Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Has anyone any expierience of carrying a bike either in an internal garage or by towing

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

i have towed both a bike on a trailer and a car on an A frame.

absolutely no problem with either bike or car.

i would advise a rear veiw camera though as you dont even realise they are behind and, if it should come unhooked, you wouldnt know.
that applies to towing a car as well. :thumb:

only had one mishap with the bike....a securing strap come loose and the bike started to fall over.
it wasnt about to fall off but without the camera i wouldnt have known.

never had a van with a garage so cant comment on that except for the weight issue.

because the garage is quite a way behind the rear axle, the bikes weight is considerably more than its actual weight imposed on the rear axle.

if the bike weighs 100kg it may put 140kg on the axle weight due to the leverage effect.

you need to be careful of that one as it can put you overweight at the rear.

Ooops...i assume you mean a motorbike

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi
Have to agree with Papajohn on this point, weight is your biggest problem it is easy enough to overload a garage without a bike as some will not take as much they would appear to take, makes looking around and checking prior to purchase all the more important. Don't forget total weight, as everything has to be taken into account even people.
Would agree a trailer would possibly be best bet.

Best of luck.

Dave .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Has there been some changes in the MOT laws regarding motorhomes with garages being classed as living vans and having to go to MOT stations that test heavier vehicles.

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My 500 Kawasaki on my easylifter.

Attachments

• General and peterborough 09 008.jpg
    General and peterborough 09 008.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You have to watch for weight in a garage - firstly de to the flor not being of suitable construction for that amount of weight - and secondly rear axle weight, which will be magnified by the distance between the axle and he garage. There is a name for it, and I cannot remember what it is called!:Doh:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've carried bikes and towed cars thousands of miles on various motorhomes.
Used easylifters and trailers and am currently carrying a 650 Kawasaki Versys in the garage of my Hymer. All systems work reasonably well but all have drawbacks.

Easylifter is good but you need a big motorhome to carry all that weight 3ft past the rear and the long term effect of the flexing must cause problems eventually.
Trailers are ok and possibly the cheapest option but a pain in the ass to reverse on a motorhome and have to be stored when on site, not always easy.
Carrying in the garage only works if you have a big enough motorhome to carry that much weight and a trip to a weighbridge fully loaded is a must and the floor really needs an adaptor for the bike to sit in.
Easylifter also have got a new piece of kit out the Hydratrail which is basically a trailer with swivel castor type wheels so reversing is no problem, but its very expensive. I actually have one but have never used it because I find carrying in the garage suits me best at the moment.
Lots of things to look at when carrying motorbikes or towing cars, what starts out as a simple issue quickly becomes very complicated.
Hope this helps:thumb:

Upvote 0

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Whats the rules on carrying petrol, either in a can or in the tank of a bike, in a garage? It sounds like a hell of a potent mix once you throw the propane into the equasion.

We had plans to have a small scooter on the back of ours, but the weight was going to compromise the payload too much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
I've carried bikes and towed cars thousands of miles on various motorhomes.
Used easylifters and trailers and am currently carrying a 650 Kawasaki Versys in the garage of my Hymer. All systems work reasonably well but all have drawbacks.

Easylifter is good but you need a big motorhome to carry all that weight 3ft past the rear and the long term effect of the flexing must cause problems eventually.
Trailers are ok and possibly the cheapest option but a pain in the ass to reverse on a motorhome and have to be stored when on site, not always easy.
Carrying in the garage only works if you have a big enough motorhome to carry that much weight and a trip to a weighbridge fully loaded is a must and the floor really needs an adaptor for the bike to sit in.
Easylifter also have got a new piece of kit out the Hydratrail which is basically a trailer with swivel castor type wheels so reversing is no problem, but its very expensive. I actually have one but have never used it because I find carrying in the garage suits me best at the moment.
Lots of things to look at when carrying motorbikes or towing cars, what starts out as a simple issue quickly becomes very complicated.
Hope this helps:thumb:

Thanks everyone ive recently bought the motolug trailer just need a bike now ha!

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I read once on a forum that carrying a bike inside is carriage of goods and screws up your insurance and MOT. Best check fully if you go that route.
It also means if you are over 3500kgs then you will need a heavy goods driving licence, not just grandfathered rights. AFAIK

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind do be careful if you have a 5er over 3,500kg gvw and have a garage area . this then is a living van . living vans over 3,500kg gvw need an mot and plating.
its possible that if its a very small m.cycle it could be classed as a disability aid.
the larger toyhaulers could come into this.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why ???

You only need a HGV if over 7500kgs.
Any thing over 3500kgs in a motorhome can be classes as PHGV. Apparently carrying anything inside the motorhome that is not for the"internal and normal enjoyment of said motorhome" constitues carriage of goods so changing the designation from Private Heavy Goods to simply Heavy Goods Vehicle.
This has actually been discussed several times before, it also changes the class of MOT if goods are inside when tested, naturally that all then affects your insurance and we know how they like to squirm out of responsibility.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Apparently carrying anything inside the motorhome that is not for the"internal and normal enjoyment of said motorhome" constitues carriage of goods so changing the designation from Private Heavy Goods to simply Heavy Goods Vehicle.
This has actually been discussed several times before, it also changes the class of MOT if goods are inside when tested, naturally that all then affects your insurance and we know how they like to squirm out of responsibility.

That may or may not be correct but still does'nt mean you need a HGV licence to drive a 4ton m/home.

Also IMO carrying a scooter or m/bike does'nt constitute carrying goods as its for personal use not hire or reward.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
private heavy goods can in fact be any size truck etc you want it to be. it would only pay phgv road tax if only carrying goods belonging to you . they must not be for hire rewaed or sales.
all m,homes carry goods, yours . all your clothes and belongings are goods or burden.
as to licencing . if you have a pre 97 licence then you can still drive a goods vehicle private or not up to 7,500kg .
if its not private then tacho regs come in along with tacho .cards if needed and soon driver cpc. these get exempt if running private. even towing a trailer that contains goods for sale etc could bring in tacho regs . operator licence regs . best just stay private . the rules are very easy to follow if you have difficulties contact vosa or give me a pm. i,m sure others on here would advise as well.
many that do use their camper to carry goods (for hire reward )and are over 3,500kg could pick up heavy fines and restrict their chances of operator licences in future .

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
private heavy goods can in fact be any size truck etc you want it to be. it would only pay phgv road tax if only carrying goods belonging to you . they must not be for hire rewaed or sales.
all m,homes carry goods, yours . all your clothes and belongings are goods or burden.
as to licencing . if you have a pre 97 licence then you can still drive a goods vehicle private or not up to 7,500kg .
if its not private then tacho regs come in along with tacho .cards if needed and soon driver cpc. these get exempt if running private. even towing a trailer that contains goods for sale etc could bring in tacho regs . operator licence regs . best just stay private . the rules are very easy to follow if you have difficulties contact vosa or give me a pm. i,m sure others on here would advise as well.
many that do use their camper to carry goods (for hire reward )and are over 3,500kg could pick up heavy fines and restrict their chances of operator licences in future .

Exactly the way I understand it

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I seem to remember it was Geo who clarified the MOT position. Re carrying goods and MOT licence classes and the distinction was made between normal items used in a motorhome and carrying bike/scooter/motorcycles etc. So ignore it if you will or delve further and get the official answer. I'm Done.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
roger, you are almost correct if the gross vehicle weight is over 3001 kg gvw upto 3,500kg and is goods then its a class 7 test instead of class 4 . all m,homes are class 4 .
unfortunately mot . tax ,driver licensing doesnt always correspond to being the same rules . they are different .
class 7 can be done at mot garages if the facility to test such vehicles is available .or at a goods vehicle testing station.
roger is correct if you think you maybe contravining this best ask at your local vosa test center.
i dare say as the tend for the larger m,homes o have garages gets more wide spread updates will be made to the regs.
insurance is something only your insurance company can let you know if they will cover you. thats a different mine field. ha ha .
goods vehicles over 3,500kg gvw require plating and testing as a hgv.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back