Casper the Ghost

Free Member
Dec 18, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi been motorhoming for about 9 years not too serious about it and time has been limited but hoping to make up for it this year 74 supposed to be retired but the wife keeps me at it did I say at what NO!!! . Anyhow we are off early Jan fromDover on the 6:30 am ferry to Calais to the south of spain La Manga Murcia Malaga area and looking for the best route trying to avoid as much toll roads as poss can any of you exp travellers advise route with suitable overnight stops we are travelling in a 7mtr 3ltr unit and can cover a fair distance in a day. Tks in anticipation
Casper

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Have fun in Spain Casper ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Casper

There are plenty of routes through France, though snow, if its around, might affect which high routes you travel. A good map a one eye on the weather and you'll be fine, just explore away heading in a general southerly direction:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Casper, welcome to the fun. there are two main routes the coastal route which is flat and at time quite boring and the central A20 route. This route is easy to drive and there is always an "N" road alternative when you come to toll sections so it it possible to get south without massive toll bills. There are ,any plces of interest along this route. France is a huge country please don't dismiss it in your rush to get south into Spain you are paying for the fuel so enjoy the trip. As to places to stop. "All the aires of France" is a good place to start it is in English! Published and sold by Vicarious books (members on this site)
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/
give them your Fun membership number for a discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and Welcome

for toll free routes stick to the N roads they are excellent roads, but for some big cities e.g. Bordeaux it is a good idea to jump on the toll road to get round it rather than through it. A good french map book is a good idea and of course Tomtom makes it easier. We tend to do a mix of N roads and the free and toll motorways.
France is colder than England in the winter so make sure your heaters work, we tend to get through with 2 overnight stops if we are not pushing time

If you have tomtom just set it so it says no toll and it should only put you on a toll road if there is no alternative

OP
OP
C

Casper the Ghost

Free Member
Dec 18, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Have fun in Spain Casper ::bigsmile:

You ask if my cup is half full or half empty
well today I had a full bottle of Iron Bru It was half empty by lunch time and no one admitted drinking it so I spent the afternoon just waiting for someone to Rift
Csper

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back