Scottish Caravan and Leisure Show SECC (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are going to the Caravan and Leisure Show at the SECC Glasgow, from 2 - 5th February and wondered whether anyone else was planning to go?

The CL's seem to be a bit thin on the ground close to the city, but we were wondering whether anyone could suggest somewhere to stay around the west coast. We are very familiar with Whittleiburn at Largs, but just wondered whether anyone else had come across any other sites that were within easy travelling distance to Glasgow?

If any funsters are planning a trip to the show, perhaps we could meet up with you?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
im surprised there isn't camping on site as the car park is huge

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Andy!
Thanks for your reply. We were up at the SECC for the Country Living Craft Show in November and were offered parking within the car park along with exhibitors, but we stayed at Craigie in Ayr then.

Craigie is shut at the moment, so will see how it goes.

Regards, Margaret & Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you would have thought it would be in their interest to provide camping on site although they do have 3 hotels but the people that go to motorhome and caravan shows generally don't stay in hotels.

maybe a phone call to the craigie as it may be in their interest to open for the show if you could maybe get a few more vans to go.

or as an alternative maybe approach someone who has land in the area and sort it as a fun rally if not for this year but maybe next.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are going to the Caravan and Leisure Show at the SECC Glasgow, from 2 - 5th February and wondered whether anyone else was planning to go?

The CL's seem to be a bit thin on the ground close to the city, but we were wondering whether anyone could suggest somewhere to stay around the west coast. We are very familiar with Whittleiburn at Largs, but just wondered whether anyone else had come across any other sites that were within easy travelling distance to Glasgow?

If any funsters are planning a trip to the show, perhaps we could meet up with you?

If of any interest there is a nice parking spot by Castle Semple Loch in my home village of Lochwinnoch.. about 17mls west of Glasgow ..

Free Car park with cafe' and toilets .. often seen motorhomes overnighting there.. will be very quiet in winter..

Google map.. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lochwinnoch,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.797171,-4.619869&spn=0.000805,0.002602&sll=52.024736,1.412742&sspn=0.028202,0.083256&vpsrc=6&hnear=Lochwinnoch,+Renfrewshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19

you can also get the train to Glasgow .. free parking.. about 1/3 ml away .. Google map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lochwinnoch,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.787656,-4.614472&spn=0.003221,0.010407&sll=52.024736,1.412742&sspn=0.028202,0.083256&vpsrc=6&hnear=Lochwinnoch,+Renfrewshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Andy!

We know the staff that manage Craigie and they definitely take a break at this time of year. In fact, they're now going to be managing a new site near Strathclyde Park, when it opens in the Spring.

We were hoping to visit your neck of the woods last year, (Grassington/Wharfedale), until someone hit our van:Doh:. Still, we are hoping to do it this year:thumb:

Thanks for your help, regards Bill and Margaret

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If of any interest there is a nice parking spot by Castle Semple Loch in my home village of Lochwinnoch.. about 17mls west of Glasgow ..

Free Car park with cafe' and toilets .. often seen motorhomes overnighting there.. will be very quiet in winter..

Google map.. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lochw...innoch,+Renfrewshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19

you can also get the train to Glasgow .. about 1/3 ml away .. Google map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lochw...innoch,+Renfrewshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for this...........we lived in Largs for about 4 years, so know the area well. Will look into this and decide what to do before going up, because we are still "virgins" we haven't tried wildcamping or anything else "offsite" as yet.

Our daughter works in Glengarnock and drives from Shawlands every day, Bill worked in IBM Greenock, I worked in Projectina in Skelmorlie (many moons ago!).

Many thanks for your help:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim,
Many thanks for this...........we lived in Largs for about 4 years, so know the area well. Will look into this and decide what to do before going up, because we are still "virgins" we haven't tried wildcamping or anything else "offsite" as yet.

Our daughter works in Glengarnock and drives from Shawlands every day, Bill worked in IBM Greenock, I worked in Projectina in Skelmorlie (many moons ago!).

Many thanks for your help:thumb:

Know Largs very well, my ex still owns and runs a beauty salon there....

so you will know about the camp site up the Brisben Glen road .. ?
can't recall the name, we stayed there 2 years ago.. nice little site with crap toilets :roflmto:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Largs,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.833879,-4.839606&spn=0.006435,0.020814&sll=52.024736,1.412742&sspn=0.028202,0.083256&vpsrc=6&hnear=Largs,+North+Ayrshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=16

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Jim!

That's Whittlieburn, we were booked in there last year for a couple of days, but it poured and the field got water-logged, so we cancelled!

We were going to book up sometime this year, but bad news about the toilets:Angry: at least we use our own facilites. We still love Largs and go back when we can, we know the Watsons that own C Fayre, they were our neighbours, so we pop into the shop and see them when we're up. I used to enjoy sitting in Nardini's and watching the waves crash up onto the pier when the children were very young.......happy days!:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim!

That's Whittlieburn, we were booked in there last year for a couple of days, but it poured and the field got water-logged, so we cancelled!

We were going to book up sometime this year, but bad news about the toilets:Angry: at least we use our own facilites. We still love Largs and go back when we can, we know the Watsons that own C Fayre, they were our neighbours, so we pop into the shop and see them when we're up. I used to enjoy sitting in Nardini's and watching the waves crash up onto the pier when the children were very young.......happy days!:thumb:

happy days indeed.. used to love going to Nardini's on a Saturday night with the girl friend.. .
lived in West Kilbride for many years before getting divorced.. sad days .. so moved down south to start again.. that was in 1987 .. and still here .. :roflmto: but miss my home country ..
My Dad is in care home in Largs .. so will be visiting again this year... hopefully not for a funeral .. he is almost 90..

location of of my ex's shop .. Nancy Allan .. ( she kept my surname)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hairdresser+near+Largs,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=55.79652,-4.866648&spn=0.00161,0.005203&sll=55.796505,-4.866246&sspn=0.003245,0.010407&vpsrc=6&hq=Hairdresser&hnear=Largs,+North+Ayrshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&fll=55.796155,-4.866541&fspn=0.00161,0.005203&z=18&layer=c&cbll=55.79652,-4.866651&panoid=jtTvZtcN5M_eop1HKFKQIA&cbp=12,326.93,,0,0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi have a look at bankell farm just outside Milngavie its a cl we have used it several times and always found it excellent you can walk into Milngavie in about 20mins and can get the train from there to the Secc it takes about 20mins some you have to change and some are straight through. If you need more info let us know

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
happy days indeed.. used to love going to Nardini's on a Saturday night with the girl friend.. .
lived in West Kilbride for many years before getting divorced.. sad days .. so moved down south to start again.. that was in 1987 .. and still here .. :roflmto: but miss my home country ..
My Dad is in care home in Largs .. so will be visiting again this year... hopefully not for a funeral .. he is almost 90..

location of of my ex's shop .. Nancy Allan .. ( she kept my surname)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Haird...oid=jtTvZtcN5M_eop1HKFKQIA&cbp=12,326.93,,0,0

We left Largs in 1986 after 4 years and moved down to Surrey, I had lived in East Kilbride for 30 years and it was a wrench moving down south! We know Nelson Street, Largs, there used to be a pub on the corner called the Overdraught, but think it's now known as something else.

It's a funny thing, but we always feel at home in Largs, although there have been a lot of changes since we moved south in 1986. 12 years was enough and we came back north in 1998, we're now on the coast in Kirkcudbrightshire, but would move back up to the Clyde coast in a minute:thumb:
If you find yourself in our vicinity any time, please let us know, you're welcome to come over and see us.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi have a look at bankell farm just outside Milngavie its a cl we have used it several times and always found it excellent you can walk into Milngavie in about 20mins and can get the train from there to the Secc it takes about 20mins some you have to change and some are straight through. If you need more info let us know

Hi Gerry,

Thanks very much for this information, we'll give this a bit of thought, from what we can see, there's a couple of options available to us now. Let's hope we don't get any more extreme gales or we'll end up staying at home:Sad:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

I used to go down to Lochwinnoch often, during my school holidays in the 70's.

My uncle had a dairy farm, called Warlock Gates, overlooking Castle Semple Loch.
He has only just retired recently at the age of 90+ after 60+ years on the farm.

Many a happy summer spent there.....:thumb:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Castle Semple car park by the loch is definitely motorhome friendly for overnighting. There is a site at Pannell Farm near Bridge of Weir but I wouldn't recommend it. We stayed overnight once and it was dire. They also charge ÂŁ20 a night for what is basically a caravan storage facility. Are you sure there isn't overnighting at the show?

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Castle Semple car park by the loch is definitely motorhome friendly for overnighting. There is a site at Pannell Farm near Bridge of Weir but I wouldn't recommend it. We stayed overnight once and it was dire. They also charge ÂŁ20 a night for what is basically a caravan storage facility. Are you sure there isn't overnighting at the show?

Thanks for your message, we might just call the SECC and ask them tomorrow. When we went up for the Country Living Christmas Craft Fair in November, they said we could park free in the car park for the day, but we stayed at Craigie Gardens in Ayr and took the train up instead. Maybe just as well, because they had been digging up the car park and doing alterations when we went up on 17th November.

Unfortunately this is Craigie's holiday period.
Thanks, Margaret

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I used to go down to Lochwinnoch often, during my school holidays in the 70's.

My uncle had a dairy farm, called Warlock Gates, overlooking Castle Semple Loch.
He has only just retired recently at the age of 90+ after 60+ years on the farm.

Many a happy summer spent there.....:thumb:

small world indeed, I spent many happy summers canoeing on the loch and in winter playing ice hockey ..

only just yesterday I was talking to Jan about Warlock Gates .. topic came up when we were listening to the news about the couple who tortured their son as they thought he was a witch.. I mentioned the fact that male witches are called warlocks or wizards, .. not witches, which led to me telling her about Warlock Gates.. and looking up it's history:

THE WITCHES'WAND
byDEREK PARKER
DURING the 16th and 17th centuries, thecountryside around Lochwinnoch was thehaunt of Renfrewshire witches who heldtheir midnight covens at places such asCourtshaw Hill, in what is now ParkhillWood, and the Warlock Craigie waterfall,near the former Roebank Printworks.Warlock Gates Farm, just off the back road between Lochwinnoch and How-wood, also commemorates these distantdays when sorcerers such as Lord RinganSempill is said to have organised midnightcovens on Peel Island in Castle SempleLoch, where witches and wizards sangand danced round fires burning brightly inthe darkness as they celebrated major fes-tivals known as esbats to mark importantoccasions on the country calendar likeSamhainn (the start of winter on Novem-ber 1) and Imbolc (the beginning of Spring on February 1).

more http://www.scribd.com/doc/39664979/nov-08

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks for posting this information! We always used to travel back down home to Largs through Howwood and Lochwinnoch after a day spent in Glasgow. The countryside is really beautiful all around here, with many converted farm outbuildings going at premium prices these days.

Eventually coming into Largs down the Haylie Brae and home again!:thumb:
Happy days!::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for posting this information! We always used to travel back down home to Largs through Howwood and Lochwinnoch after a day spent in Glasgow. The countryside is really beautiful all around here, [HI]with many converted farm outbuildings going at premium prices these days.[/HI]

Eventually coming into Largs down the Haylie Brae and home again!:thumb:
Happy days!::bigsmile:

yes indeed.. and sadly the decline of village life as I knew it.. it's little more than a dormitory for the Glasgow yuppies

When I was a boy Lochwinnoch had many thriving industries, furniture factories, mills, a bottling plant (Struthers) , flag works, weaving and printing

Last time I visited I hardly knew anyone I met .. all my relations who lived there have passed away .. or left :Sad:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
small world indeed, I spent many happy summers canoeing on the loch and in winter playing ice hockey ..

only just yesterday I was talking to Jan about Warlock Gates .. topic came up when we were listening to the news about the couple who tortured their son as they thought he was a witch.. I mentioned the fact that male witches are called warlocks or wizards, .. not witches, which led to me telling her about Warlock Gates.. and looking up it's history:

THE WITCHES'WAND
byDEREK PARKER
DURING the 16th and 17th centuries, thecountryside around Lochwinnoch was thehaunt of Renfrewshire witches who heldtheir midnight covens at places such asCourtshaw Hill, in what is now ParkhillWood, and the Warlock Craigie waterfall,near the former Roebank Printworks.Warlock Gates Farm, just off the back road between Lochwinnoch and How-wood, also commemorates these distantdays when sorcerers such as Lord RinganSempill is said to have organised midnightcovens on Peel Island in Castle SempleLoch, where witches and wizards sangand danced round fires burning brightly inthe darkness as they celebrated major fes-tivals known as esbats to mark importantoccasions on the country calendar likeSamhainn (the start of winter on Novem-ber 1) and Imbolc (the beginning of Spring on February 1).

more http://www.scribd.com/doc/39664979/nov-08

Jim,

Such a very small world, only last night my sister, (still living in Glasgow), and I were discussing the history behind the name of "Warlock Gates", as this thread mentioning Lochwinnoch, brought back all the memories..

Spooky.........:Eeek:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I seem to remember a carpet factory around Howood or Johnstone too.
The old mills in Paisley are now all luxury flats on the site of the Cart, but Paisley is a depressing looking place......mind you, I always thought it was depressing!:roflmto:

The Armitage Shanks factory in Barrhead shut down completely in 1992, which really added to the overall depression in the area. I still go up to Linwood for ceramic supplies every couple of months..........Linwood was recently named as the most "dismal" town in Scotland!!:roflmto: :roflmto: I would agree with that:thumb:

Bill's parents worked at BMK in Kilmarnock yonks back, all the factories have long since closed, but going off the thread now, pardon the pun! At least they've kept the big crane at Finnieston in Glasgow as a city landmark:thumb:

The old British Steelworks site at Glengarnock is now AEA where my daughter works.......... another depressing little town:whatthe:

Happy memories all around of life in and around Glasgow in the 70's though, just a shame that things have changed for the worst, oh well, nothing ever stays the same.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
When I was a boy Lochwinnoch had many thriving industries, furniture factories, mills, a bottling plant (Struthers) , flag works, weaving and printing

I had forgotten about Struthers bottling plant in Lochwinnoch! I wonder if one of the Struthers from Lochwinnoch was related to the Struthers that had a garage/petrol station in Jackton (near East Kilbride)?

I worked with Susan Struthers whilst living in East Kilbride, her family owned the garage in Jackton.

Thinking of Struthers drinks, this reminds me of a story that my Dad told me about a young boy going into a cafe in Greenock and asking for a bottle of "ginger"!!

The woman behind the counter said to him, "Do you want orange ginger, lime ginger, lemon ginger, or ginger beer ginger son?" :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I had forgotten about Struthers bottling plant in Lochwinnoch! [HI] I wonder if one of the Struthers from Lochwinnoch was related to the Struthers that had a garage/petrol station in Jackton (near East Kilbride)?[/HI]

I worked with Susan Struthers whilst living in East Kilbride, her family owned the garage in Jackton.

Thinking of Struthers drinks, this reminds me of a story that my Dad told me about a young boy going into a cafe in Greenock and asking for a bottle of "ginger"!!

The woman behind the counter said to him, "Do you want orange ginger, lime ginger, lemon ginger, or ginger beer ginger son?" :roflmto:

May well be.. they also had a garage and car sales room at the end of Main St on the Kilbirnie Rd.. my sister worked in the office and also collected the new cars from Glasgow.

ah yes.. all soft drinks are called 'ginger' in Scotland :roflmto: I still call it that at times..

At Struthers 'ginger' factory, we used to climb on the wall to look into the bottling hall to see what flavour they were bottling.. also collected the empties and took them back for the 3p deposit .. (but only if the stopper was present with the rubber 'o' ring) .. happy and innocent days ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back