Mobile Phone Tracker (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
::bigsmile:Read in the paper today that if your mobie phone is switched on they can track your position in shopping centres, to establish which shops you have visited.
Just an idea but could you make a motorhome tracker unit by using a cheap mobile phone, connect it with a charger to the leisure battery. swiitch it on and conceal it somewhere. Would it be possible to trace the phone position if the vehical was stolen. ::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have a tracker that was fitted before we bought the van and it works with a sim card just have to top up £5 every 3 months and make a call from it this is done by texting the tracker and it calls back. I have been told they aren't that good but will do me. I have heard of people leaving a mobile hidden in their car so if it gets stolen so i suppose to answer your question yes

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
One problem with these (GSM?) trackers is that they suffer the same signal problems as phones. So if somebody steals your motorhome and parks it up in an underground car park (or any where near Cheddar Gorge if my recent experience is anything to go by) you're stuffed.

A professional outfit will probably be able to jam the signal too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My work involves inspection of moveable plant and one client had a system that could show him where his excavator was, which direction it was travelling and how fast. He could automatically imobilise it if it was moved from its work site or ask it to phone home. When one was stolen it phoned home and told him it was in Portugal. It was not expensive compared to the price of a excavator.
Link Removed seems to have something similiar.:thumb:
ps: he never got his digger back from its holiday in the sun.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My work involves inspection of moveable plant and one client had a system that could show him where his excavator was, which direction it was travelling and how fast. He could automatically imobilise it if it was moved from its work site or ask it to phone home. When one was stolen it phoned home and told him it was in Portugal. It was not expensive compared to the price of a excavator.
Link Removed seems to have something similiar.:thumb:
ps: [HI]he never got his digger back[/HI] from its holiday in the sun.

He won't have done, JJ rents it out to Lady Penelope whenever she get stuck in mud :winky:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
There are sites that track mobile phones, the one i used charges 50p per search, but a company with vehicle trackers i worked for preffered to use phone tracking, as it found the drivers, not the trucks:roflmto:.

It is easy to use a phone as a tracker in the way you suggested. If you would not pay for a tracking sytem anyway, using the phone option is cheaper, a lot of trackers cant be found in containers or underground car parks etc, so not that much difference.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We could give them JJ's address there may be a reward, we could go half each ::bigsmile:

and yes the drivers weekend work dried up over night after the first one got caught.:Sad:

MikeD

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personal trackers are so cheap nowadays that they are cheaper than a phone and much easier to track and 12 volt!

No insurance companies touch them though!

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back