Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Awning for Motorhome

Interesting post, because we were going to look into getting one for the Elddis 180. Are there "porch awnings" or larger ones where you can leave all your wet stuff outside during the wet weather?

We really don't know where to start either:RollEyes:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Prior to buying an awning I would make sure that it is what you want.

The reason I ask this many years ago we purchased an awning when we first purchased a motorhome and found that it never got used, we did not stay in one place long enough to use it, not saying that you don't need, one just asking. We still don't have one.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Prior to buying an awning I would make sure that it is what you want.

The reason I ask this many years ago we purchased an awning when we first purchased a motorhome and found that it never got used, we did not stay in one place long enough to use it, not saying that you don't need one just asking. We still don't have one.

I bought a pre owned driveaway and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread-for about 3 trips !!
Think about dismantling it in pouring rain and packing it away wet-not much fun.
Ours has been in loft at home for 2 yrs now-we might get it out again if we start doing more than 3 days at a time in UK,but touring europe using aires and Passion type sites it's a no-no.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
I bought a pre owned driveaway and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread-for about 3 trips !!
Think about dismantling it in pouring rain and packing it away wet-not much fun.
Ours has been in loft at home for 2 yrs now-we might get it out again if we start doing more than 3 days at a time in UK,but touring europe using aires and Passion type sites it's a no-no.
Mike

how about selling me it (cheap)
we will be using it when we have family with us

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We've got one too ... pic. in our 'album' Alice/Delyth ... debating whether we really need it still ... :whatthe:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There is no single answer, it will depend on you.

We have one (see pic) currently at Zahora and as we stay in the sun for the winter we find it invaluable when staying on one site for a month at a time. It is then packed away and we tour back to the UK so it never goes up again.

If you like moving often, don't bother but the room it gives you when stationary for a while is really useful.

Attachments

• DSCI1257.JPG
    DSCI1257.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 28
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This is really the £Million dollar question!!:Sad: we have had several awnings over the years including " drive away" type all have their plusses and minusses ( mostly minisses ).
we now use the Fiamma wind out with a sun screen in summer and a "Kampa motor Rally 260" in winter.
neither are drive away. i personally found the drive away a pain to put up and to re line up the van with any precission that i was happy with:Eeek:.

its all a matter of personal preference and none of us can tell you your solution.:Blush:

my advice is get out on site and explore what others have got there is nothing like physically seing & feeling! what you are considering spending many of you hard earned £'s.:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
how about selling me it (cheap)
we will be using it when we have family with us

Management informs me that we should take it to Marjal :Doh: What we'll do with it for the 2 mths after Marjal Whilst we tour slowly home heaven only knows-when not being used it takes up valuable wine storage space.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Management informs me that we should take it to Marjal :Doh: [HI]What we'll do with it for the 2 mths after Marjal Whilst we tour slowly home heaven only knows-when not being used it takes up valuable wine storage space.[/HI]
Mike.

Mike is correct... :thumb: if moving every few days is your plan then an awning ( apart from the easy wind out ) is a waste of valuable space and payload.
In winter its good to have some additional place to hang the coat or boots or mostly " Dry the DOG " :Angry: and worth a bit of effort.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We had ours fitted on the Autosleeper at a show by 'Biggles Airlines' (JCMH) and its not something I would suggest that you try by yourself, its a 2 person (see being PC correct) job and to be honest when you see the experts fit one its an education..

There you go, a free ShiftZZ consultancy..

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
best idea is a large pub garden type parasol and a box trailer.
that way if its wet you can dry stuff in the trailer.
you can sit under your large umbrella in the sun and you have loads of extra wine storage for your journey home.:thumb::thumb:

hmmm just thought what about a wind out awning on the box trailer... that way you have a nice solid wind break too.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
best idea is a large pub garden type parasol and a box trailer.
that way if its wet you can dry stuff in the trailer.
you can sit under your large umbrella in the sun and you have loads of extra wine storage for your journey home.:thumb::thumb:

hmmm just thought what about a wind out awning on the box trailer... that way you have a nice solid wind break too.
if only we could win the lotto then all things are possible lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back