louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Hope you dont mind a few questions .I am about to buy an autocruise starburst 2007 i have paid a deposit but having looked on a few forums that i may be buying a few problems. is it true that all the fiat x250 chassis have the reversing judder problem and water ingress under bonnet. have i any warranty with peugeot on these two things did test drive seemed very nice but didnt try reversing
:Eeek:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hope you dont mind a few questions .I am about to buy an autocruise starburst 2007 i have paid a deposit but having looked on a few forums that i may be buying a few problems. is it true that all the fiat x250 chassis have the reversing judder problem and water ingress under bonnet. have i any warranty with peugeot on these two things did test drive seemed very nice but didnt try reversing
Hi louwil & welcome to Fun :flyingwelcome:

I would assume that these problems should have been sorted by a previous owner but you should check with your dealer unless you are buying private

Brian

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

The water ingress problem on the front scuttle should of deffinately of been sorted as there was no problems in doing that and recalls were issued.

With the reversing issue, it raised it's head and must of nearly killed the industry. There is nothing more dangerous than a target audience of people with time on their hands (ie retired folk) experienced folk (ie retired folk with engineering degrees) presented with a problem or inferior peice of equipment that they have paid good money for.
Some may say that it was blown all out of proportion, some would say it was a traversty that these Vans even left the workshop.
But here is how it works, Those that shouted loud enough were taken to garages and presented their problem. Some vans were test driven by mechanics and faults were identified. Because of this some "adjustments" were made, engine mountains to start, whilst others even went as far as getting new gearbox's.
Mine?
Well, I own a x250 and yes it does "judder" just about, I reverse it in and out of my drive, I have reveresed it uphill for a laugh. Mine must be a good one because it is barely noticeable and I wont be losing any sleep over it for two reason's.
1) Im way too busy to worry about something that happens when in 10000 miles of motorhoming last year, I probably never drove a complete mile backwards.
2) I dont fit in to the two categories I mentioned earlier, being young, a good driver but very thick mechanically :Cool:

So if you are going to have too do a lot of reversing uphil, then you best nip back for your deposit or a test drive, if you fit my category,,
See you on the road sometime soon :thumb:

The only thing I would say is that this matter has nearly dies in the water from when it first raised it's head. There has not been to my knowledge a string of Vans with broken gearboxes etc that I am aware of? So there must be a lot of people going forward.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User

Don't let it get you down just join the club it's not the end of the world there are thousands out there thinking the same :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi and Welcome...... and Merry Xmas

My van is on the Peugeot Boxer Base, 2009.

I have already had the engine cover fitted. In the New Year the Bonnet scuttle modification will be done as well as a cover for the alternator. This is all under the Peugeot Warranty.

As for reversing, I have had no problem worth talking about. I think quite a few of these reversing judder issues stem from improper use of the clutch.

Callum

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi and Welcome...... and Merry Xmas

As for reversing, I have had no problem worth talking about. I think quite a few of these reversing judder issues stem from improper use of the clutch.

Callum

ooooeeerrr, Your a braver man than me fella. :ROFLMAO:

I was told this by a FIAT engineer (high up) some time ago, When I mentioned it on a forum I had to fit shutters build a moat and install anti tank mines around my property for daring to suggest that it was actually something to do with the driving abilities of some people. :ROFLMAO:
good Luck,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

At that age it will be out of warranty. Dealer warranties are not up to much. If it goes pair shaped you will be thounds out of pocket.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have a 3ltr X250 semi auto.and its a real pleasure to drive.
Really enjoyable ................great power and no judders in any direction:)

mine is 2009,.......all the best

Barry

Johno

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Kent
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30+ with caravanning & camping
Hello and welcome Louwil

Regarding reverse judder this was a problem despite comments about driving technique.
In my case the vehicle was a Fiat 2.3 X250 chassis circa 2007, after contacting Fiat customer services they arranged for the vehicle to be sorted out at the local Fiat franchise in Canterbury. The work carried out consisted of replacing engine mountings, complete clutch assembly and rebuilding the gear box with a different ratio reverse gear, the final cost to Fiat being in excess of £2000 and this was at trade prices. After completion of the work the motorhome was a different vehicle reversing up my sloping drive virtually on tickover.
It would seem that not all vehicles had this problem and maybe I'm an old cynic but I think for obvious reasons Fiat tried to cover up a potential financial disaster.
I changed the vehicle a few months after getting this work done:Doh: as I personally found the suspension to hard and the conversion really noisy no matter what measures I took to illiminate the racket ,this combination making all long trips on our rough potholey roads rather tedious to say the least, so I returned to Ford Trannies and their soft comfy suspension.:thumb:
Oh yes just a comment on the driving technique my work at the time involved driving a variety of LGVs and 7.5 tonne vehicles averaging about 40,000 miles per annum, not high mileage I know but with surprisingly no reverse juddering, the exception being the Fiat.
I apologise Louwil for any distress caused but as previously remarked we do most of our driving going forwards so enjoy what is a great hobby / lifestyle.

John.

OP
OP
L

louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
thanks every body

Going to see MH this weekend hope to put my mind to rest and try to check these two thing out, also learn how every thing works so fingers crossed we will be joining up for more info & chat in the next few weeks happy new year every body

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Going to see MH this weekend hope to put my mind to rest and try to check these two thing out, also learn how every thing works so fingers crossed we will be joining up for more info & chat in the next few weeks happy new year every body

Do yourself a favour
find a nice hill near the trader
so you can reverse up it
Ask him to allow you try it

If he won't assist you walk away

It's your money your spending

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just to throw 5p in... i had my x250 mods done under warrenty and it was fine..
also

i believe the 6 speed box was the biggest culprit... but i am willing to be corrected.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've an 02 Fiat, I don't spend my life going in reverse! Guess I'm lucky enough to be able to drive up my drive, then turn around and reverse a few yards into my parkspace.

Judder in reverse?

Who cares? I enjoy going forwards, enjoying my hobby, and my advice to you is enjoy it too, forget the nitpicking, get out there and enjoy the freedom a M/H can bring you. You don't go anywhere in reverse!

Welcome by the way:thumb: they are a good bunch on here!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back