Going to France?? Better buy your own breathalyser (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Drivers in France caught flouting the road rules face new fine increases of up to 1000 euros under tough new plans announced by the French government. This includes using a mobile phone while driving, watching a movie (!!!) and using a SATNAV device which spots radar speed traps. Also coming into affect this year is a requirement that all vehicles carry breathalyzer tests.

Seen on Sky News this morning but I can't find any more substantial info on the web other than the following :
See Broken Link Removed

Catherine

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Don't panic yet it hasn't happened yet !!! Many french also think it is quite the silliest idea yet !!! And remember we have an election this year so who says it will happen at all !! :RollEyes:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
So what if you do not drink ?how stupid is that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is called being French ..sorry Frankie

So what if you do not drink ?how stupid is that

It is called French Silly.. sorry Frankie... but we do wonder if the man you have at the helm has got his brain turned on at times ... watching the German / French show recently we really do wonder... but knowing real French people we know it is as a silly thing as we do.

Next we will have to carry condoms in case we increase or cross pollinate the French :winky:

Seriously, it is a silly idea... if someone has had to much to drink do you think they will use it to confirm they should not drive? I do not think so.

Bob

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I agree Bob ... not something that a drunk person would do if alone in the car...
Now if not alone... , it might be a way to show the person he/she is not in conditions to drive . Very often the drunk people won't admit they are drunk .

For me it is even more stupid as I so rarely drink (and when I do... most of the times it means I am not going anywhere driving, or I am not the driver, and I make sure my driver will be sober .....), I might never need it!!

We'll see.... not voted yet , so .... why worry now! If we change President , it might never be voted. Now just in case you would have to go across France in the meantime , just have one and that's it. I don't think it will cost a fortune!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We'll see.... not voted yet , so .... why worry now! If we change President , it might never be voted. Now just in case you would have to go across France in the meantime , just have one and that's it. I don't think it will cost a fortune!
Frankie:Smile::Smile:

I would not mind betting that if you checked you would find this daft idea stems from a French manufacturer or importer of cheap breathalysers who has just been getting quotes for a new yacht.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I bet you are not far off on that Brian

I would not mind betting that if you checked you would find this daft idea stems from a French manufacturer or importer of cheap breathalysers who has just been getting quotes for a new yacht.

I bet you are not so far off the mark on that Brian.... now if it had been a Brussels idea I could have understood the idiots, but a French one? do they ever have there own ideas? .. well yes it seems they do... (No offence to Frankie.. I like the French... well most of them... same with the English.. well most of them!!!!!)

Bob

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I actually think that making people carry a breathaliser is acutally promoting drink/driving............Think about it?

It's just another silly idea to try and get the economy wheel turning. Think how many people in France drive, how much money would that be worth to the Government?

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
You would need to have at least 2 kits in your vehicle, as if you only had 1 and used it you would then be in breach of the law by not having a working unit. :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And as yet no one seems to have come up with a definitive answer to my question..

Will the law be imposed on transients as well as residents ?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Don't panic yet it hasn't happened yet !!! Many french also think it is quite the silliest idea yet !!! And remember we have an election this year so who says it will happen at all !! :RollEyes:

We all know the French are a law unto themselves!

We ordered ours from ebay yesterday, just in case they brought the law in whilst we were away. Only £4 delivered so better safe than fined!!

Ginny

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Yves one of our french friends says it is either Sarko or another minister who has shares in a company who makes breathalysers !!! :ROFLMAO:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
And as yet no one seems to have come up with a definitive answer to my question..

Will the law be imposed on transients as well as residents ?

Like the visible vest I would think so !!! But as it is not law and the election is in April/May no need to worry at the moment !

The law to make motorcyclists wear a luminous arm band has been passed but is not enforceable till Jan 2013 !!! So do not worry !!! :roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
This is the second time in a week that this topic has been discussed.

I don't think its stupid. These breathalyser kits have been on the market in the UK for years.

If you have been out for a drink and you are driving, wouldn't it be a good idea if you were to breathalyse yourself so that you could have some measure of confidence that you were under the legal limit.

The breweries flatly refuse to stock these kits. There are also pocket size cards that can be used as a reference to enable you to very quickly identify how many units of alcohol you have consumed, therefore enabling you to determine whether you are legally fit to drive. These are free at any health center, Again the breweries will not allow their pubs to stock them.

Jim
:Smile:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
If you have been out for a drink and you are driving, wouldn't it be a good idea if you were to breathalyse yourself so that you could have some measure of confidence that you were under the legal limit.

No I don't think it is a good idea as it's PROMOTING drink/driving. They are also not hugely accurate and the result would be people would keep drinking right up to as close to the limit as possible.

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Perhaps a bit off topic, but ive wrote it now!!

I was at a campsite in Benodet France about 12 years ago tenting! Felt a bit lucky with misses after a night drinkng beer, (getting her drunk so I could have my wicked way!!) so went to toliet and bought a condom from slot machine on wall. At a critical moment of passion I eagerly ripped open, but condom just didnt feel right, just wouldnt go on properly!!

After some fumbelings with torch and thinking that I had bought the female condom version, I had to get out of bed and put a proper light on...

Imagine my dissapointment when after about 20 seconds I realised Id bought a breathalizer kit. Sod it..I first confirmed I was p*ssed then managed to find empty crisp packet and elastic band!!! :winky:

Ah the memories!!!

-

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Perhaps a bit off topic, but ive wrote it now!!

I was at a campsite in Benodet France about 12 years ago tenting! Felt a bit lucky with misses after a night drinkng beer, (getting her drunk so I could have my wicked way!!) so went to toliet and bought a condom from slot machine on wall. At a critical moment of passion I eagerly ripped open, but condom just didnt feel right, just wouldnt go on properly!!

After some fumbelings with torch and thinking that I had bought the female condom version, I had to get out of bed and put a proper light on...

Imagine my dissapointment when after about 20 seconds I realised Id bought a breathalizer kit. Sod it..I first confirmed I was p*ssed then managed to find [HI]empty crisp packet and elastic band!!![/HI] :winky:

Ah the memories!!!

-

Ohhh salty seamen :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Everybody who drinks and drives should have one. Now everybody is bound to claim that they don't drink and drive. In a pigs Ear.

Jim

Find that remark totally offensive to be honest.. I am absolutely paranoid about drink driving.. yes, I slosh it back no worries.., but never if I MIGHT have to drive within the following 18 hours.
The reason I find it offensive is cos there ARE people out there that think you can drink and then drive safely but I aint one of them and would happily put my name to a zero tolerance bill.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Find that remark totally offensive to be honest.. I am absolutely paranoid about drink driving.. yes, I slosh it back no worries.., but never if I MIGHT have to drive within the following 18 hours.
The reason I find it offensive is cos there ARE people out there that think you can drink and then drive safely but I aint one of them and would happily put my name to a zero tolerance bill.

So would I.

Don't know why you should take a fence.

Jim

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
well google ads are quick i have just come onto this thread and the side bar is advertising a digital breathalizer.

I also am in the drive - no drink group and think that any one that is going to drive should not have any alcoholic drink

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
well google ads are quick i have just come onto this thread and the side bar is advertising a digital breathalizer.

I also am in the drive - no drink group and think that any one that is going to drive should not have any alcoholic drink

All of the side bar Google ads lately have been for dating sites, hows that happen.
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back