Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
My door tray from hab door pulled off one day as I used it to close the door on my swift sundance. Ive bought a replacement, but unsure what type of adhesive to use. Can anyone recommend a particular type/brand please.

Thanks in advance for any responses..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
try no more nails clear

Try no more nails clear that seems to stick anything.. needs 24 to go off totally, but it works.

Bob

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
It would be handy to know what the two materials are that needed to be bonded togerther?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just bang a self tapper or 2 in it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

either the no-nails type stuff or even araldite
i would avoid any type of superglue as that is really only any good at sticking skin back together.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I would use sikkaflex. It is a sealant really but will join almost anything.
The stuff dealers use to stick things on the roof of the motorhome.

Just used some to fix the handle on the patio doors and you can imagine the pressure it takes opening and closing patio doors. Perfect
We always take it on holiday:)Smile:) as we usually have to fix something for my sister. We have never been away and not had to use it for something.

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
no nails clear will do the job!::bigsmile:

rolling rolling rolling keep them doggies rolling:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sikaflex for sure. It's what the pros use :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It may be too late now but Sikaflex will not stay stuck to plastic :Eeek: plus once a tube is opened it goes off - thereby costing a lot in waste.A quid tube of low modulus silicone will stick to most surfaces including plastic but has low grab properties so needs taping in position until it has gone off -plus you can store it with the nose attached for a few months :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
It may be too late now but Sikaflex will not stay stuck to plastic :Eeek: plus once a tube is opened it goes off - thereby costing a lot in waste.A quid tube of low modulus silicone will stick to most surfaces including plastic but has low grab properties so needs taping in position until it has gone off -plus you can store it with the nose attached for a few months :thumb:

ok so my solar panel and my Sat dome are held on with nothing more than sikaflex adhesive why?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sikaflex 11FC+ - Multipurpose Adhesive and Joint Sealant, a fantastic product. White now in stock.

Now with the patented icure system, Sikaflex 11FC+ is even easier to use! Easier to gun out and kinder to the environment the icure system is a big step forward in product development.

A fantastic product from a great manufacturer, Sikaflex 11FC+ is perfect for a wide variety of applications, whether in the motor vehicle repair market, marine repairs, boatbuilding or general construction. Sikaflex 11FC is easy to use and ensures a great finish.

Sikaflex 11FC is a one part, gun grade dual purpose adhesive and sealing compound which remains permanently elastic. It's special formulation is based an a moisture cured polyurethane giving it an accelerated curing time.
As a leading manufacturer of silicone sealants and adhesives, Sika have, over many years become one of the strongest brands on the market with a reputation for high quality, specified products.

Prices from as low as £8.01 + Vat (The cheapest on the internet!!)

Please remember that all our prices INCLUDE Vat.

Box quantity is 12 Per Box. Tube size 300ml
Applications for Sikaflex 11FC:

Vertical and Horizontal Joint and Crack Sealing
Cover Plates, Gaskets, Penetrations
Duct Work and Ventilation
Bonding Mouldings, Sills
Window and Door Frames, Boards
Bonding and Replacing Roof and Ceiling Tiles
Caulking Between Panels, Partitions etc...
Sealing of Reservoirs
Liquid Containers, Tanks, Silos and Aquariums
Advantages and Benefits of Sikaflex 11FC:
Excellent adhesion to most building materials
Fast cure rate
High durability
Great weathering and water resistance
Seals and Bonds in one
Suitable for potable water (Drinking Water)
Application of Sikaflex 11FC+:

All surfaces should be dry, clean and free from contamination
Cut nozzle to suit application and apply using a sealant gun
For sealing: Extrude Sikaflex 11FC+ into the gap, ensuring contact with all surfaces.
For bonding: Bead as required and press contact surfaces together.
1 x 310ml tube yields: 4m of a 12 x 12.5mm joint or 15m of a 5mm bead.
Uksealants are proud to be assosiated with Sika, one of the world's leading manufacturers of sealants and adhesives.

For more technical information please see technical downloads.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
SIKAFLEX 512 CARAVAN SEALANT & ADHESIVE 300ML

Sikaflex 512 Caravan is perfect for work on Caravans and Motorhomes!

Approved by the National Caravan Council Sikaflex 512 Caravan is a fantastic product. Whether you are sticking back down, sealing, bonding or repairing, Sika 512 Caravan is brilliant for internal and external work.

Colour: White

Box Quantity: 12

Advantages & Benefits of using Sikaflex 512 Caravan:

Bonds & Seals in one
Creates a strong watertight joint
Elastic & non Shrink
Bonds dissimilar materials (Glass, Metal, Wood, GRP, Plastics etc...)
National Caravan Council Approved

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
ok so my solar panel and my Sat dome are held on with nothing more than sikaflex adhesive why?
Because that's what they used to stick it with

Sikaflex 11FC+ - Multipurpose Adhesive and Joint Sealant, a fantastic product. White now in stock.

Now with the patented icure system, Sikaflex 11FC+ is even easier to use! Easier to gun out and kinder to the environment the icure system is a big step forward in product development.

A fantastic product from a great manufacturer, Sikaflex 11FC+ is perfect for a wide variety of applications, whether in the motor vehicle repair market, marine repairs, boatbuilding or general construction. Sikaflex 11FC is easy to use and ensures a great finish.

Sikaflex 11FC is a one part, gun grade dual purpose adhesive and sealing compound which remains permanently elastic. It's special formulation is based an a moisture cured polyurethane giving it an accelerated curing time.
As a leading manufacturer of silicone sealants and adhesives, Sika have, over many years become one of the strongest brands on the market with a reputation for high quality, specified products.

Prices from as low as £8.01 + Vat (The cheapest on the internet!!)

Please remember that all our prices INCLUDE Vat.

Box quantity is 12 Per Box. Tube size 300ml
Applications for Sikaflex 11FC:

Vertical and Horizontal Joint and Crack Sealing
Cover Plates, Gaskets, Penetrations
Duct Work and Ventilation
Bonding Mouldings, Sills
Window and Door Frames, Boards
Bonding and Replacing Roof and Ceiling Tiles
Caulking Between Panels, Partitions etc...
Sealing of Reservoirs
Liquid Containers, Tanks, Silos and Aquariums
Advantages and Benefits of Sikaflex 11FC:
Excellent adhesion to most building materials
Fast cure rate
High durability
Great weathering and water resistance
Seals and Bonds in one
Suitable for potable water (Drinking Water)
Application of Sikaflex 11FC+:

All surfaces should be dry, clean and free from contamination
Cut nozzle to suit application and apply using a sealant gun
For sealing: Extrude Sikaflex 11FC+ into the gap, ensuring contact with all surfaces.
For bonding: Bead as required and press contact surfaces together.
1 x 310ml tube yields: 4m of a 12 x 12.5mm joint or 15m of a 5mm bead.
Uksealants are proud to be assosiated with Sika, one of the world's leading manufacturers of sealants and adhesives.

For more technical information please see technical downloads.

SIKAFLEX 512 CARAVAN SEALANT & ADHESIVE 300ML

Sikaflex 512 Caravan is perfect for work on Caravans and Motorhomes!

Approved by the National Caravan Council Sikaflex 512 Caravan is a fantastic product. Whether you are sticking back down, sealing, bonding or repairing, Sika 512 Caravan is brilliant for internal and external work.

Colour: White

Box Quantity: 12

Advantages & Benefits of using Sikaflex 512 Caravan:

Bonds & Seals in one
Creates a strong watertight joint
Elastic & non Shrink
Bonds dissimilar materials (Glass, Metal, Wood, GRP, Plastics etc...)
National Caravan Council Approved

It used to say OXO on buses but they never sold them ::bigsmile:From above ten yrs experience I have tried all sorts and yes Sikaflex is very good and does stick but after a while it lets go of plastic :winky: Hence lots of plastic roof lights leak etc,:winky:
I use a combination of both Sikaflex (type) and GP Mastic just to make sure :thumb: Try asking any of the builders for something that will stick plastic to ali fibreglass etc and they all take a Sharpe intake of breath and give you Sikaflex type.If you are sticking plastic to plastic then use either low mod silicon or a plastic weld stuff :thumb:The placcy weld is best by far but both awkward to use /finish well
terry
edit when something is stuck it should stay stuck

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Paul give me a reminder of this in 7/8 years time when your seams/roof lights need resealing :winky:
terry
Edit I should also add that on converting my van I used 72 tubes of Sikaflex type adhesive heehee but anywhere it looked like it could leak got the extra GP mastic as well BTW nothing has fell off yet !

Last edited:

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
What adhesive

Rapid set from Wickes etc comes in 2 parts,glue which you apply press together surfaces,then use spray can to quicken reaction time and 10 seconds later job done,just reseal tins and ready for next job used by double glazing firms,kitchen fitters etc :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Paul give me a reminder of this in 7/8 years time when your seams/roof lights need resealing :winky:
terry
Edit I should also add that on converting my van I used 72 tubes of Sikaflex type adhesive heehee but anywhere it looked like it could leak got the extra GP mastic as well BTW nothing has fell off yet !

do you know what? Actually I can.

I fitted 2 roof lights back in 2005 having replaced the ones that were solid with mini Heikis. You could look through my blog to the "let there be light post". I still see the van regulally and there is no leaking at all. The only time it leaked was the day after when I had missed a bit.
So put that in ya pipe nah nah nah nah nah. :winky:

My point is that your post made it sound as if I and the other poster that had recommend Sikaflex were somehow wrong. Wrong we are not, you simply recommend something you choose, there is no problem with that, but to suggest what we would prefer is wrong is incorrect, different yes, wrong no. :Smile:

BTW, you could just follow me for another 6 years and have yourself a new solar panel and Camos dome when it falls off. Having taken it off my last van, I can assure you adhesive it is.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Err, we have Mark of CLS fame coming tomorrow to do a job. Can ask him if ya like. (Swift accredited and all that jazz)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
do you know what? Actually I can.

I fitted 2 roof lights back in 2005 having replaced the ones that were solid with mini Heikis. You could look through my blog to the "let there be light post". I still see the van regulally and there is no leaking at all. The only time it leaked was the day after when I had missed a bit.
So put that in ya pipe nah nah nah nah nah. :winky:

My point is that your post made it sound as if I and the other poster that had recommend Sikaflex were somehow wrong. Wrong we are not, you simply recommend something you choose, there is no problem with that, but to suggest what we would prefer is wrong is incorrect, different yes, wrong no. :Smile:

BTW, you could just follow me for another 6 years and have yourself a new solar panel and Camos dome when it falls off. Having taken it off my last van, I can assure you adhesive it is.

Go back and read my post again Paul I did not say or imply you were wrong in recommending Sikaflex.I simply stated a fact that it lets go after a while and that it goes off (over night) once opened.:Eeek: It is much cheaper to use low mod silicon for sticking plastic at a quid a go (opposed to 7/8 quid) with the benefit of you can use it again several weeks/months after :thumb:Indeed my own van is literally stuck with a Sikaflex alternative (£2 a tube x 72:winky:) I too would have stuck on your panel and dome ::bigsmile: but I also recommend you keep an eye open for any slight cracks around the sticking points :thumb:I can assure you that Sikaflex will not stick Fibreglass to Alloy for long or plastic to plastic when any movement is involved or indeed the sun-I found this out on previous vans.:winky:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Go back and read my post again Paul I did not say or imply you were wrong in recommending Sikaflex.I simply stated a fact that it lets go after a while and that it goes off (over night) once opened.:Eeek: It is much cheaper to use low mod silicon for sticking plastic at a quid a go (opposed to 7/8 quid) with the benefit of you can use it again several weeks/months after :thumb:Indeed my own van is literally stuck with a Sikaflex alternative (£2 a tube x 72:winky:) I too would have stuck on your panel and dome ::bigsmile: but I also recommend you keep an eye open for any slight cracks around the sticking points :thumb:I can assure you that Sikaflex will not stick Fibreglass to Alloy for long or plastic to plastic when any movement is involved or indeed the sun-I found this out on previous vans.:winky:
terry

sorry, must of mis read it then, Im sure your first line states it wont stay stuck to plastic,?
My reply was simple, Sikaflex says it does :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Err, we have Mark of CLS fame coming tomorrow to do a job. Can ask him if ya like. (Swift accredited and all that jazz)

Would this be the Swift who's floors rot, who's doors fail, who's beds collapse ?

Good accreditation then.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

It would b a waste of time Jenny ::bigsmile:We all know Sikaflex type adhesives/sealers are great at a lot of stuff (but not all) that's why Mark will use it on some jobs and a caraseal for others :thumb:It is knowing which for which that counts :thumb:After all even Swift cannot get the seals right on a lot of there vans hence they leak ::bigsmile:
Swift spend thousands with such as Bostick developing glues and seals but unfortunately it does not always get to the man on the shop floor or the man uses a different seal that he thinks does the job when in fact it does not,again results in leaks.:winky:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
sorry, must of mis read it then, Im sure your first line states it wont stay stuck to plastic,?
My reply was simple, Sikaflex says it does :Smile:
SimpleSikaflex tell you what they want you to hear :Smile: OK here, just one example for your Sikaflex man to do-Try joining 2 bits of waste pipe together using a 90 degree push in cement type joint.Leave for a 24 hrs or couple of weeks so it is dry :thumb: then simply turn the 2 bits of pipe in opposite directions- they move- try same thing with pipe cement and after five mins no movement IE stuck solid.Now tell me it sticks plastic - plus pipe cement is a couple of quid and you can use it again and again your Sikaflex has gone off after 24 hrs-do not believe everything they say
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
SimpleSikaflex tell you what they want you to hear :Smile: OK here, just one example for your Sikaflex man to do-Try joining 2 bits of waste pipe together using a 90 degree push in cement type joint.Leave for a 24 hrs or couple of weeks so it is dry :thumb: then simply turn the 2 bits of pipe in opposite directions- they move- try same thing with pipe cement and after five mins no movement IE stuck solid.Now tell me it sticks plastic - plus pipe cement is a couple of quid and you can use it again and again your Sikaflex has gone off after 24 hrs-do not believe everything they say
terry

Oh your boring me now.

I give up, the guy only wanted to know a decent adhesive, me and others have given him plenty to go on. :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh your boring me now.

I give up, the guy only wanted to know a decent adhesive, me and others have given him plenty to go on. :Cool:
And I didn't ::bigsmile: I too am bored so the friendly banter stops and we will have to agree to both be right ::bigsmile: but mine was the cheaper option :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I give up, the guy only wanted to know a decent adhesive,

If he didn't know before he sure as hell doesn't now.

Almost every solution has been shot down in flames and only one person asked the right question - what is he gluing ?

"Plastic" is no answer, there are a million plastics.

I'd reach for a tube good old Clear Bostic or similar contact adhesive. It penetrates textured surfaces, it's flexible. It's a pound or so and lasts ages.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
What adhesive

hilldweller like you:roflmto: never did discover what was to be stuck but if it was handbags there was plenty being wanged about on here what happened to season of goodwill.Reminds me of why i do not offer to contribute to much incase one offends:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Reminds me of why i do not offer to contribute to much incase one offends:Doh:

It's strange how the most innocent question can trigger the alpha male points scoring reaction.

The big problem for all of us it when to let a less than perfect answer lie. In the case of a bit of plastic stuck to a door, who cares, if it falls off he's not going to die.

Different matter with gas and electric, occasionally answers are dangerous and then it can get bloody.

On the whole, as long as we don't mention A-Frames, gas attacks, reverse polarity, illegally filling gas cylinders, things are quite peaceful.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
hilldweller like you:roflmto: never did discover what was to be stuck but if it was handbags there was plenty being wanged about on here what happened to season of goodwill.Reminds me of why i do not offer to contribute to much incase one offends:Doh:

It's strange how the most innocent question can trigger the alpha male points scoring reaction.

On the whole, as long as we don't mention A-Frames, gas attacks, reverse polarity, illegally filling gas cylinders, things are quite peaceful.

god, some of you read way to much in to things, ive known Terry since the forum began and before, :Smile:
Terry Knows Im right and he's a cheap skate. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back