a smaller scooter trailer that was a pig to back up.. and from the front people could not see it as it was within the size of the RV.. these days I have a sign I stick to the front screen when ... one in English in the UK saying Towing ... had a number plate done with the words and use suckers to stick it on the window and when going on the euro tunnel I switch it for the French words.. saves a lot of aggro ..and not having to back up.... larger vehicle has right of way.. especially with a trailer.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One thing that I hadn't really taken into account was informing my insurance company that I would be towing a trailer. [HI]Bet that puts the premium up[/HI].

I'm pretty sure most m/h insurances cover towing a trailer in any case but you would need to ensure the trailer was also insured.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
mine is covered for Third party claims

I'm pretty sure most m/h insurances cover towing a trailer in any case but you would need to ensure the trailer was also insured.

Safeguard say the trailer when attached to my RV is covered for third party claims... where as the RV is comprehensive I do not cover the trailer....

Bob:Sad:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Safeguard say the trailer [HI]when attached to my RV[/HI] is covered for third party claims... where as the RV is comprehensive I do not cover the trailer....

Bob:Sad:

so what happens if the trailer somehow un-attaches it self from the RV???

Upvote 0

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Forest Holidays, which are now a susidery of camping and caravaning club charge £5 per night for a trailer. We discovered this when we spent an overnight at Setthorns in the New Forest. We even ponted out that we were not taking the car off the trailer and we were going first thing in the morning..... all to no avail. I wonder what response they would get if they charged for a car on the other end of a caravan?
Adrian.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Knockinonabit......

I tow the below, with either a car a trike or one of my Harleys in (A mans bike :ROFLMAO: )

I come out a smidging under 50 ft long...

I have never had a problem getting on a site, but abroad I do e.mail and ask..

Most sites have a car park and if you cannot get the trailer on your pitch they will let you stick it in the car park.. (Take a wheel Clamp & Hitchlock with you)..

Good luck.. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF1874 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCF1874 (600 x 450).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1877 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCF1877 (600 x 450).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many, if not all, insurers cover a trailer as part of your normal insurance BUT only the trailer, not whats in/on it and it must be attached to be covered, but obviously, if it comes unhooked while driving you are still covered.
when unhitched, there will be no cover.
it will also only be to cover third party damage, not damage to the trailer.

many campsites wont charge extra if you can completely fit the trailer on your pitch...other will charge.

Upvote 0

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Forest Holidays, which are now a susidery of camping and caravaning club charge £5 per night for a trailer. We discovered this when we spent an overnight at Setthorns in the New Forest. We even ponted out that we were not taking the car off the trailer and we were going first thing in the morning..... all to no avail. I wonder what response they would get if they charged for a car on the other end of a caravan?
Adrian.

Dont go back and tell them why, ive towed a twin axel car trailer for the last 5 years since not taking the scoot in the garage any more, ive never had any issues with the CC or CCC or been charged the only time ive been charged was on a private site as nice as it was i wont go back as above in my mind theres no differance with a car and caravan just the other way round.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You also need to get up to date info on the regs regarding riding bikes abroad. For instance, in France it is now compulsory to have 4 reflective stickers on your helmet and there is talk of a reflective patch, waistcoat or whatever to cover the area between your lower back and shoulders.

Upvote 0

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Great Post. Im going to be touring europe this year towing a motorcycle on a motolug collapsible trailer it folds up small enough to store in the MH when not in use. it may be cheaper for me to store the trailer and pay for both vehicles to drive on the ferry any probs on sites and Il store it. It may be the case that its hardly ever on the trailer once over the water as we only plan on moving maybe an hour on any move so the wife will drive the MH and follow me.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we tow a trailer with a car on it. :thumb: In the UK we do shows /rallies with fun, rally with the MCC or C & C C and do the temporary holiday sites and use Cs sites. :Smile: We don't do sites that charge extra for extra car / trailer or dogs, the only thing we pay extra for is electric.:winky::ROFLMAO:
Even here in Spain, if they charge extra for anything other than electric we go to the next one. ::bigsmile:

Our motorhome / trailer and the Smart car are Insured Saga, we use them mainly because they have no restrictions on 90 days for europe on the Insurance or breakdown cover ::bigsmile: And they Insured my trailer valued at £1200 for UK and Europe attached and detached and it cost me £15 :Smile: when I first took it out it was £19 but it went down last time we renewed it.:thumb: Bob.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
You also need to get up to date info on the regs regarding riding bikes abroad. For instance, in France it is now compulsory to have 4 reflective stickers on your helmet and there is talk of a reflective patch, waistcoat or whatever to cover the area between your lower back and shoulders.

I don't expect to be riding the bike in France as the authorities there seem to be taking a very hard line at the moment with motorists/motorcyclists. I have heard of the four reflective sticker rule (one front, two side and one rear) but it would appear the other stuff won't be coming into force until 2013/14.

One of the rules they want to bring in is that if you are 50kph or more over the posted speed limit it will now become a criminal offence for which you can go to jail, as well as pay a hefty fine.

If this stuff catches on they will be pushing for the rest of the EU countries to follow suite.
You have been warned.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back