Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just had what could be our last Christmas dinner in our current home.

The house goes on the market in March and hopefully will sell during 2012, we then plan to load up the camper and do some long term sightseeing around the whole of Europe.

I reach 65 in July and am currently planning to retire from full time employment.

We have lived in this house for 37 years, brought up 3 children in it, and have many pleasant memories, but it is time to move on. Don't know what we are going to do with all the clutter we have collected though?.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds good to me, de cluttering is a thankless and often difficult task, ebay can be your best friend followed by freecycle, and finally charity shops and the tip. It seems no one wants old vynal or videos, tapes etc and ornaments unless valuable don't seem to have a market, but then youngsters starting out may be glad of them. Or possibly put stuff in storage ready to furnish the next house after the travel. Personally I would let the house and gain an income then still have a way back into housing market at a later date. Whatever you do 2012 is going to mean some huge changes to your life, enjoy them.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good plan , you only get one life and you cannot spend your money in heaven. Enjoy it. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
sounds good to me, de cluttering is a thankless and often difficult task, ebay can be your best friend followed by freecycle, and finally charity shops and the tip. It seems no one wants old vynal or videos, tapes etc and ornaments unless valuable don't seem to have a market, but then youngsters starting out may be glad of them. Or possibly put stuff in storage ready to furnish the next house after the travel. Personally I would let the house and gain an income then still have a way back into housing market at a later date. Whatever you do 2012 is going to mean some huge changes to your life, enjoy them.

Have to agree about renting, may do that.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
be carefull with the letting, make sure you have a good agent who will monitor the property and tenants correctly.

no pets,no unemployed no single parents [nothing to stop a nutter moving in] sounds hard but that property is your pride and joy it can be wrecked in no time at all

dave

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Good on you and hope you have a ball..............it's your time now and make the most of it..........

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi ya we are just in front of you, hopefully the house will be sold by the end of January. We have been decluttering all summer. We did 3 massive boot sales using the motorhome, which was a nightmare but it was great having cold drinks or tea and coffee on tap, bacon sandwiches etc. We couldnt use the shower until it was all unloaded then we would nip in and have a shower. It was hard work but we raised over £800.

We sold some of the more valuable stuff on ebay, although ebay is getting over saturated with goods. Its getting harder to get the right price. We took at least three car loads to the charity shop, recycled to other friends and then finally at least 8 trips to the skip.

We still need to get rid of some stuff. We are going to store a small amount of furniture. We might actually rent somewhere this year too. We will buy another house but that will be a buy to let type house. We decided that our house had too much money and time and memories tied up in it to rent out.
However if the sale falls through we might end up renting our house out

Its been hard to get rid of stuff we have been here for 26 years and had three children here too. Some people find it easy to give up their house, and although I am not that attached its been hard getting rid of everything.

My best advice would be to try and keep on the property market if you can, as we know of people who have given up motorhoming and used all their capital up and then find that they cant get back on the property market.

If youre paying for storage for your furniture unless its really valuable you could replace most of it after 3 years in storage. So think carefully.

Wish you luck and follow your dreams why you can.

Pat

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think Rog has got it about right get rid of the junk,:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: an rent the house for a year, get some income from it an sell it later

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The rental market is good at the moment, much better than sales.

And no - I'm not an estate agent.............:ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If I were you I too would consider the rental bit- if your property market area is anything like ours you could loose out big time.One house next door but one was on the market for 235kthen last yr dropped to 195k followed by 175k and down to 145k :Eeek:I was told they have now accepted a offer of 125k :Eeek:They paid 135k 7 yrs ago for it :whatthe: Same with the house 3 doors up on sale for 250k dropped to 230k now at 170k and I know they will accept 140/145k because they have emigrated to NZ and they were renting it out but the last renters left owing 2k rent and it cost another 2k to repair/redecorate the damage. :Doh:God knows what the agents were doing.
terry

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

The house goes on the market in March and hopefully will sell during 2012, we then plan to load up the camper and do some long term sightseeing around the whole of Europe.

I reach 65 in July and am currently planning to retire from full time employment.

We have lived in this house for 37 years, brought up 3 children in it, and have many pleasant memories, but it is time to move on. Don't know what we are going to do with all the clutter we have collected though?.
CLUTTER PROBLEM SOLVED ........ SELL WHAT YOU CAN AND GIVE THE REST AWAY TO CHARITY .....SIMPLES!!!!!:thumb:

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp

Just looking at this post and thinking how many mixed emotions must be running through your heads. I see that you too like Scuba Diving, my guess is that when your pulled up next to some beach with clear warm waters and the sun shining down you'll be living the dream and thorougly enjoying your new freedom...go for it and have fun!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back