First trip to france to see the Tour De France (1 Viewer)

hedges2561

Free Member
Dec 30, 2011
suffolk
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20+ years
Hi all. My father and I are hoping to get over to France this summer. He wants to see a stage of the Tour De France live before its 'too late'.. he's a fit 86 and is/has been a keen motorhomer for over 25 years. He still gets out and about in england, but I will be driving abroard...LOL
Any of you out there who have done so in the past or are planning a trip this year.

Any help/advice much appreciated
:thanks:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The tour was on last year when we were there. With having no interest in it we tended to keep out of its way.
It must be simple enough to get hold of a copy of the route and the various stages, starts and finishes. From there on you can book your sites and plan your route around that.

We had a guy who pitched up next to us one night last year. His daughter was cycling in an International race and he was acting as her support base.

He arrived on site at about 3pm and his daughter arrived on her bycycle a couple of hours later.

You should be able to do the same type of thing but taking it a bit more easy.

Sounds like a nice thing to do. Get off with you dad and help him fulfill an ambition.

Jim
:Smile:

Another idea, google tour 2012. There will be lots of forums dedicated to the tour and you may be able to team up with a group.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any of you out there who have done so in the past or are planning a trip this year.

Any help/advice much appreciated
:thanks:

Use the search engine here, it has definitely been done by some folk.

If I remember correctly it's a case of getting to your spot days in advance and knowing the good spots.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
We have been for the last three years now Hedges,last year was the best as we watched the last mountain stage as they came over from Italy,the time trial stage and the final stage in Paris, you just need to be there a day or two early and enjoy,we were with some of the Dutch fans and they realy know how to party,wilding is the word,next year will be the best as we may well see a British rider winning hopefully look out for you. :Smile:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have been for the last three years now :Smile:

The power of FUN.

Italy into France. We've ridden Martingy to Chamonix, awesome, anyone doing that on a push bike is beyond my comprehension.

Mind blowing......

Attachments

• pass.jpg
    pass.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
We are going this year, trip all planned out. Heading down to the Alps to see the stage that comes over the Col Du Grand Columbeir - see my post about it at the following link;

Broken Link Removed

Our trip will see a couple of days to get down there, stay at a site near the bottom then try and get a spot on top 2 days in advance. We may ditch the site and get up there 3 days in advance due to the possibility of little space left.

It's important you have a backup plan just in case you don't get where you want. After scouring Google Maps, I've spotted a Wild spot at the base of the mountain and will hike up the morning of the race, just in case I don't manage to squeeze in somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We have been twice, in a caravan, so were unable to park up at on the mountain stages route.

However did watch from some of the lumpier routes - the OH, for some reason, was not keen to cycle up to the mountain stages so we stayed lower.

You an just get the route form the TdF website and position yourself on the roadside a couple of days before and watch the stage, or go to a low level site on the route and walk to a viewing point of your choice.

Either way it s a great experience, enjoy it.

Cheers

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back