Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Stupid question time (again).

I may have to replace my battery charger and I have been advised that CTEK is the best(est)

Right, those who know me I am not a techie person, so I am looking towards you guys the 'font' of all knowledge as to what I want..,

Background, I have 2 X 80w solar panels
2 x 110amp lesiure batteries

So what CTEK am I looking for, its all confusing eg. 8-Stage blah blah

Thoughts would be appreciated.

ShiftZZ

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My leisure batts are connected to the solars via the regulator direct. They just errr charge. :thumb:

Why do you need a charger?? :Doh:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My leisure batts are connected to the solars via the regulator direct. They just errr charge. :thumb:

Why do you need a charger?? :Doh:

The onboard charger has gone 'munchie' no longer suitable (knackered) and the replacement is about £800 fitted.

On EHU the batteries would not charge and therefore could be a problem.

So I am looking for a replacement charger and £800 is just too much, hence the CTEK option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
AFAIK the CTEK range are "stand alone" chargers which plug into the mains and attach to the battery by crocodile clips - i.e. different from a built-in charger connected permanently to the battery and to the hook-up input.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Oi this munchie is not knackered just a bit "lived in" and frayed round the edges. !!!:Angry:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
AFAIK the CTEK range are "stand alone" chargers which plug into the mains and attach to the battery by crocodile clips - i.e. different from a built-in charger connected permanently to the battery and to the hook-up input.

Graham

From what I can gather, the 'charge' part of it that is not working is the 240v-12v at EHU, the rest of it is fine, when on EHU the 240v works ok, when driving the alternator charges ok so does the solar, its only on EHU, so as far as I can see, link the CTEK to the 240v and attach it to the LB , job done. Unless Funsters know any better,,,

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
dave!! when i was at the whenbury meet my charger/power surply packed up,but it was only a 10 amp one and like you i have 2 110 amp batteries,plus cab battery,so 330 amps/and my charger was not man anough to charge,got hot, poor ventilation and went pop:Doh:
so i ordered one of ebay 20 amp fan cooled jobby:thumb:
Link Removed

dont be fooled dave?people on here would let you spend 100 of £ to do the same job:Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave, I would recommend either the CTEK MXS10 which is a 10 amp 8 stage charger/power supply
Link Removed
or if you want more current/faster charging the MXS2500 which is a 25 amp charger/power supply.
Link Removed

I have the 7 amp version in Eclipse and I have the MXS2500 as a workshop charger, both are very well made pieces of equipment.

Although I've linked to Roadporo's website for information we can supply these items and don't forget your 5% funster discount:winky:

D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Dave, I would recommend either the CTEK MXS10 which is a 10 amp 8 stage charger/power supply
Link Removed
or if you want more current/faster charging the MXS2500 which is a 25 amp charger/power supply.
Link Removed

I have the 7 amp version in Eclipse and I have the MXS2500 as a workshop charger, both are very well made pieces of equipment.

Although I've linked to Roadporo's website for information we can supply these items and don't forget your 5% funster discount:winky:

D.
dave!! can you please point me to where it say's that the mxs 25000,and the mxs10 can be used as a power surply? as i have downloaded both tecnical data sheets on these and nowere does it say power surply:Eeek:
but it clearly states that the mxs 7.0 is also power surply,but it does not mention that for the other 2?i think the other 2 are dedicated battery chargers only:thumb:
but willing to be proved wrong:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
dave!! can you please point me to where it say's that the mxs 25000,and the mxs10 can be used as a power surply? as i have downloaded both tecnical data sheets on these and nowere does it say power surply:Eeek:
but it clearly states that the mxs 7.0 is also power surply,but it does not mention that for the other 2?i think the other 2 are dedicated battery chargers only:thumb:
but willing to be proved wrong:thumb:

Hi Chris, from Roadpro's website:
"In addition to its charging capabilities, the 25000 can also be used as a 12V power supply when 230V AC is available." I can categorically state this is the case as I have one and it has a power supply mode where it gives 13.8 volts and up to 25 amps.

I can't see the same on the blurb about the 7 but as I have one I can assure you it does have a power supply mode where it puts out a stable 13.8 volts at up to 7 amps.

Cheers, D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi Chris, from Roadpro's website:
"In addition to its charging capabilities, the 25000 can also be used as a 12V power supply when 230V AC is available." I can categorically state this is the case as I have one and it has a power supply mode where it gives 13.8 volts and up to 25 amps.

I can't see the same on the blurb about the 7 but as I have one I can assure you it does have a power supply mode where it puts out a stable 13.8 volts at up to 7 amps.

Cheers, D.
cheers dave:thumb: found it:thumb:i stand corrected:Blush:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
For what it is worth, here is my input...

I have three 110 amp "Leisure" batteries in the Iveco...

It has a electricity guzzling 12 volt compressor fridge...

Where parked at the Studio I plug into the company mains... the four roof top solar panels spend most of the day in the shade.

I use a CTEK 7000 "smart" charger connected to the batteries in "normal" mode which stays switched on all the time. It charges the batteries which supply the fridge, the lights, the laptop and all the other stuff like phones, Kindle, cameras etc etc. It says it can stay "charging" permanently...

Don't "do" amps, watts or ohms stuff... if I switch something on and it works... it is all ok!

I have not fully tested the "battery recovery" process but so far not overly impressed...

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back