Another great reason for a Transit Base... (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Had to drop the MH off this morning and therefore had to drive through school traffic, made even worse by the wind.

I was stuck in traffic going uphill and it's the first time I've been crawling in traffic.

Three letters - HLA - AMAZING.......

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Had to drop the MH off this morning and therefore had to drive through school traffic, made even worse by the wind.

I was stuck in traffic going uphill and it's the first time I've been crawling in traffic.

Three letters - HLA - AMAZING.......

Humber Landlords' Association?
High-level architecture?
Historic Land-use Assessment?
High Level Assembler language?

Any of these??

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you wont be saying that when your Duratorq engine falls in bits:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hungry Lebanese Aardvark! :thumb:

No, it's Hill Launch Assist.

When stopping on a hill and you dip the clutch and brake. A light comes on the dashboard to say that HLA is activated.

Then when pulling off, when you take your foot off the brake, the brakes remain on for up to a few seconds to enable you to move your foot to the throttle.

It means you don't have to bother with either the handbrake or quick feet. :thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
you wont be saying that when your Duratorq engine falls in bits:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why would HLA make the engine suffer, has nothing to do with the engine?

The Duratorq 2.2 is one of the most used engines in the trade isn't it? It's fitted to so many different cars, vans (not just Ford) as was the great 2.4 version. I've not heard of any reliability issues?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

The Duratorq 2.2 is one of the most used engines in the trade isn't it? It's fitted to so many different cars, vans (not just Ford) as was the great 2.4 version. I've not heard of any reliability issues?
i think he was jokeing:thumb:
the duratouq is a good engine,far better than a valve dropping fiat/citrion/pug engine.:winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

Nor will you Craig, it was the envy of the Industry when first launched. Did you know that Transit's success story is also the envy of the Industry.

1965-2010 – Brief history of an enduring success

COLOGNE, April 30, 2010 – The iconic Ford Transit is heading for its impressive 45th anniversary in August this year, but is already in the party mood, having just celebrated a significant six-millionth production milestone in ceremonies at the Transit assembly plants in Kocaeli (Turkey), Southampton (UK), Nanchang (China) and Hai Duong (Vietnam).

It is the latest impressive milestone in Transit's extensive history, which includes many track records, not least that it is Ford of Europe's longest-serving vehicle brand.

Read More........
Link Removed

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
...and as for that gearbox that works in reverse........ :ROFLMAO:

I was on the M6 earlier and was counting the millions of different variants the Transit comes in. I lost count after seeing at least 10 different current types of transit. Van, MH, Minibus, Recovery Truck, Flat Bed, etc..... Each of them in various types, LWD, SWB, Twin rear Axle, etc...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It means you don't have to bother with either the handbrake or quick feet. :thumb:

Another example of dumbing down a skill and worse, something else to go wrong.

I cringe and spit fire at the number of people I see holding cars on a hill at traffic lights. Incompetents.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Another example of dumbing down a skill and worse, something else to go wrong.

I cringe and spit fire at the number of people I see holding cars on a hill at traffic lights. Incompetents.

Due you mean as opposed to holding it on the biting point, wasting fuel and clutch surface?

EDIT: Just out of thought, do you remove the ABS fuse too? As surely, cadence braking is a lost skill. What about syncromesh, do you remove that from your gearbox so that you can double de-clutch?
:ROFLMAO:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
...and as for that gearbox that works in reverse........ :ROFLMAO:

I was on the M6 earlier and was counting the millions of different variants the Transit comes in. I lost count after seeing at least 10 different current types of transit. Van, MH, Minibus, Recovery Truck, Flat Bed, etc.....
my brother is a aluminum welder,and does a lot of work airside at heathrow,as his van is carry's all his gear,his company bought him an all singing all danceing brand new citroen 2010, 70000 miles and the engine dropped a valve destroying the engine,citroen said it's a common problem:Eeek:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
So let me get this straight - you sit on a hill, with your foot on the brake.

So you're another one of the :Angry: gits :Angry: who increasingly blinds us with your glaring brake lights. Made even worse in the rain, or at night.

Use the f***ing handbrake, that's what it's for.....

..................and b-r-e-a-t-h-e

sigh

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
But it's a faff in a MH to reach down and put the handbrake on if you are only stopping for about 10 seconds, before moving 5mm and then stopping for another 10 seconds.......

Advanced driving will tell you not to use the handbrake, but keep the car in gear with the footbrake on, or at least they used to.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Due you mean as opposed to holding it on the biting point, wasting fuel and clutch surface?

EDIT: Just out of thought, do you remove the ABS fuse too? As surely, cadence braking is a lost skill. What about syncromesh, do you remove that from your gearbox so that you can double de-clutch?
:ROFLMAO:

I should have said holding on the hill using the clutch as opposed to the handbrake, but I think that was obvious.

No ABS here on 2 or 4 wheels. Hills + snow, better off without ABS. ABS is another de-skiling.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I should have said holding on the hill [HI]using the clutch[/HI] as opposed to the handbrake, but I think that was obvious.

No ABS here on 2 or 4 wheels. Hills + snow, better off without ABS. ABS is [HI]another de-skiling[/HI].

As a time served motor-vehicle technician, I thought it was only me that cringed when watching drivers holding the vehicle for many seconds sometimes minutes on an incline.

Have they no idea how much heat energy and destruction they are causing.

Agree totally with the de-skilling comment and also with the glare from brake lights especially in rainy conditions when simply at rest.

Hang on, I'm rapidly turning in to a GRUMPY old git like you lot.....help...help... Griff
:Angry:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
So let me get this straight - you sit on a hill, with your foot on the brake.

So you're another one of the :Angry: gits :Angry: who increasingly blinds us with your glaring brake lights. Made even worse in the rain, or at night.

Use the f***ing handbrake, that's what it's for.....

..................and b-r-e-a-t-h-e

sigh

Well no actually. My Merc Sprintshift employs a similar braking system and it quite clearly states in the handbook that the hand brake is for parking only.
You cannot safely do a handbrake start in a Sprintshift and nor, I believe, should you try to do so, in any vehicle with automatic transmission.

Pete:Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why worry about the glare from the brake lights when the Pratts still have their rear fog warning lights blinding you because they spotted a touch of mist six hours earlier...? :Angry: :Angry: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Well no actually. My Merc Sprintshift employs a similar braking system and it quite clearly states in the handbook that the hand brake is for parking only.
You cannot safely do a handbrake start in a Sprintshift and nor, I believe, should you try to do so, in any vehicle with automatic transmission.

Pete:Cool:

Explain that to any driving instructor or driving examiner - FAIL.

The handbrake is for securing the vehicle at any time it is stationary.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Explain that to any driving instructor or driving examiner - FAIL.

The handbrake is for securing the vehicle at any time it is stationary.
and there was me thinking it was just for handbrake turn's:Doh:
this forum is a font of knowledge:thumb:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
But it's a faff in a MH to reach down and put the handbrake on if you are only stopping for about 10 seconds, before moving 5mm and then stopping for another 10 seconds.......

Advanced driving will tell you not to use the handbrake, but keep the car in gear with the footbrake on, or at least they used to.

So you're a lazy :Angry: git :Angry: too..........................::bigsmile:

Oh really - please tell me which advanced motoring instructor told you that.

And please note I said advanced motoring instructor, not IAM/ ROSPA or similar voluntary organisation.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Pratts still have their rear fog warning lights blinding you because they spotted a touch of mist six hours earlier...? :Angry: :Angry: :ROFLMAO:
JJ :Cool:

Those things are dangerous. You can come round a curve/bend and see a wall of red. So thought one is "oh shit, pile up, how do I escape". But it's just a wall of red, same as brake lights, devaluing brake lights.

It's a warning not an emergency, so why not bright orange ?

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I think that taking your eyes off the road and having to move your body to operate the handbrake is dangerous, also to do this every couple of seconds when crawling in traffic is non-sense.

I used to reluctantly have to go on a Defensive Driving course every year in my old job. Every year they told me that when stopped in traffic, it's beter to leave the car in gear with pedal depressed and the foot brake on.

When I questioned it, I was given 2 answers. 1) so that approaching cars behind could see that you have stopped by a visible sign of brake lights. 2) if you did get shunted, then your foot would probably come off the pedal and the engine would stall locking the wheels.

Now, before anyone shoots me down, I didn't actually agree with point 2 at the time, it's just what I was told. But then I also didn't agree with the point that you shouldn't use the clutch/gears to slow you down as modern cars had brakes that were good enough for the job. At the time I was also was a race licence holder so I'd always educate them on weight shifting and how the gears assist with this! :roflmto:

To go back on point. I have HLA and you can be assured that I'll always be using it rather than waste my time putting the handbrake on every couple of seconds, or wasting fuel and clutch holding it. Put that with the fact that cars are starting to have it fitted as standard (I think some of the newer Golfs have it as standard, a colleagues certainly does), more and more people will use it and therefore make the Handbrake a thing of the past, especially as a lot of these are now electronic and only designed for use as parking, hence the term Parking Brake.

Doesn't Driving Instructors also tell you that you can use the Handbrake as an emergency brake? Try doing that on some modern cars. My Jaguar just beeps at me if I try and activate it whislt driving and if I try it on my Land Rover, I suspect the transmission will fall to pieces as it doesn't lock the wheels.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To go back on point. I have HLA and you can be assured that I'll always be using it rather than waste my time putting the handbrake on every couple of seconds, or wasting fuel and clutch holding it.

I've got to admit, if you've got it and there are no negatives then use it.

But if your brake lights are burning the eyes of the person behind ???

Now you say it holds for up to 2 seconds. So one glitch in your footwork or even in the wrong gear and you are rolling backwards into the vehicle behind and you'll not know where to put your feet.

I think I've seen problems with another "bright spark" idea, Mercedes brake assist that bangs on maximum bakes if it guesses you are panic braking.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
and there was me [HI]thinking it was just for handbrake turn's[/HI]:Doh:
this forum is a font of knowledge:thumb:

He's serious folks, you should have seen him sling that 3 tonne motor home around on the grass at Banbury........

..........Good old Chris, 73 years of age and still 17 at heart....
:winky:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I've got to admit, if you've got it and there are no negatives then use it.

But if your brake lights are burning the eyes of the person behind ???

Now you say it holds for up to 2 seconds. So one glitch in your footwork or even in the wrong gear and you are rolling backwards into the vehicle behind and you'll not know where to put your feet.

I think I've seen problems with another "bright spark" idea, Mercedes brake assist that bangs on maximum bakes if it guesses you are panic braking.

I think it's about 5 seconds but that's only after you have released the brake, so you just put your foot back on the brake or drive off. It's not designed to hold you there, just for you to transition to the accelerator.

I have to admit, if I'm stopped for longer than just a few seconds, then I do put the handbrake on, otherwise a long drive will soon get your leg tired...... It's on the case of stop-start traffic that I'd use it. Only because by the time you've put the handbrake on, you are taking it back off again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think it's about 5 seconds but that's only after you have released the brake, so you just put your foot back on the brake or drive off. It's not designed to hold you there, just for you to transition to the accelerator.

OK it's not that bad but somewhere, sometime there will be the case of stopping, into wrong gear or neutral, up comes the clutch down goes the throttle and by the time the penny drops crunch.

This is so typical of people like me, we have all this spare computing power, "Ding" the bulb lights up "We can do this". Sometimes it works sometimes a while later "well that seemed like a good idea at the time".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back