spiketracey

Free Member
Jun 2, 2011
liverpool
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I have a Swift motorhome 06, with a habitation door lock problem. The door will open from the inside but not from the outside. We took it to our dealer who looked at it (did not strip the door down) and advised us that the full door mechanism needed replacing. When they looked for the part, we were told that the mechanism is now unobtainable and we will have to buy a new door (£2000+):cry: What a rip off. Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how was it resolved? Hope someone can help:thumb: Cheers

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Door mechanism

I had the same problem and was able to fix it without to much of a problem with out taking off all the door panel.
If you take the screws out from around the door you should be able to see inside the door and mine was a cable that had come out of its housing and i was able to fix it back in. Its a bit like a brake cable on a bike .
Alan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome....

i think i'd be changing dealers.....they obviously dont want the work or cant be bothered to sort it.

if it is actually broken, and you wont know until its stripped, i would ring round a few swift dealers and see who has one in stock.

replacing the whole door is a little extreme to say the least when there are plenty of alternative locks which should fit your van.

many of the hab door locks are universal and fitted to a miriad of different makes/models.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We have the same broblem with our bessacarr. Fortunately it is only a year old and still under guarantee. It's the rubber cable which is attached to the bottom of the door and the motorhome frame. The wiring in there has snapped. We are waiting for a call from swift to let us know when they will be replacing the door. Don't make the mistake we did of leaving the keys in the van as we were locked out when the habitation door wouldn't open from outside, and we had to borrow a kiddy to climb in through the garage.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
same problem on my autotrail, striped the door panal off. it was a broke spring, pennies to mend.

Ive seen autotrail doors on ebay, new surplus stock?, there will probalbly be one for yours if you look, but i dont think you'll need it

dealers pah..

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
:welcomefunster::welcomefunster::flyingwelcome:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have a Swift motorhome 06, with a habitation door lock problem. The door will open from the inside but not from the outside. We took it to our dealer who looked at it (did not strip the door down) and advised us that the full door mechanism needed replacing. When they looked for the part, we were told that the mechanism is now unobtainable and we will have to buy a new door (£2000+):cry: What a rip off. Has anyone else had the same problem and if so how was it resolved? Hope someone can help:thumb: Cheers

HI, I too have had the same problem (Welcome to the world of Swift motorhome owning) and I too was able to fix it myself, I can't remember exactly what the problem was but I remember that there was a spring that was out of place, but even when the lock is working it does not feel nice.

Doug...

Cotswold Lad

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two Years
Habitation door opening mechanism

Recently experienced similar problem with our Swift/Bessacarr E769 when the internal handle went floppy, having snapped at base of handle where it connects to the rod that activates the opening mechanism (could still reach out through sliding window to open door from outside). Our Service Centre, Marquis Motor Homes advised that the complete internal mechanism had to be replaced at a cost of £446 (including 2.5 to 3 hours labour) saying Swift will only provide them with the complete mechanism, not component parts (words such as cabal and closed-shop spring to mind, as well as a few unprintables).
I'm no mechanic but stripped the door down and removed the broken part with ease; five minutes on Google sourced the handle mechanism (opening handle, locking handle and its housing) all for £29 + £10 carriage (made in Germany by Happich). Contact Happich UK and speak to Les, one of the most helpful people you'll find.:thumb:
Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• BrokenHandle.jpg
    BrokenHandle.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 94

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
From memory, I recall that AutoTrail can supply the complete assembly for about £95 maybe less

Ian or Glenn will know more

Peter

Cotswold Lad

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two Years
What I'd like to know is why (allegedly) Swift Leisure compel motor home service centres and/or dealerships to purchase parts from them and not allow them to purchase parts from manufacturers, as I was able to do? To reiterate, I was quoted £446 by Marquis Motor Homes to replace the broken internal (habitation) door release handle on our Swift Bessacarr E769. As pensioners with a restricted budget for caravan park fees alose, this kind of charge was unacceptable. I was able to purchase the handle myself from Happich (Les Clarkson, Tel: 01788 550703) for £29 and fit it in half the time quoted to me by Marquis, despite not being mechanically trained. After advising Marquis they could have purchased the part concerned from Happich they informed me they HAD to purchase these parts from Swift Leisure! To me this kind of restrictive practice is less than acceptable, but in today's Rip Off Britain it is also less than surprising:thumb:.

Attachments

• Rip_off_Britain.jpg
    Rip_off_Britain.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 18

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Broken Link Removed
What I'd like to know is why (allegedly) Swift Leisure compel motor home service centres and/or dealerships to purchase parts from them and not allow them to purchase parts from manufacturers, as I was able to do? To reiterate, I was quoted £446 by Marquis Motor Homes to replace the broken internal (habitation) door release handle on our Swift Bessacarr E769. As pensioners with a restricted budget for caravan park fees alose, this kind of charge was unacceptable. I was able to purchase the handle myself from Happich (Les Clarkson, Tel: 01788 550703) for £29 and fit it in half the time quoted to me by Marquis, despite not being mechanically trained. After advising Marquis they could have purchased the part concerned from Happich they informed me they HAD to purchase these parts from Swift Leisure! To me this kind of restrictive practice is less than acceptable, but in today's Rip Off Britain it is also less than surprising:thumb:.

I too have been ripped off in exactly the same way and by the same company, its one of the reasons why I will never, NEVER buy or have anything to do with Swift or their products again. and what put the insult on top of the injury was that the door needed replacing because it failed due to a fault building process, I.E. the outer skin become de-laminated

Doug...

Broken Link Removed

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Most strange, I can buy parts from wherever or from whom I choose, the only time I have to obtain parts from a converter or appliance manufacturer is for warranty repairs and they are free anyway.

Peter

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Talk about Deja Vu! My Habitation Door lock finally Knackered out today:Doh: it had been playing up for a few months:Angry:

Picked up the complete unit (lock not door!) for about £140-145 from Jeff Cox at Derby

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My problem was the same as some of the above. Stripped the door out and found a broken spring, cost, coppers. Did take a bit of time to strip and rebuild the door though. Many manufacturers use the same mechanism.

Bill

May 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
BessacarrE769
Hi
I have the same problem if you take the cover off on the inside my handle has snapped and the previous owner weird it together so it will open on the outside but not the inside

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
If difficult to fix then just have a yale type lock fixed to the door, either above or below original lock.
Probably more secure than original too.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Firstly I would strip it down and try to find the problem and the repair.

its. Most likely something loose or worn.

secondly I would be looking on eBay for a replacement lock.

why eBay there are so many assorted locks about you may be lucky .
the other option is contacting as many breakers as you can while attaching an image of the lock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back