Dec 15, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Don' own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I am retiring in the New Year and plan to buy a second hand 2 birth motorhome to spend two three month periods traveling each year. I lost my dear wife and best friend Vie in August and so it will be my dog Molly and me travelling together but Vie will be with us in my mind and heart. I am considering buying a Romahome R30 because it is small and yet has a toilet and shower. Any suggestions as to other suggestions? Should I buy privately or from a dealer?

Bye for now

Regards

Alan

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Welcome to the Fun, Go for it, you and the dog, you'll have a cracking time.

I don't know the Romahome that well, but all you need is a place to lay your head and a loo for when caught short, should do a treat........Griff :thumb:

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi Alan, I am totally new as well but wanted to welcome you. Myself and partner have just bought a panel van conversion, second hand from the original converter. We feel that buying from a motorhome dealer has given us peace of mind and someone to fall back on. This website is also a wealth of knowledge. Enjoy your searching.

Ps we have taken our dogs touring and they loved it so Molly will be so happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Welcome. :welcomefunster:

Can't help much with the romahome. I have looked at them at shows and they are pretty neat, very compact and presumably fuel efficient.

If you are of a taller persuasion such as myself you need to check the beds are big enough, and this applies to most motorhomes, as some converters skimp on the bed sizes to fit more of other things in.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am retiring in the New Year and plan to buy a second hand 2 berth motorhome to spend two three month periods traveling each year.
Alan

Second person tonight. Solo. Going for 2 berth.

Don't do it. Do the job properly, give yourself some space. Three months is a long time. You need "things". A bit of comfort. Too small and you can blow your dream away.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Alan,
Welcome to Funsters and to the joys of motorhoming and most of all to your retirement; I have another 15 months to go before I join that happy band and Sue and I plan to do exactly what you are going to do.

With regard to buying your motorhome the first and basic rule is layout, make absolutely sure the layout suits your life style. Sit in the seats, make the bed and lie on it. Find out if things like an oven or a grill are important to you; it's too late after you have bought it.

Then don't buy a motorhome from anywhere till you have read a book like this or similar.
Link Removed

You might feel buying from a dealer will give you peace of mind; if you buy from a dealer like John Cross you will have peace of mind but there are as many unscrupulous dealers in motorhomes as there are in cars. Remember too, unlike cars, warranties will need to be served by the dealer who issued it so if you buy a motorhome from a dealer at the other end of the country a warranty will not be a lot of help.

Buying privately will be cheaper but the risks will be greater, especially if you do not have a friend "who knows" to accompany you. In either case a full service history, a proven mileage and a habitation report are all necessary before you buy any motorhome.

If in doubt post a thread as you have just done there are lots of people far better qualified than I who will give you all the assistance you need. And finally remember there is no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers and you will get loads of those to add to your fun here.

Happy hunting.

Norman

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Hi Alan.
I applaud you for your courage, 'life goes on' as they say and I'm sure that the future holds many happy times for you and Molly. Take your time selecting the right van, you're in good company here.
Geoff.:welcome:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi and welcome Alan :thumb::welcomefunster: but as others have said you will find a Romahome whilst excellent in many ways will become a rather cramped for long periods of use.

Far better a 4 berth coachbuilt with plenty of room and maybe a friend in times to come.

Peter

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Alan:welcome:

Firstly welcome, my friends have had the romahome in the past and traveled from Aberdeen all over the continent and enjoyed the van, they now have a 4 berth no longer than what they had and now realise what they have missed all these years, but the final choice is yours so what ever you choose enjoy. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Have a look at this, would suit you, belongs to Norman and Sue, members on here

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Second person tonight. Solo. Going for 2 berth.

Don't do it. Do the job properly, give yourself some space. Three months is a long time. You need "things". A bit of comfort. Too small and you can blow your dream away.

Agree entirely.

We spent 3 years in a 7.3m motorhome but found after about every 3 or 4 months we needed a little more space, so initialliy stayed with friends or relatives for a week or two as we had sold our house.

Our ideal solution was to buy a 26m barge with enormous accomodation, use it as a houseboat and ventured forth on our MH adventures from there. The every 3 to 4 month need for a bit more space still occurred though but we had our expansive apartment on water for when we felt the need.

Think that a Romahome is brilliant, and in particular if you want to make a long long trip without too much cost or bother, but spending months in such a small space would be difficult I think... but there are advantages.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have looked at a lot of different Romahomes at Shepton Mallet show. The lastest with shower and all facilities looks great, but , never had any motorhome so can't tell the cons, and I am only 1,48 tall :Blush: can fit anywhere indeed::bigsmile:

Whatever you're doing , I am sure that you will be given good advices , but above all... you'll find careful friends, who will cheer you up a bit eventually .....

Bienvenue:Smile::Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello Alan
I also started out looking at the very small vans, thinking there' just me and 2 dogs. After advice on here I realised a small van would be too small. Best advice I was given here was, imagine it's an really awful day, wind, rain, can't go out for a day---is there enough space to prevent cabin fever? You also need more storage space than you firt think.
Sue & Norman's motorhome looks perfect to me--I really covet it but I live in France :Sad:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Alan,
Welcome to The Fun. I commend your plan of buying a motorhome for you and your dog, but like others I believe you will very soon find the Romahome just too small for comfort. There are days when you don't want to go out and the weather is too lousy to sit out. It is at times like these that having the room to entertain a friend or two for a couple of hours gossip and coffee in warm and comfortable surroundings will be much welcomed. :Smile:

Peter's suggestion of having a look at Norman and Sue's Ravenna is a good one. I don't know their actual van but Mrs. JayDee and I have spent a few pleasant hours in the company of Pam and Brian (Brisey) in their Ravenna which we found to have plenty of room and it is also quite a pleasant vehicle on the road.

We owned an Autosleeper Amethyst (1995 model) - same size but different layout from Brisey's - for a while and found it nice and roomy and cosy. For us the only disadvantage was having to make up the bed each night and put it back again in the morning, but that's just us and will be the same (I suspect) in the Romahome.

In the end, of course, the final choice will be yours, but a rule of thumb says that it takes three motorhomes before you get the one you like. Hopefully this discussion will reduce that to (with a bit of luck) one.

All the best.

John

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Alan welcome to the fun. The Romahome is great for the odd weekend away. But for a longer period of time you need to store more clothes, food, books, computer, TV, BBQ, extra bedding, someplace you won't be tripping over the dog etc etc so please think again about such a small space. A number of rromahomes have a shelf above the window that tends to catch your head when sitting back so you end up reclining all the time. So do watch out for that one. The Romahome will also carry less water and waste. If you intend using sites all the time that may not be a problem apart from the inconveinience of filling up and emptying out every day. The ravenna advertised in the Classifieds is an Excellent buy and Norman a reputable funster, he may even help with delivery so don't be put off by the distance.
Broken Link Removed

It is a really excellent price as well.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
And a very warm welcome from me too :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Alan and welcome to Fun, can't add a lot to the replies you have received already, but whatever you decide welcome to a wonderful way of life.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Alan,Just posted this on another thread but it is relevant to you
------------------------------------------------------
go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want :thumb: ----------------------------------------------------------
We found it very useful to be able to use the kitchen (tea coffee)and loo while the bed is up so that if you need the loo you can hop out of bed and back into it :thumb: A small PVC may give you this and extra room for longer trips
terry

OP
OP
M

Mollyandme

Free Member
Dec 15, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Don' own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you

Hi

Just to say 'Thank You' for all those that kindly welcomed me and gave advice. I will let you know how I get on over the next few months as I look for the right motorhome.

Merry Christmas,

Regards

Alan

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Alan,
I promise I have not paid for all the "pressure selling" you have been subjected reagrding my motorhome. I didn't know I had so many friends I have never met, but it just goes to show what a great and friendly site this is.

Whatever motorhome you decide to buy I hope you buy the right one for you - it is said you never buy the right motorhome first time and that may be true but with all the sound advice you have received on this thread you should certainly be very close.

But whatever motorhome you choose I know you will have a great adventure with yourself and Molly travelling around.

Norman

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome..!!!

YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER VAN... Motorhome travel can be very sociable if you want it to be, rallies, meets and general touring. Once you start meeting your new crowd of friends we all need somewhere to go at sit, chat and enjoy... ::bigsmile:

Seriously have a good look around first at lots of van layouts and ask any questions here on the forum, that way you will get good advise off people who are actually using motorhomes..

Good luck..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello Alan, Welcome and please do keep your promise to yourself to buy a mh or caravan or whatever. There are several of us single with dog people (but sadly just lost mine) around and it is always lovely to meet with others. We help each other and make the meets less lonely .... several of us going around together.... Thinking of you through Christmas and all the memories it will bring. Joy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back