LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We normally park our van on the drive, well out of harm's way but as we've been having a new roof put on the house these last few days we've had to move it off during the day. Not ideal but we've deliberately parked it not far away on a nice wide piece of road where it is an obstruction to nobody.

All has been well until this morning when an Asda delivery van skidded on the icy road and clipped the offside rear corner.
The offside and rear panels are creased and gouged.
The door to the washroom (which is at the offside rear corner) has come off,.
The rear nearside wheel was forced up onto the kerb removing the lower half of the tyre.
The force sent the leisure battery against its locker door breaking the lock.
Goodness knows what other internal fittings and chassis components are compromised.

The lucky thing was that the Asda driver managed to stop just before he hit two cars which had collided just beforehand and nobody was hurt in either incident.

By coincidence our roofers were just arriving and witnessed the collision so we can rely on them if necessary. The police attended so at least it is all recorded officially. We now wait for the insurance assessor to come out on Monday to arrange for the van to be taken away and take it from there.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What a bummer.
Only good thing is that it happened in daylight and there were witnesses. doubt if Asda would try to wriggle out of anything & their insurance will sort it ll out but still a damn nuisance for you.

Friends just visited and said they were stopped at a roundabout in Angouleme, car ran into their rear. Both drivers got out, friend said they'd better move cars to side, and other drive took the chance to drive off.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Sorry to hear about this Graham.

On a lighter side will you be changing your board name?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear that hope it all gets sorted easily.

I was driving early this morning in Norfolk and the ice on the road was deadly. There were cars crashing and going off the road everywhere.

Scary stuff.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry to hear your bad news Graham. I hope that the insurance companies get things sorted out for you as soon as possible.

Brisey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All has been well until this morning when an Asda delivery van skidded on the icy road and clipped the offside rear corner.

Oh dear, but no-one hurt and the insurance will sort it all out, we all hope, but if they want to get stroppy I'm sure you can take them on. Couldn't have happened at a better time of year.

It wasn't a revenge attack for Shifty's conduct in Asda was it ?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oh dear, but no-one hurt and the insurance will sort it all out, we all hope, but if they want to get stroppy I'm sure you can take them on. Couldn't have happened at a better time of year.

It wasn't a revenge attack for Shifty's conduct in Asda was it ?

Could have been revenge for the complaints we've made to Asda this year I suppose :Smile: In reality, though, just a delivery driver going too fast for the road conditions.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
The good thing is no one hurt......everything else is material and can be replaced........but it is a real bummer and a pain in the preverbial......Hope it all gets sorted soon with no argument.

All the best Rick

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ah well every little helps?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzMJdEx-7MI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nzy-3FJPfQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyvmymRfdg[/ame]

Its an epidemic,,

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a bummer just as you are getting the House sorted along comes another thing to be going on with.

Hope you can get it sorted without to much trouble, we never know what is around the corner. Love to Jill bet she is upset. Carol. x

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Bit of a bummer Graham :Angry: Hpe it gets sorted to your advantage :Smile:
As I said in a previous post, people get caught out by the icy conditions and don't drive within their limitations or the road conditions. Anyone would think it was winter.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
What a pain. :Sad:
On the brighter side at least there's enough evidence of fault, etc. :RollEyes:

Hope you're back on the road soon.

ATB

John

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Wow sorry to read this post the only positives are no one hurt and you know what happened someone saw it and with Asda at least you know they will be insured ,not much consolation I know, but please do not let it spoil your Christmas your Health and Happiness are the things to treasure:sorry2. I do hope they sort things out quickly who is your insurer Graham?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
So sorry to hear this Grahm, it is heartbreaking. I hope that all goes well with the repairs and you are soon back on the road. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Bad news when your pride and joy is damaged, and all the aggro that can follow , bummer :Sad:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We normally park our van on the drive, well out of harm's way but as we've been having a new roof put on the house these last few days we've had to move it off during the day. Not ideal but we've deliberately parked it not far away on a nice wide piece of road where it is an obstruction to nobody.

The offside and rear panels are creased and gouged.
The door to the washroom (which is at the offside rear corner) has come off,.
The rear nearside wheel was forced up onto the kerb removing the lower half of the tyre.
The force sent the leisure battery against its locker door breaking the lock.
Goodness knows what other internal fittings and chassis components are compromised.

The lucky thing was that the Asda driver managed to stop just before he hit two cars which had collided just beforehand and nobody was hurt in either incident.

By coincidence our roofers were just arriving and witnessed the collision so we can rely on them if necessary. The police attended so at least it is all recorded officially. We now wait for the insurance assessor to come out on Monday to arrange for the van to be taken away and take it from there.
so now your insurance company has reason to increase your premium even though it was not your fault
they will not tell you directly that is the reason for the increase
but you will pay more because of it
I know of six people who have suffered such increaces in the past 10 months

it is wrong even with nnie years no claimes bonus my premiums went up +100% from £397 too £724
the insurance industry is just making money out of motorists :Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sundance

Just count your chickens, this is what Peter of Johns Cross Motorhomes get his groceries delivered in...

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ah well every little helps?

Its an epidemic,,
Sundance

Just count your chickens, this is what Peter of Johns Cross Motorhomes get his groceries delivered in...

I knew I could rely on my mate to cheer me up ::bigsmile:

Wow sorry to read this post the only positives are no one hurt and you know what happened someone saw it and with Asda at least you know they will be insured ,not much consolation I know, but please do not let it spoil your Christmas your Health and Happiness are the things to treasure:sorry2. I do hope they sort things out quickly who is your insurer Graham?
We're with Frank Pickles now (only since June). Jill phoned this morning after the collision and they were very helpful. We will see what Monday brings with the assessor.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I knew I could rely on my mate to cheer me up ::bigsmile:

Can I have 1st pick on the levelling blocks, and the spare toilet chemicals?
If you have anything else thats going spare, just remember that I asked 1st, forget these vultures on Fun, they are only there for what they can get.

Lastly, do you any of those magic trees hanging from the rear view mirror, ours smells like Roar Runners underpants (dont ask, long story and involes a lot of swarfega and a blow torch)

Needs must ect...

As always, your bestes always mate..

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
tough break Graham, but I think everyone has said it all. I just hope you were not planning a quick hop across the channel for some Christmas markets...

Hope it gets sorted quickly

all the best

David

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What an absolute ball ache mate.. Lord only knows how long that will be off the road :Sad:

When you complete the claim do not forget to include the cost of a hire vehicle in it for the entire time you are without its use..
I am sure there are at least ONE meet a week, every week, you will be attending

Also dig around and get at LEAST £800 on top as that will cover the increase in the insurance you will almost certainly get hit with :RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What an absolute PITA, Graham. As everyone else has said - you are both OK and that reallyis the main thing.

Now come the shenanigans into who is going to repair which bits. And the numpties in the insurers claims department who can't grasp the difference between a Swift habitation door and a Fiat cab door, the hab door needing complete replacement and the cab door requiring only a new glass. The engineer was 110% fine, two estimates, two bills, two payments - but not the back office. :Doh:

And ours was completely roadworthy and driveable etc. Just superficial.

I will certainly be most interested to hear details of how the repairs are managed. Not least because we're via Frank ourselves now, though of course they are only the brokers and I honestly can't remember who the cover is actually placed with.

Good luck!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry to hear that Graham, I trust you have explained it was a ft RV before being concertinaerd and the Christmas pressies hidden in the WC were all destroyed. Sounds like a write off to me twisted chassis etc so start looking for a replacement.
Merry Christmas, it will all pan out and I would be furious if your insurance premium was hoiked because of it. Roll on next year, a new van and a huge bag of fuel tokens from the insurance company.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry to hear about that Graham hopefully all be sorted out soon, im still looking for a flap for my 12v pump if your happened to get knocked off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to hear about that Graham hopefully all be sorted out soon, [HI]im still looking for a flap for my 12v pump if your happened to get knocked off[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You're all heart Gerry :roflmto: Unfortunately I think that's the bit that still works ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back