Thermal screen ................. (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We're planning on making an external thermal screen with bubble-wrap and gaffer-tape ... :Eeek: ... We made one a couple of years ago for the old Merc 608 and it worked perfectly for 2 winters. We now have an A-class Detleffs which has a huge windscreen, but before getting the scissors and bits out we thought maybe someone has/knows someone who has/knows of a supplier of a ready-made one? We've tried all the usual suppliers with no luck. There's a company in Germany who makes one-offs but the prices are somewhat eye-watering ..................... :thanks:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
id use that silver coated bubble wrap stuff reflects more and will probably use less gaffa tape.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
talormade will make or supply material Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Silver screens in Cleckheaton will have them for your model. http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/
They are fantastic. We have a drop down front one.

As soon as we take it off , when its cold outside , the windows steam up. We do like the webasto up toasty warm though.:Blush:
I dont know if its common knowledge or not but I soaked a cloth in water and fairy liquid and wiped the windscreen whilst on the sea front in Scarborough yesterday and hey presto , no steamy windows.
I thought , well it works in the bathroom.......
Bev

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another DIY alternative is Aluminium silver wall insulation.. on a roll from most DIY stores.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Before you commit to the external type consider the possibility of having to move in a hurry, fires, fights, floods, ect. the internal type mean you can get moving without going outside.

Doug...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi STCYR. As stated by Ralph and Bev Silver screens are EXCELLENT, also very importantly, they sell used ones in good condition for a very reduced price. We got ours that way and got a nearly new one for £80. They really do the job, but the point about having to go outside to remove them in an emergency is a valid one. Good luck.
. Mitch and Jenny .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi stcyr,can you fix screens to your A class exterior?Talormade and Silver screens will not do A class externals or indeed most internals for A class -unless they have hanged there minds in the last few weeks :winky:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I dont know if its common knowledge or not but I soaked a cloth in water and fairy liquid and wiped the windscreen whilst on the sea front in Scarborough yesterday and hey presto , no steamy windows.
I thought , well it works in the bathroom.......
Bev

Washing up liquid will kill the rubber suround on a window and make streaky marks down the bodywork. Not recomended.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks all. No-one seems to make screens for A-class MHs... Think I'll make one with bubble-wrap again, got a big roll left from last time. Not too worried about making a quick getaway as we're parked in a friend's field for the winter, and well stuck in the mud :RollEyes: ... The Dethleffs is the same as some Hymer models (but bigger screen): a small door on driver's side, so we'll probably use Velcro again to attach the bubblewrap to the glass - worked well on the 608.

The last one kept us well warm for two winters, and is still in one piece despite being subjected to the worst of Welsh hillside weather, and is being used now by the new custodian. Cheap too: the b/w was £14 for a huge roll, gaffer tape from the £1-shop and the Velcro donated by a nice Comet lady who was creating a counter display when we were looking at laptops - I casually said 'I could do with some of that' and she cut off a good strip ...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Washing up liquid will kill the rubber suround on a window and make streaky marks down the bodywork. Not recomended.

I did it on the inside of the windows , not the outside so shouldn't get streaky bodywork. Using a rung out damp not dripping cloth. So i dont think there will be any windows falling out soon.
Bev

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, Have you tried Vancomfort. Terry
EDIT sorry mis read your post heehee
I do not have a class and already have both int/ext screens :thumb: Plus I know where to buy internal screen stuff from, and my neighbour makes interiors, and seat cushions etc,:winky:
terry

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, washing-up liquid does stop the windows misting up. I squirt a small amount on a piece of kitchenroll and rub it over the glass. Although I have found that some w.u.l. don't work as well as F***y liquid for some reason. But in this instance we're more concerned about staying warm ... :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back