Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I have just picked up my blue Hymer Exsis, and noticed that the stark white pull out awning housing looks a bit odd against the dark blue of the van.

Does anyone know the best type of paint to use on this, as I would like to repaint and tone it down.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
all depends on what it was painted with at the manufacturers as some paints can cause a reaction when painted on top of others

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The outer casing for the awning will be powder coated (plastic). You can repaint with a plastic paint such as polyurathene paints - though you may need a suitable etch primer to bite into the current coating. Alternatively, you could use sperex tough paints which will stick after a rough up with a sctoch pad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do not take this the wrong way but if you have to ask what to use do you have the skill to make a good job?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'd play safe and go with the decal idea.
I know it's a different surface but my 3m high ceiling in my salon has a "flaky patch". Decorators sanded it all down, cleaned it all off, primed it, painted it--same thing has happened. Apparently there must have been a trial patch (how long ago I've no idea) of some different sort of paint and no paint will take on top of it, no matter how much it's cleaned off. The rest o the ceiling is fine.
You never know what might react on your awning so a decal is probably a safer bet.

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Do not take this the wrong way but if you have to ask what to use do you have the skill to make a good job?

An experienced mechanic, faced with new engine he has never seen before might be forgiven for not knowing the grade of oil recommended for it !!!
He may need to ask for advice.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Watching this with great interest as my awning casing stands out bright white against a cream van.......

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'd play safe and go with the decal idea.
I know it's a different surface but my 3m high ceiling in my salon has a "flaky patch". Decorators sanded it all down, cleaned it all off, primed it, painted it--same thing has happened. Apparently there must have been a trial patch (how long ago I've no idea) of some different sort of paint and no paint will take on top of it, no matter how much it's cleaned off. The rest o the ceiling is fine.
You never know what might react on your awning so a decal is probably a safer bet.
rub down and paint with an aluminium based silver paint, then paint over the top of it and jobs a good one.
Merry Christmas to Fluffy and family

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back