Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
.planning our first trip abroad. was thinking of tunnel/calais then heading through france via rouen/orleans/millau/pepignon-girona then onto the costa brava. anyone done this route. even so i would appreciate some advice. the earliest i can go is around the 3rd week in june due to commitments and returning before the end of july. how busy will it be on the aires . what is the weather like typically/ we are really looking forward to this and had hoped to go earlier. but wondered if we should wait until early sept. all/any info much appreciated

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
.planning our first trip abroad. was thinking of tunnel/calais then heading through france via rouen/orleans/millau/pepignon-girona then onto the costa brava. anyone done this route. even so i would appreciate some advice. the earliest i can go is around the 3rd week in june due to commitments and returning before the end of july. how busy will it be on the aires . what is the weather like typically/ we are really looking forward to this and had hoped to go earlier. but wondered if we should wait until early sept. all/any info much appreciated
About blooming time, have a fantastic trip and don't get stuck in a low tunnel:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

It's about as busy as it will get in July due to Continental school holidays.

By end first week of September all the French are back to work with most of the sites if required still open.
I believe that September will will ideal in Spain as not roasting as in July.

Think your route depends on whether you want to see particular things and if you travel motorways or non motorway, or a combination of both.

Eurotunnel have high demand times and dates, so play around with different times on the days you choose as the prices can differ greatly.

Whatever you do it will the holiday of a lifetime as a first overseas trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

Good route, which can be done without tolls except of course for the Milau bridge which you must cross (e9.50 last year).
The Aires are likely to be busy but avoiding the tourist towns and cities should help.

Just do a little research on where not to overnight such as Motorway Aires etc. and you'll be OK.

The weather is likely to get hotter as you go south and very hot in Spain but not unbearable, as a rule.
The first time is always the best as it is an adventure all the way.

Pete:Cool:

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
First time in France

::bigsmile:I did most of that route 2 years ago in May. We started off slightly different by going down to the Loire stopping at Louches near Tours. We then took the N943 to Clermont Ferrand. Then joined the toll free A75 via the Millau viaduct to Montpelliep. From there we joined the N613,N609 to the Spanish border. There were plenty of camp sites long the way and i would advise getting a ACSI camping card to save on site fee as most sites accept them in June but not in July and August. We then stayed at Estartit at Les Dudes on the Costa Brava. Overall we thoughly enjoyed the whole trip and plan on doing it again in 2013. Take time to stop in Maliau Town, plenty of Acsi camp sites near the river and well wrth a visit.::bigsmile: Enjoy::bigsmile:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

Hi Martin.

Be prepared for the heat.

We usually go in May and again in October and it is very hot then. So it will be really hot in June and July.

We stay on campsites so can't advise you on Aires.
Driving on the right is a doddle so you won't have a problem with that.
Roads are so much better than in England and less traffic.

Call in and see Frankie, we did and she really does know how to make you welcome. She cooked us a fabulous meal. Great hostess.

Are you taking your dog with you?

We took our three dogs for the first time last October. They soon got used to the heat and spent most of the time asleep underneath the van.
We went the tunnel way and came back tunnel way because of the dogs being with us.

You will love it and want to do it again.

Have fun

Lesley

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
hi martin.

Be prepared for the heat.

We usually go in may and again in october and it is very hot then. So it will be really hot in june and july.

We stay on campsites so can't advise you on aires.
Driving on the right is a doddle so you won't have a problem with that.
Roads are so much better than in england and less traffic.

call in and see frankie, we did and she really does know how to make you welcome. She cooked us a fabulous meal. Great hostess.

Are you taking your dog with you?

We took our three dogs for the first time last october. They soon got used to the heat and spent most of the time asleep underneath the van.
We went the tunnel way and came back tunnel way because of the dogs being with us.

You will love it and want to do it again.

Have fun

lesley

lol snap!!!!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The French school holidays start around 5th July for 2012 so you may miss the traffic going down BUT I anywhere down that way will be busy in July.. We did it once to Santa Susanna in July NEVER AGAIN.. just managed to "squeeze" into the spot they gave me and the place was packed... Cant comment on aires but usual info for that time of year is get on early ie 3-4pm...and have a back up plan.

Now September.. !! Far more civalised and we often go as soon as the kids go back to school here in UK.. sites and aires are all a lot quieter, camp fees go down and the weather is still great..

The route is fine, done it loads of time and you can also go down the A20 route and via Toulouse. Which I prefer, very little in time or distance using either route.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
OMG​

You had me worried there for a moment Martin...

I thought you might get near to my paradise and spoil the calm with your cavorting and late night drinking sessions... but I see you are staying well away...

PHEW!​

JJ :Cool:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
OMG​

You had me worried there for a moment Martin...

I thought you might get near to my paradise and spoil the calm with your cavorting and late night drinking sessions... but I see you are staying well away...

PHEW!​

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
lynn tells me we have to get as far as we can keep a look out

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If going to Costa Brave I would suggest the last week in May and first 3 weeks in June and then leg it out of there. I stayed at a nice little site near l'escala in June a few years ago for 100 euros for the week. Right next to the beach . Not right in a resort but a pleasant walk round the cliffs gives you bars and promenade. There are about 5 local bars though.

Have fun:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I'm not sure if they let "Scallies" into Spain.

Doug...

I think they do and plenty of them.

I was in the Costa del Sol about 10 years ago on a lads break and it was a bit of an eye opener. I was "introduced" to Tony Sibson ( ex boxer) even though I didn't ask to be :Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sea France learn Yosser Hughes is on his way to France and immediately go into liquidation...:ROFLMAO:

PS... I have stayed many, many, many nights on French motorway service stations and never had any hint of trouble...

...anyway... Tilly would frighten any bad person away...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wont you need to apply to the magistrates first for your passport back?

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
are you determined to go tunnel? Caravan club is offering 29 GBP each way Dover Dunkirk again this year, and it covers all days, and most sailings from what I can see. If you are not members it is worth joining just for this offer...

David

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Sea France learn Yosser Hughes is on his way to France and immediately go into liquidation...:ROFLMAO:

PS... I have stayed many, many, many nights on French motorway service stations and never had any hint of trouble...

...anyway... Tilly would frighten any bad person away...

I used to use French and Spanish Motorway Aires until I got robbed on one on the A75 near Milau.:Sad: No I wasn't gassed, but I was asleep in the bed at the back.
By the time I woke up, they were making their getaway.:Angry:

Pete:Cool: Well not so:Cool: that night:Blush:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've stayed at Camping Rifort at Estartit a couple of times. Friendly, family run site with good faclities and within easy walking distance of the town centre and beaches.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used to use French and Spanish Motorway Aires until I got robbed on one on the A75 near Milau.:Sad: No I wasn't gassed, but I was asleep in the bed at the back.
By the time I woke up, they were making their getaway.:Angry:

Pete:Cool: Well not so:Cool: that night:Blush:

I am sorry to learn of your experience... My friend Micky had the same experience but not on a motorway aire... parked up with loads of other motorhomes.

But the thing is you can get robbed anywhere...

I am not sure that a motorway service aire is any more risky than any other...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yosser, tip for you mate...
Thought I should mention this as it IS your first trip, so ........

When folk talk about using the tunnel, please be aware they GET ON A TRAIN.

You cannot simply drive through it mate

Just thought I ought to clarify :thumb:

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years

Now decided on September thanks all for your advice

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
French trip

Le Yosseur,Are you joining the Foreign Legion ,Have you got your french knickers ,is France ready for this ? Do the french loaf ? so much to see and so little time Bon Voyage:roflmto::thumb:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Aires

No problem getting onto Aires if you get there early enough. Start looking to park up between 3pm and 5pm and you will have no trouble whatsoever especially if you are going in September Enjoy your trip:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back