France (1 Viewer)

colin&lesley

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
WidmerEnd Nr High Wycombe
Funster No
Exp
New
We are investigating and planning a trip to France in the summer, but have no idea about camp sites. We like the Dordoigne area. Does anyone have experience in this area and any advice on nice sites that are close to walking distance towns.:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Not an area I am that familiar with, however unless you want sites with tons of facilities, go for municipal sites or aires as these are usually close to town centres.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
plenty of gaming books on the market

If you google camping books for France you will come up with loads of them.

As suggested Municipal sites are good value and as are the Aires for short stops. While it only gives discounts out of season (a lot of the year in France) I would suggest you get a copy of the ACIS book (s) 2012 just come out and you may still get a copy, normally well sold out by January. That lists thousands of sites and gives all the details of them in each area. costs about £12 ish .. plus if you fit within the time slots you can get your pitches cheaper... the book pays for it's self every year we find and some.

Do a few searches.. while you are at it consider the ADAC cover for your motorhome..again a real bargain.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our own dear funster 'Hollyberry' is in the Dordogne - I don't think she's signed in at the moment but I'm sure she'll be along soon :Smile:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We traveled around France for 6 weeks this year, down the east side and then across the med and up through Carcassone, the Lot and then 10 days on the Dordogne.

We used mostly ACSI campsites, we had a caravan at the time, and for the Dordogne we stayed in Sarlat at the suburb of Le Caneda campsit les Acacias - camping-acasias@wanadoo.fr or page 138 in the new 2012 ACSI book.

A quiet site within 2.5km of the town of Sarlat which is well worth a visit, which we did walking, cycling or even on the bus which stops 400m outside the campsite.

Would recommend the tourist board tour of the town , along with the huge market, a cycle ride to Souillac along the old railway line, the castles at Beynac and and the pre history museum at Les Eyziers. there is so much to do and see, we will be going back!!!

We originally were looking to stay 5 days but ended up staying 10 because the weather was good and there was so much to do in the area.

hope this helps

bob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its really difficult to find a camp site that's within walking distance of the town anywhere in France.

We have a dog and you are not allowed to take dogs on to public transport in France so we were more than a bit stuck.

The last time that we were there was for two months and spent as much time as we could stopping on Aires.

Being on the Aire puts you as close to the town as your going to get.

We thought we were in the Lake District when we were in the Dordogne. :roflmto:
Jim
:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Its really difficult to find a camp site that's within walking distance of the town anywhere in France.

We have a dog and you are not allowed to take dogs on to public transport in France so we were more than a bit stuck.

The last time that we were there was for two months and spent as much time as we could stopping on Aires.

Being on the Aire puts you as close to the town as your going to get.

We thought we were in the Lake District when we were in the Dordogne. :roflmto:
Jim
:Smile:

We have to disagree about finding campsites close to town.

For the last three years in France we have used a mixture of aires and campsites. As we have a 3 year old boy who sometimes decides he does not want to walk far, we normally get campsites close to town.

We have not had a problem at all finding them. We just do a bit of planning, sometimes just the day before, check out a few reviews online, and have a look on the map and off we go....:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I live in the Dronne Valley in the Dordogne, close to a village called Tocane St Apre.

I can recommend a trip along the Dronne.

Tocane has an aire with electric hook up, waste disposal etc..there is also wild camping available alongside the river. Walking distance to bars, P.O. bank, boulangerie, weekly market. There are tennis courts, boat and canoe hire.

Bourdeilles is about 15 kms away with pretty castle, lovely big aire ( now 3 euros a night I believe) right on the river, fishing, swimming in river or pool, walking distance into the lovely historic mini town. Canoe hire again.

Brantome is then about 10 kms further on. Stunning--the "Venice of the Perigord" the oldest church tower in France is here, above the Abbey. Electric boat trips around the town, canoe hire, weekly market. Really nice shops, many situated in caves (can recommend the Pizza restaurant in a cave!) Lots to see and do in the town.
Again, a riverside camp site.
About 10 kms outside the town there is a large cave system with ancient roof paintings.

You can visit Perigueux. I believe there is now parking on the edge of the town and a free bus to the centre but I'll look into this when I go home.

From the Dronne area if you wanted you could go onto the Les Eyzies and Sarlat areas. V touristy but beautiful.

Do email me if I can find anything out for you. If I don't rent out my house for the year, you are v welcome to visit and camp in the garden, of course!

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Eventually found it! Some info about sites close to towns Broken Link Removed

Steve