LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Our Rapido is 3850kg and therefore a Private HGV, does that mean that as a HGV that it cant go in the fast lane of the Motorway?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would say you would be fine but here is the guide lines

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving
any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
wouldn't be too sure on that one but as you can only legally do 60mph on the motorway as you are over 3500kg i wouldn't worry about it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
wouldn't be too sure on that one but as you can only legally do 60mph on the motorway as you are over 3500kg i wouldn't worry about it.

Not quite. Limit is 60 on a dual carriageway but 70 on a motorway - see link in my previous post :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Funnily enough I was involved in a case about this about 7-8 years ago.

Not really my area of law but I thought what the hell.

Facts were someone in a yank was pulled over for being in the fast lane. The individual must have contacted the USA firm ( cannot recall who it was ) and they asked my firm to challenge it on the basis that it wasn't classed as a HGV.

We turned up in Court and the prosecution offered no evidence so it was booted out.

There may have been cases since that I dont know about but certainly the CPS didn't fancy it at the time.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
yup these links are about as clear as mud.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Broken Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
anyway think of all that extra fuel you will save by doing 60 in that really non-aerodynamic motorhome:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
anyway think of all that extra fuel you will save by doing 60 in that really non-aerodynamic motorhome:thumb:
Until you come across some bloody minded middle lane hoggers (and there are lots of them), doing high 50 something, forcing you to speed up in order to pass them safely in the overtaking lane. :Angry:.............:winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i dont care 60mph is quite fast enough at least i may have a slightly better chance of stopping than if doing 70mph when the car driver cuts me up approaching the exit slip road that they nearly missed because their I-Phone seemed more important than the road signs:Doh:

although saying that i may be able to use 6th gear if i did 70.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Whats all this about a fast lane on a motorway or dual carriageway. I thought all other lanes other than the inside lane were overtaking lanes.:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Whats all this about a fast lane on a motorway or dual carriageway. I thought all other lanes other than the inside lane were overtaking lanes.:Smile:

I use the M25 a lot.

I find all lanes are overtaking lanes these days.

Just pick a lane and go for it.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Interestingly, the link provided by GJH earlier suggests that the Speed limits all change when the vehicle exceeds 3050 Kgs which is an unusual weight.

I had in my mind that the magic figure was infact 3500 Kgs ( 450 Kgs More )

Maybe a typo but never the less misleading

Neil

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interstingly, the link provided by GJH earlier suggests that the Speed limits all change when the vehicle exceeds 3050 Kgs which is an unusual weight.

Neil
Not a typo Neil. 3050 Kg is the metric equivalent of 3 Imperial tons. The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 uses metric weights but its predecessors used Imperial weights.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Interstingly, the link provided by GJH earlier suggests that the Speed limits all change when the vehicle exceeds 3050 Kgs which is an unusual weight.

Neil
Hi Neil,

No, the figure is definitely 3.05 tonnes (3,050kgs), which I agree is confusing. There must be thousands who have been caught out by that one.

BTW, there are two speed/safety cameras in Lincolnshire, on a single carriageway that I go through at 50mph in the MH, and although they always flash me, I never get a ticket. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I plod along at 60mph (100kph) when on motorways, I seem to get to my destination about the same time as the speeders doing 70 & 80 as they nearly always meet something to slow them down, usually someone in the outside lane doing 60mph.

Anyway the vehicle sways to much after 60mph especially if a slight side wind.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi Neil,

No, the figure is definitely 3.05 tonnes (3,050kgs), which I agree is confusing. There must be thousands who have been caught out by that one.

BTW, there are two speed/safety cameras in Lincolnshire, on a single carriageway that I go through at 50mph in the MH, and although they always flash me, I never get a ticket. :winky:Cheers,

Jock.

But, one day you might, Never take anything for granted

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I believe 3050kgs is in fact the unladen weight of the vehical that is restricted to 60mph

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
But, one day you might, Never take anything for granted
Why would I? I haven't exceeded the maximum speed limit for our 5 tonne MH on a single carriageway. :ROFLMAO:

It must either be the height being picked up by a height sensor, or the 3 x axles being picked up by sensors in the road, which sets the cameras off. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
except if towing

I have to keep to 55 mph max when I have the car trailer attached and cannot use the outside lane.

My RV with trailer is just under 7.5 tons.... out of interest..my Snooper is set up for my size, axles and weight plus the trailer... in some parts of the UK I am warned I am over speed as there is a lower limit on HGV's .. as my details entered show I am an HGV I could get flashed on the camera... not sure if the height activates them or what... but I gather a lot of trucks have come unstuck... in Europe my max speed is 90 kph which is the same as my 55 mpg in the UK.. which also is my best cruise speed as I run at 1800 to 1900 rpm ... being a petrol engined V10 6.8 I consider the speed v running costs are an issue. But must admit do get fed up looking at the back of trucks all the time in the slow lane.

Bob

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I find it very stressful following anything bigger than me that I can't see 100% round/through/past, for any distance even though it may be in the strictest interests of economy for our aerodynamic brick to stay there.

I stick it as long as I can then ask Pete to, 'Please overtake this lorry before my head explodes, dear' :roflmto:

Jenny

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just to throw petrol on the fire-----I was told/thought it went on wheel size (duno where that came from)I used to have a 7.5 ton ex bread delivery truck with 18 ins wheels that I was led to believe (rightly or wrongly) could go in lane 3 up to 70mph.Anything with above 18 ins wheels was restricted to lane 2 and 56 mph-About 4 yrs ago I was driving my sons 7.5 ton box van (18 ins wheels)in lane 3 when I passed a traffic cop car-hiding in front of a 30 tonner,so it was too late for me to duck in ::bigsmile:They never pulled me so I guess it must be OK as I am never that lucky to get away with anything like that.:Smile:
terry
It could be that over 18ins wheels require a class 3 ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for those who either never saw, or couldnt be bothered, to open Grahams link....

Attachments

• speed limits.jpg
    speed limits.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 46

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The weight of 3050kg is the unladen weight of the vehicle.
To have an unladen weight of more than 3050kg, this would be a bloody big vehicle.

Contrary to what many think, the vehicle's unladen weight cannot be readily checked. It is a manufacturer's statement, and is impossible to physically check this weight after manufacture is complete.
It is the weight of the vehicle as it leaves the production line, devoid of any crew, passengers, spare wheels, tools, loose equipment, fuels or fluids of any kind.

The common misapprehension seems to be that the "unladen" weight is what the thing weighs before a load of holiday kit, food, gas, etc. is loaded.
That would be the "Kerbside" weight, this being the vehicle in complete road going state without any crew or load.

That's how it is, and the figure of 3050 unladen is the one affecting limits, as GJH and PPJ say.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Our Rapido is 3850kg and therefore a Private HGV, does that mean that as a HGV that it cant go in the fast lane of the Motorway?

Yes you are allowed in the outside lane on the motorway. Be careful though. A lot of car drivers don't believe that you are allowed and don't expect you to pull out.

Your quite likely to get flashed by car drivers who don't think you should be there.

Jim
:Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have occasionally (very occasionally) made it into the third lane of a motorway. Although I know I'm legally allowed there, for some reason it never feels right. :wub:

I tend to tuck myself in behind a lorry doing 60 mph and follow on. Have often felt quite bereft when after many miles it leaves the motorway before I do. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back