MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Caxtons now offering 1.18 to the pound.
Loaded my card again!!

We are off to europe in late jan feb

are Caxtons a good bet?

can you use them anywhere?.......Like in restaurants and retailers or just holes in the wall.

thanks

barry

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I used a Caxton card in November and found that it was accepted everywhere the only place I could not use it was at the ING bank hole in the wall

Interesting point throughout the euro zone I visited (France Germany Luxenbourg Belgium) apart from the Swiss border I found it was impossible to exchange currency anywhere all the Banks etc no longer change anything to Euros

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can you use them anywhere?.......Like in restaurants and retailers or just holes in the wall.

thanks

barry

No motorway tolls and some fuel pumps rejected them. We still managed to empty it :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I used a Caxton card in November and found that it was accepted everywhere the only place I could not use it was at the ING bank hole in the wall

Interesting point throughout the euro zone apart from non euro borders I found it was impossible to exchange currency anywhere

Sounds good ...............so you use the card just like a visa card garages as well ?

barry

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds good ...............so you use the card just like a visa card garages as well ?

barry

Barry,
Have a look at their website (Google it) where everything is explained. This is the first time i will be using a Caxton card. However, a lot of experianced users on this website swear by it.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In all 17 countries ?

That's a good question Brian! I belive Greece is at risk and there is a good chance they will drop out of the Euro leaving 16 countries remaining. However, my gut feeling is they will once again receive support from Germany which could be the undoing of Merkle.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
new to this caxton card idea. had our first 4 week in France this year.. had great time and will be off again in spring.
i have read the caxton website and got the message but from Brian's point can't see if Motorway tolls are payable with the card. i assume your well travelled Brian so that would be a definite no then?:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Motorway tolls are payable with the card.

I'm sure it failed all tolls we tried.

Not the end of the world, tolls are best avoided since they double fuel costs in France. Though some bargains in Italy.

We will be using it again.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
The reason why its not a good idea to use them in garage forecourts as it puts a hold on a minimum of about 200 euros for a few days even if you only put 60 euros in. So if you filled up a couple of times you could have a hold on all your available euros on the card until its released.

As for tolls we havent used them for that.

please bear in mind that FSA dont cover money used for foreign exchange, so if anything happened it could effect the money you have on it if something that happened you could lose your money. (I think its still the case).

Although we have used it many times but tend to limit to about 500 euros at a time, you can load it when youre still out travelling though so you could bolster it that way.

Pat

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am thinking of stuffing the safe with sterling and change the odd handful as and when I need it wherever I am at the time. This way I intend getting the best rate without any commission or bank charges. The £ is rising steadily each day so why load some prepay card at today's rate when you would get a better rate tomorrow.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Am thinking of stuffing the safe with sterling and change the odd handful as and when I need it wherever I am at the time. This way I intend getting the best rate without any commission or bank charges. The £ is rising steadily each day so why load some prepay card at today's rate when you would get a better rate tomorrow.

During my travels in Germany and Belgium I was unable to change any currency into euros all the banks and PO I tried no longer offer exchange facility's :Sad:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Perhaps the Euro will become like the Turkish Lira and all the traders would prefer sterling or dollars at a much better rate!

Steve

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Perhaps the Euro will become like the Turkish Lira and all the traders would prefer sterling or dollars at a much better rate!

Steve

My thoughts entirely. Having spent time outside the Eurozone when the Euro was strong it was common practice to quote prices in local currency and Euros.
The exchange rate was always better when making purchases in Euros at that time. Strong currency is always in demand.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
new to this caxton card idea. had our first 4 week in France this year.. had great time and will be off again in spring.
i have read the caxton website and got the message but from Brian's point can't see if Motorway tolls are payable with the card. i assume your well travelled Brian so that would be a definite no then?:Doh:

I can only say from experience.
Last year when skiing we had some one with us using one on the tolls. The toll machines would not accept it , although accepted everywhere else. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back