Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:Doh::Doh: Motorhome has been on electric hook up on the drive for three months, started engine a few times, Got up this morning tried to start motorhome,battery seems flat does this mean it is not getting charged on hookup, or is the battery gone? The battery is five years old.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like it is not charging from the hook up to be honest

Simple tester for you

Check the voltage on the battery with side lights on and no hook up

Pop the EHU lead back in and check it again
If it is still the same then it is not being charged from hook up

If it has come up then it is the battery

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I had an autoquest 140 and on hook up it only charged the leisure battery. To charge the cab battery a seperate charger had to be used or connect a cheap solar panel:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Autoquest range only charges the leisure battery from hook-up. I fitted a CAK Tanks battery charge manager to ours earlier this year but prior to that used one of the Lidl chargers from time to time. If the battery is really flat you may have to jump start it and run the engine for half an hour before a charger will touch it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you are quick i heard of someone that fitted a battery charge monitor to charge the engine battery and i heard they may have it going spare at the moment:thumb::thumb:

ticker

Free Member
Sep 8, 2010
Funster No
What the devil is an EHU lead?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ticker and welcome :thumb:--EHU electic hook up lead :winky:
terry

ticker

Free Member
Sep 8, 2010
Funster No
Thank you so Terry. I just love 'techies' who use esoteric terms. Where in S. Yorks?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if you are quick i heard of someone that fitted a battery charge monitor to charge the engine battery and i heard they may have it going spare at the moment:thumb::thumb:

Sorry Andy, it's still on the van. Too much hassle to try to remove it ::bigsmile:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The Autoquest range only charges the leisure battery from hook-up. I fitted a CAK Tanks battery charge manager to ours earlier this year but prior to that used one of the Lidl chargers from time to time. If the battery is really flat you may have to jump start it and run the engine for half an hour before a charger will touch it.

An alternator will NEVER fully charge a battery, it only tops it up, it will need proper charging.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thank you so Terry. I just love 'techies' who use esoteric terms. Where in S. Yorks?

WOW !! I have been upgrade to a techy !! Nice one ...... :thumb:

I just love folk who like to show off their vocabulary ......................

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as the battery is 5 years old and starting to fail in cold weather, i would think about replacing it.
starting the engine regularly is good but you do need to run it for 1/2 an hour or so to replace the charge taken when starting

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
There are so many battery questions on the forum that it would be nice if someone could write a flow chart type diagnostig for the those that need it.

any offers?

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
An alternator will NEVER fully charge a battery, it only tops it up, it will need proper charging.

Yes, I realise that. However, the Lidl Tronic T4X (similar to CTEK) chargers will not touch a battery that has too low a charge. When we once let that happen we had to jump start it, run the engine for about half an hour then switch off at charge with the Tronic - which worked fine.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A lot of the "intelligent chargers" like the C-Tek, have a seperate fly lead with them, that you can permanently attach to the battery, then plug the charger in when needed. the end of the fly lead can be put somewhere convenient so that the motor can be left locked etc but still charging.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I keep one on stock that I helped design.. ( a lot of the rather expensive ones... esp a certain very well known make oft used by bikers ... tend to kill batteries )

I think the ones I keep are about ÂŁ25.00 and genuinely can be left on all the time as they have a proper sensing circuit and cycle charge

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:roflmto::roflmto: Got up this morning to put battery on charge connected to battery thought i would give her another go before switching the charger on. Bugger me she turned over and fired first time!!!!!!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You know, I reckon you might well have had exactly the same as me.. ( and yes, I bloody well should have known better and checked properly !! )

Remove the battery terminal clamps, give them a damned good clean and refit using a bit of silicone grease to prevent further issues :Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Ticker, What Jaws should have said is Soltttlctktopithttptoeitm... as it is known in South Yorkshire:Doh: how does he expect you to understand what he meant with EHU :Doh::winky:

Mel

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You could be on to something there, but it wasna Tick59, it was Ticker ( and he is keeping his location secret :Smile:

So Ticker, where abouts in the world are you good sir ??

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
ticker I forgot to put on what it stood for:winky: This for those out of south Yorkshire area...not including the ones in North, West, The Greater Yorkshire....... THE LARGEST COUNTY IN THE UK

"Soltttlctktopithttptoeitm"

"Sithie old lad, thar tecs thar lecy cable thar knows thar one pluged into thar harse then thar plugs thar other end into thar Motorhome"........

Known to other people as EHU:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You could be on to something there, but it wasna Tick59, it was Ticker ( and he is keeping his location secret :Smile:

So Ticker, where abouts in the world are you good sir ??

Thanks jaws.... I put ticker and changed it ....thought i was seeing things...bl**dy old :Doh:age

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
More to the point, he claims to have houses to plug the lead in to !!

Talk about wild exaggeration !! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back