Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Sat in our van just outside Moreton in the Marsh in the North Cotswolds and I keep losing my connection for ten to twenty minutes at a time

If I scroll down to the little box at the bottom right corner it always says:-

Speed 11.0 Mbps

Signal stregth excellent

Status connected

but it will not let me back in until it feels fit to do so----Is this the norm?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi alan that is using windows i suppose.
the little icon relates to the connection status of the wifi to the dongle which will always say good and connected as you are in close proximity to the dongle.

if you just press the power button on the dongle its screen should light up and give status of connection to the mobile network.

sounds to me like you are on a fringe area of mobile coverage and it is that what is causing you the drop outs.

you should have on the screen of the dongle the signal strength,connection type be it 3G or H ,then there will be the wifi box with a number next to it telling of the number of connected devices. then the world symbol which i believe relates to connection to internet then the battery status.
under those there should be the network provider in my case here just a big 3.
then under that will be the amount of data transferred and time switched on

hope this helps.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Alan... season's greetings...

Please forgive me if you already know this but just in case your 3 thingie is like my Vodafone sharing Dock thingy... I realised (eventually) the the "signal strength" displayed refers to the signal between your computer and the "thingy"... the other thing needed is a good connection between the the "thingy" and the 3G network... I pay for "up to 5mb" but never get anything like it! Could the speed indicator indicate a "best case" scenario and at the moment you are in a poor area.

The other thing I suffer from is if it is a particular time of day the 3G network gets overloaded and it all slows down (and sometimes stops)...

Sorry if this is Grandma and egg sucking...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Due to valuable information received I have found my specs and put my brain in gear

I had never seen the bars on the modem thingy so just turning it around improved it and then i remembered it had it own battery so stuck it in the Heki and its never gone off since

Funsters triumph yet again ----Thanks and all the best to you all

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Alan,

You could try putting the MiFi unit as high up in the van as possible. I find that putting it in one of the sky lights resting on the blind works well.

John

Too late you worked it out for yourself while I was typing

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We often just put it in one of the windows of the overcab bunk and the signal improves no end... that's the benefit of it being wireless.

You could also resort to sticking it up on a flag pole or broom handle etc and elevating it as high as possible, (sealed in a waterproof bag of course) to get a better signal.

It does actually work. :thumb:

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Next question we have not got a brush handle with us so------- Lynda is perched on the upended step with her head and shoulders out of the Heki

Now very out of character she is moaning a bucketful any ideas how to placate her

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Next question we have not got a brush handle with us so------- Lynda is perched on the upended step with her head and shoulders out of the Heki

Now very out of character she is moaning a bucketful any ideas how to placate her

Tell her she is now officially on lookout duty for Santa and Rudolf flashing across our skies.....

and Santa is now homing in using 3 Mifi units.....

that might get you another 5 seconds if your lucky.......:RollEyes:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Put a box of chocs and a big glass of wine on top of the status aerial and then raise the mast just out of reach. That should keep her up there for a while :Smile:.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Just turn the tv up loud and you wont be able to hear her......problem solved::bigsmile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has just got four lights on in each corner .no number or things showing me my usage .have i got the old mifi then ?and how much did you guys pay to upgrade to that one then please ?

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Mine has just got four lights on in each corner .no number or things showing me my usage .have i got the old mifi then ?and how much did you guys pay to upgrade to that one then please ?

Merry Christmas Ours is, I think, the latest one from the 3 shop it is an E586 and it costs I think £18.00 per month for 15 GB which sounds expensive. We do however go away almost every month so that saves us a tenner a month on the dongle and it is all we ever use when we are at home. We do not even have a telephone line at home and this E586 lets us run up to five wireless thingies at any one time. The fact that we are old fashioned and only have two is incidental

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Merry Christmas to you too . I PAY £15a month for 15gb :with a free mi fi but mine doesnt sound the same as your mi fi but.have to research this . :Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have the previous version also on the £15 a month with free mi fi.
The new one I am told is slightly faster but we find ours is fast enough anyway so will wait the contract out then get another free one. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The newer one (e586)

Screen-Shot-2011-09-12-at-10.22.18.png

has a newer LCD display as opposed to the LCD of the e585 and the LED of the even older (e5830)...

REVIEW-4874-64934124b62c46295813bb3ee5d44707.jpg

I have had the old, old one, the e5830 for about 2 years now, bought off e-bay unlocked for £30.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'll have to pester "3" to get a new one then as I don't want to renew my contract end of may, I want to have a rolling contract as I couldn't use it when I was abroad this year and still had to pay the £15 a month, if I stayed longer than the 2 months we stayed last time it would be a waste of money in my opinion.

Bill123

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Lancashire
Exp
New to it all!
We bought a 3 Mifi outright, and just buy sim cards from amazon pre-loaded with 3GB of data which lasts for 3 months. Once the time (or the data) has run out, we just chuck the sim card away and put in a new one. Have tried to insert link below - .

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Broadband-Preloaded-Mobile-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324836216&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Broadband-Preloaded-Mobile-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324836216&sr=8-1[/ame]

Ok, so you've got to buy the Mifi in the first place, but there's no contract to worry about and the sim cards are cheap enough.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Stick a large gin in her, always seems to work:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back