Need help looking for new motorhome (Hymer C524?) (1 Viewer)

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone! Need the help of the hive mind!

We've been getting fed up watching our endowment steadily shrivel over the years, and it's got to the stage where we've had enough of throwing good money at it monthly, knowing that it won't reach its target. So throwing caution to the wind (we won't need a 4 bed house when the kids are gone, will we?) we're cashing it in and using the money to buy something we'll really enjoy. I believe it's what's called "ski-ing" :ROFLMAO:

So - we've just started the quest to find our next motorhome. We want a decent sized garage to store stuff for shows (gazebo, counter, banners, books, etc.) and we like a coachbuilt with overcab bed because we've got used to throwing all the stuff we don't use during the day (coats, bags, jumpers, etc.) up there!

Our initial searches have stumbled upon the Hymer C524 as a suitable candidate.

Our daughter is the only one coming with us nowadays so the bunk beds at the back will be fine. And we like the fact that it's still compact at only 19ft long.

Anyone got anything they can tell us about them? Or even better, anyone willing to let us come and have a look at theirs? We're in north Essex.

Of course we're open to other suggestions...

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumb:

Steve

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
how much weight of books etc are you planning on taking with you???
i would say payload is the second most important thing to consider after layout.
there are many vans with similar layouts but their payload can vary from just about enough to more than ample.

i would weigh everything that you plan on putting in the motorhome and see exactly where you are at i know its a pain but it can stop you being overweight.

then find a van that can carry it all comfortably but don't be fooled by large rear lockers because most you can only put a handful of stuff in due to the leverage over the rear axle.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just wondering why do you need to change vans, surely if the Dethleffs you have now is ok and you can manage with that then why waste money changing it???

just a thought

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
just wondering why do you need to change vans, surely if the Dethleffs you have now is ok and you can manage with that then why waste money changing it???

just a thought
I was just thinking the same too Andy.

Steve, you may well find that your current Dethleff may be of a better quality build than a newer Hymer, and may possibly have a better payload too. .

Regards,

Jock.

P.S. When does the 2012 Britstops become available?

OP
OP
s7ev0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hmmmmm, many thanks for that, guys. Food for thought indeed.

We know our old Dethleffs is a great quality build, but it's a right royal pain carrying all our gear to shows piled up in the habitation area (with whatever children we have with us), not to mention a faff getting it in and out. Just seemed to us that it'd be much easier all round to be able to pop it in and out of a garage from the outside.

Will definitely look at the payload though, as boxes of books are quite heavy.

Looked at a few at Wellsbridge Motorhomes yesterday while on a jaunt up to north Norfolk, and they had a good selection, but not so many with garages.

Thing is, I suppose we're looking for a motorhome that has the properties of a tardis... :RollEyes: Still, early days, and I guess just like when we bought a house, there will have to be some compromising on our list of "must haves".

Still keen on hearing any one else's views!

Steve
PS. Work on 2012 edition going well, will be out early March, Jock.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi BritStops, have you considered fitting a tow-bar and using a small trailer. Just a thought.

Brisey.

OP
OP
s7ev0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Brisey, another good suggestion we hadn't thought of. I think the problem is that now we've started looking for a replacement motorhome, it's difficult to reign in the enthusiasm! To be honest I'm not keen on towing (probably the main reason we bought a motorhome and not a caravan in the first place), so think we'll bypass trailers as an option.

Steve

My wife has just pointed out that with a name like Brit Stops, maybe we should be looking for a British-built motorhome - s'pose she's got a point!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You are linking to the wrong site

Hello Brit Stops

I just had a look at your web site and was very surprised to see NO link to Motorhome Fun, but you have one to Motorhome Facts...

You should be very ashamed and rectify this at the earliest opportunity...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello Brit Stops

I just had a look at your web site and was very surprised to see NO link to Motorhome Fun, but you have one to Motorhome Facts...

You should be very ashamed and rectify this at the earliest opportunity...
Hi Viennese.

A friendly smiley perhaps, wouldn't have gone amiss in your post above. :winky:

Regards,

Jock.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry

Hi Viennese.

A friendly smiley perhaps, wouldn't have gone amiss in your post above. :winky:

Regards,

Jock.

I agree Jock, well said - I wasn't being seriously severe, but it would be easy to think I was! :Blush:

Catherine

OP
OP
s7ev0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Viennese, yes, there's been a longstanding note in the diary for a website update before the new book comes out in March! Am thinking of a categorised links page. Anyway, in the meantime have created a short forums list. :winky:

We've now found the Burstner A576, and quite like the idea of using the two cab seats for the dinette, thus saving a couple of feet on the length. Only way we think that can be improved is if the side seat could also be a single dinette.

Keep thinking it's a shame there's not a central online repository of all mhome makes, models and layouts! (There's not, is there?)

Steve

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
[HI]how much weight of books etc are you planning on taking with you???[/HI]i would say payload is the second most important thing to consider after layout.
there are many vans with similar layouts but their payload can vary from just about enough to more than ample.

i would weigh everything that you plan on putting in the motorhome and see exactly where you are at i know its a pain but it can stop you being overweight.

then find a van that can carry it all comfortably but don't be fooled by large rear lockers because most you can only put a handful of stuff in due to the leverage over the rear axle.

Forget books get a kindle

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Viennese, yes, there's been a longstanding note in the diary for a website update before the new book comes out in March! Am thinking of a categorised links page. Anyway, in the meantime have created a short forums list. :winky:

Steve

Well done Steve! That looks a lot better!

C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back