Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Has anyone considered retro-fitting Daytime Running Lights?

There is an interesting and seemingly accurate article on Wikipedia here which refers to all vehicles Type Approved after February 2011 needing to have low energy Daytime Running Lights.

I would not expect that any legislation to be retrospective but there appear to be major road safety benefits in having these lights.

Google found Link Removed (of which I have no connection) which seem to cater for X250 owners with a reasonable cost retro-fit, utilising the (on mine anyway) blank space for fog lamps.

Steve

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks Steve, they look good. I wonder just how tough/easy they actually are to fit? Hope someone gets some and fits them and reports difficulty rating.

:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i like the bit where it says or remove the fog lights if required.
why dont they just make them to fit in the square hole above the fog light hole as i think that would be a better position

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Or you could just turn on your lights when you're driving and not spend anything!

Pete:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would not expect that any legislation to be retrospective but there appear to be major road safety benefits in having these lights.
Steve

British studies were nowhere near as optimistic as the EU ones.

My belief is that when all vehicles have them they will not make any difference at all and might end up more dangerous because the glare will hide dangers, like pedestrians in dark clothing.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
although its not a new idea is it volvos have had their side lights on for donkeys years

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or you could just turn on your lights when you're driving and not spend anything!
Pete:Cool:

Too easy !

And, as always, regulations have two prime movers, legislators who want to keep their jobs and vested interests.

There does not seem to be much commercial advantage in these so I guess 90% of the reason for the legislation is keeping some EU tower of pen pushers making work to keep their jobs.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Although these are LED lamps and therefore a bonus, running lights when not necessary costs you, (you get owt for nowt) lights, A/C etc all put a load on the battery and therefore the alternator takes extra engine power, at £6.5 a gallon every little helps!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
although its not a new idea is it volvos have had their side lights on for donkeys years
my V70 had dipped headlights on when the engine was running........until i found the little hidden switch which turns them off

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi, fitted DRL's last year and personally think they are worth the cost. Yes, they do get you noticed and if fitted correctly do not glare oncoming drivers. Fitting; easy, with basic DIY knowledge to allow adjustment. Relay links in with headlights so that they turn off once headlamps are lit. Consumption; LED's not worth worrying about use more fuel dodging pot holes.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009

I believe it would cost - two Day Running Lamps consume 8 watts and two dipped headlamps, two tail lamps and one or two number plate lamps considerably more (approx 150 watts?). More power consumption = more fuel consumption.

why dont they just make them to fit in the square hole above the fog light hole as i think that would be a better position
Is that not the cooling vent for the front brakes?

Steve

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
my V70 had dipped headlights on when the engine was running........until i found the little hidden switch which turns them off

OK c'mon spill the beans please.....where's the switch?

I have never managed to find one on my V70 and the manual says it's a dealer job £££££££:Doh:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
My belief is that when all vehicles have them they will not make any difference at all and might end up more dangerous because the glare will hide dangers, like pedestrians in dark clothing.

This article on the BBC site also mentions concerns that motorbikes will no longer stand out during the day by having their lights on, putting them more at risk from car/truck drivers who fail to see them at junctions, etc.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
DRL's are like hivis vests and amber beacons, useless when everyone uses them. they are as usefull as straighht bananas, wieghing in kilos, and buying fuel in ltrs, I,d be concentrating on making sure your towbars and electrics are compliant come your next MOT, and that you have no wiring that could get snagged or chafe, all of which will be a fail, rather than sticking more lights on that if there, will have to work.
While we are on the subject, has anyone got any go faster stripes, carlos fandango wheels or those magnets that save you gallons and gallons of fuel?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I fitted them to my RV

I purchased some Daylight driving lights ... about 20 less double stacked from one of the shows last year and fitted them to the RV (Ford E350) located them under the headlamps and they come on with the ignition. Had the RV MOT'd last May and nothing was said about them being on while the engine was running or with the headlamps when they were tested. I have them linked to the ignition via a fused unit. I certainly can be seen when I am on the move.

Bob

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldn't entertain the thought!

Using them would divert precious electrons from taking a trip through my batteries!:winky:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If they are required on a new vehicle, they will already be fitted.
If not required on an older vehicle, why fart about retro fitting?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Very simple

If they are required on a new vehicle, they will already be fitted.
If not required on an older vehicle, why fart about retro fitting?

VERY VERY SIMPLE SO THE OTHER IDIOTS CAN SEE YOU.:cry:

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
VERY VERY SIMPLE SO THE OTHER IDIOTS CAN SEE YOU.:cry:
Bob

You are driving around in something the size of a small town, if they can't see that will a few LEDs help ?

"Look dear some bright LEDs".

"Yes dear they are attached to a small mobile town, should you visit Specsavers ?"

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Remember Brian I have also

You are driving around in something the size of a small town, if they can't see that will a few LEDs help ?

"Yes dear they are attached to a small mobile town, should you visit Specsavers ?"

Very true Brian.. but if you think I have the usual American array of orange front marker lamps... 5 across the roof line and then my marker poles have orange lamps on them that also light up I look like a christmas tree in the dark.... but in the day time the daylight running lamps do make sure that I am seen ...I will never know if it has stopped an idiot pulling out or not... but even if once it works then that makes them worthwhile in my books.

If no need for them, why are they now on all new cars?

Bob

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Saw some in Halfords the other day, 6 and 8 led, Prices were reasonable too £15- £25 per set

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK c'mon spill the beans please.....where's the switch?

I have never managed to find one on my V70 and the manual says it's a dealer job £££££££:Doh:

depends on the model year i suppose (mines 2001), but if you have an off/side/head rotary light switch on the r/h side of the dash then read on.....

in good light, look at the switch surround.
there should be one or three small screws around the outside of the surround. mine has one.

using a small screwdriver, cant remember if Philips or flat, try to turn the bottom right screw a quarter turn...... don't force it as it may be a different one on your model year.

that will turn of the daytime running lights.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If no need for them, why are they now on all new cars?
Bob

I covered this on page 1
======================
And, as always, regulations have two prime movers, legislators who want to keep their jobs and vested interests.

There does not seem to be much commercial advantage in these so I guess 90% of the reason for the legislation is keeping some EU tower of pen pushers making work to keep their jobs.

I add: "This department, as a result of investigations and new regulations introduced will statistically prevent 2000 deaths per annum in the EU". Big pats on backs all round, champagne flows, holidays are booked, the pention pot grows, the mistresses get a bonus.
======================

Bikers have a different take on "seeing". We are a small target and very vulnerable so we have to do the seeing for others. Always "will he pull out, where is my escape route ?".

But in your case, huge and dangerous, I would this would grab the attention of other road users with or without LEDs. You can't hide behind a door pillar like a bike can.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
that will turn of the daytime running lights.

But why would you do that ? I can't think of a negative for them and they just might get you seen.

Now this is a totally different argument to going out and buying and fitting running lights which will have less and less effect as time goes on. I'm sure in my mind that sooner rather than later we will see increased pedestrian and cyclist accidents as drivers attention is focussed on bright running lights and not dull pedestrians and push bikes.

Those in the ivory EU towers aren't going to publish "......will save 2000 motorist lives but cause 7500 pedestrian lives" are they. No. Instead they will move on to "We therefore legislate for high visibility pedestrian and cyclist jackets, this will save about 7500 lives per annum". Forgetting they caused them in the first place by a badly researched study on cars.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But why would you do that ? I can't think of a negative for them and they just might get you seen.

Now this is a totally different argument to going out and buying and fitting running lights which will have less and less effect as time goes on. I'm sure in my mind that sooner rather than later we will see increased pedestrian and cyclist accidents as drivers attention is focussed on bright running lights and not dull pedestrians and push bikes.

Those in the ivory EU towers aren't going to publish "......will save 2000 motorist lives but cause 7500 pedestrian lives" are they. No. Instead they will move on to "We therefore legislate for high visibility pedestrian and cyclist jackets, this will save about 7500 lives per annum". Forgetting they caused them in the first place by a badly researched study on cars.

personal choice Brian.
if i want my lights on then the manufactures provided a handy main light switch, which allows me to make my choice.

then there's the 'not concentrating/misunderstanding' aspect.....i'd driving along a major road and someone is waiting to pull out of a sideroad, a quick cursory glance in my direction and they see lit headlamps and possibly think i'm flashing them out......i know, i've done it myself :Doh:

and it's bad enough driving a 'grandad' car without advertising the fact :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as more and more of these regs come in makes you want to kep hold of your old ones . no regs on towbars only the mot. no running lights etc unfortunately i have a couple f m,bikes that have them . .i prefer not to have them, not wear reflective jackets etc. we are suposed to be in a free country. if i had my way i would go back to no indicators on m,bikes as well. you can do as you want, so long as its what you are told . hee hee
i got into trike building to get around helmet and seat belt laws . i do like the flashing beacon on my truck though, hardly every use it but i think it plays a part of my disguise. look like a working truck get left alone. after all its only a game.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think the route of all this is down to low driving standards overall.

people didn't used to have sat nav's and mobile phones to distract from the duties of driving and as such people paid more attention to the road and what was going on around them.

i bet that possibly 90% of accidents are caused by these gadgets.

the "OH SORRY I DIDN"T SEE YOU" because i was texting my bitch on my f***ing Iphone.

ditch the sat nav and the mobile phone do your route planning before you even think of getting in the car and write it down in simple form as M* jct 45 to A*** then you focus more on whats going on.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What about the importance of NOT being seen?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmRgQX82O4[/ame]

Being ex-Army, I'll take my chances without extra lights!!!!::bigsmile:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009

Oh no they don't!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back