Downgrading weight of motorhome? (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi cany anyone explain what is meant by this:- [HI]"The gross vehicle weight is 3800 kg but can be down graded to 3500 kg if you want. "[/HI] I enquired about the gross vehicle weight of a motorhome and received this reply.
I would have thought it weighs what it weighs.

Norman

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi norman the gross vehicle weight is the maximum it can weigh on the road in this case 3850kg
if you downgrade it to 3500kg you loose 350kg of payload which could be all the van has anyway.
the reason for offering the downgrade is so that a new driver or an driver over 70 can drive said vehicle as they normally have 3500kg restrictions on their driving licenses.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Your "running" weight may be less than 3500kgs in which case you could "downrate" it to allow it to be driven on a car licence without "grandfather" rights.
Be careful if you do this that you have enough left for your needs. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Gross includes all the stuff you put in or on it, as well as the weight of the van itself in running order, including people, bikes, tv's, tables chairs, water.... etc.

So if you can down grade it, but in doing so you are effectively reducing the carrying capacity of the van.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Gross includes all the stuff you put in or on it, as well as the weight of the van itself in running order, including people, bikes, tv's, tables chairs, water.... etc.

So if you can down grade it, but in doing so you are effectively reducing the carrying capacity of the van.

So perhaps it might be an idea to find the weight of the vehicle before all the extra is added and then estimate how much "spare" weight might be available for full water tanks, passengers, and kit yes?

Norman

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Norman
I am in the process of uprating my van at the moment to accommodate a weight issue when fully loaded going abroard etc, It can be down rated later back to 3500 if in time I reach 70 and fail the medical for vans over 3500 :cry::cry:, hope this helps . Pete :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
So perhaps it might be an idea to find the weight of the vehicle before all the extra is added and then estimate how much "spare" weight might be available for full water tanks, passengers, and kit yes?

Norman

Sounds like a good plan.....:thumb::thumb:

Try it though in "Full running Mode" with everything filled up and packed as if you were off on a long trip.
The results will show you if you need the extra capacity or if 3500 kg would be enough.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you downrate the van you will pay considerably more road tax and, as others have said, you will lose 350kg of payload

over 3500kg is classed as a private heavy goods and VED is currently £165

if you passed your test after 1997 you are restricted to 3500kg and you will need to take a second test to allow you to drive over 3500kg and upto 7500kg with a 4500kg trailer

before 1997 you already have the C1E category as a 'grandfather' right and can drive upto 7500kg with a 750kg .

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I don't think anyone alse has mentioned that there are significant advantages in not being over 3500 whilst driving on the continent. Generally 3500 or under is treated as a car, but there are many places where things are different over 3500. eg motorway tolls - and in Austria the need for a go box if over 3500. Also diff requirements in Switzerland. Quite a few roads are limited to 3500 in some countries. In germany some 2 lane motorways prohibit overtaking for long stretches if you are over 3500kg. Speed limits ore often lower over 3500kg.

So if you think you can manage with the reduced payload personally I would downplate to 3500. (as indeed I did with our rapido which came at 3700)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think its fair to say nobody would be able to tell the differance if you are 3.5 or 3.8.
the chances of ever being checked are almost nil. certainly france had a driving licence restriction years before our new 3.5ton restriction. its one of the reasons of many fiats etc were down plated in the begining. i would be amazed if you ever get checked to see if you are over 3.5. your choice though ,i could be wrong.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Quite a few vans (Rapido, Hymer etc) have an outside plate with the weights on so it is easy for the weight of a stationary van to be checked.

Yes you might well get away with it, but its not a risk I would take in countries like Austria or Switzerland where the process for tolls is totally different over 3500kg.

In my case I now had a 3500kg certificate, plate and V5, but the original 3700 plates are also still on the van so maybe I can choose what I want for the circumstances!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately no. if he weight is on the log book then you cant choose.max fine for being over weight is £5,000.00 you could be either made to drive to a place of safety and have to have the excess weight removed before carrying on your journey.or just not allowed to carry on untill the weight is removed .
but you dont have to have the plate on show. i would sooner risk the first instance of being in the wrong place etc than actually be overweight with the vehicle.
better really not to do it though. mind i thionk lots of us as sneaked somewhere we shouldnt . at least once. ha ha .
also being over weight can lead to other offences being commited if the police or enforcers want to be awkward.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back