Planning a route - Garmin Dezl T560 (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi,

I have bought a Garmin Dezl t560 so I can switch between car and motorhome usage.

i have set A to B routes on it in the Uk and they work fine.

Dowever I want to set a route from Dunkirque to Interlaken in Switzerland and I am having great difficulty in doing it.

Has anyone had any experience of setting this type of route?

Cheers

Bob

OP
OP
Cyclewalkbob
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Thanks but yes, I bought the full western europe map version.

It is just annoying that on my old 10yr old tom tom it had the option of "did you want to avoid toll roads".

On the Garmin you can put in the end destination but am having difficulty in knowing how to ensure the route does not include toll motorways.

My wife is happy to map read ( giving me a big I told you so look) but it defeats the object of having a sat nav if i cannot set a route!!!!

I am sure it is me, otherwise there I am sure we would have heard that there was a problem

Cheers

bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
probably settable in the parameters menu like with TomTom.

you will need to scroll through the menu's to find it but with a route that long it may be better to accept tolls and then re-route as you approach them.

to avoid a 10 mile toll may take you 20/30 miles off route.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Avoiding Toll Roads

If its the same as the several Garmins I've had under the menu - settings - navigation menu you will find a button marked "avoidances". Click on that and you will be presented with a number of things to avoid, toll roads is one of them.

Hope that helps
Martin
:Smile:

OP
OP
Cyclewalkbob
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Thanks for everyones help, looked at settings to see if there is the avoidance option, but cannot find it!

Will have to contact Garmin to discuss it with them.

thanks again to you all

bob

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Looking at the Garmin support site it gives these instructions for accessing the avoidances on the Dezl unit

nuvi 2200, 2300, 2400, 3700 series, nuLink! 1695, nuLink! 2300 series and the dezl series:

Touch Tools on the main menu
Touch Settings
Touch Navigation
Touch Automobile or Car (Or Truck for the dezl series)
Touch nuRoute
Touch Avoidances
nuvi 295W:

Touch Settings on the scrolling menu
Touch Navigation
Touch Automobile
Touch Avoidances
Here you will see a list of avoidances. The device will include some of the following avoidances:1

U-Turns – The U-Turns avoidance will avoid taking you on a route that requires a U-turn
Highways or Motorways – The Highways or Motorways avoidance will avoid highways, Interstates, freeways, motorways, and other major routes
Toll Roads or Tolls and Fees – The Toll Roads or Tolls and Fees avoidance will avoid toll roads and certain specified congestion zones
Traffic – The Traffic avoidance will route you around traffic problems if a quicker route is available, provided you are using a traffic receiver with an active traffic subscription
Ferries – The Ferries avoidance will avoid taking you on a route that requires a ferry crossing
Carpool Lanes or Car Share Lanes – The Carpool or Car Share Lanes avoidance will avoid routing you on lanes designated specifically for carpooling
Unpaved Roads – The Unpaved Roads avoidance will avoid taking you on unpaved roads
Custom Avoidances – Custom Avoidances is a feature available on some devices that will allow you to select specific areas or lengths of road to avoid. For a full list of devices on which this is available, and for steps on how to use it, please view the following article: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0f37d3e0-5440-11dd-f529-000000000000}

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Custom Avoidances – Custom Avoidances is a feature available on some devices that will allow you to select specific areas or lengths of road to avoid. For a full list of devices on which this is available, and for steps on how to use it, please view the following article:

Wohooo!!!!! i like the sound of this function :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Looking at the Garmin support site it gives these instructions for accessing the avoidances on the Dezl unit

nuvi 2200, 2300, 2400, 3700 series, nuLink! 1695, nuLink! 2300 series and the dezl series:

Touch Tools on the main menu
Touch Settings
Touch Navigation
Touch Automobile or Car (Or Truck for the dezl series)
Touch nuRoute
Touch Avoidances
nuvi 295W:

Touch Settings on the scrolling menu
Touch Navigation
Touch Automobile
Touch Avoidances
Here you will see a list of avoidances. The device will include some of the following avoidances:1

[HI]
U-Turns – The U-Turns avoidance will avoid taking you on a route that requires a U-turn
[/HI]Highways or Motorways – The Highways or Motorways avoidance will avoid highways, Interstates, freeways, motorways, and other major routes
Toll Roads or Tolls and Fees – The Toll Roads or Tolls and Fees avoidance will avoid toll roads and certain specified congestion zones
Traffic – The Traffic avoidance will route you around traffic problems if a quicker route is available, provided you are using a traffic receiver with an active traffic subscription
Ferries – The Ferries avoidance will avoid taking you on a route that requires a ferry crossing
Carpool Lanes or Car Share Lanes – The Carpool or Car Share Lanes avoidance will avoid routing you on lanes designated specifically for carpooling
Unpaved Roads – The Unpaved Roads avoidance will avoid taking you on unpaved roads
Custom Avoidances – Custom Avoidances is a feature available on some devices that will allow you to select specific areas or lengths of road to avoid. For a full list of devices on which this is available, and for steps on how to use it, please view the following article: https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={0f37d3e0-5440-11dd-f529-000000000000}

I think you will find if you tick U Turn avoidances and you miss a turn the Garmin will continually try to re route you back to the original plan it set out for you when you set your original destination, a real pain in the arse!! I'm too embarrassed to admit the problems that it caused me the first time I used it and doggedly followed the routes it kept setting me, suffice to say it nearly went in the bin!! However with experience I have allowed UTurns by not ticking the avoidances in Navigation and it now works as I would expect it too:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back