Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I am due to pick up my new (to me) 2004 Hymer Exsis this week.
It is fitted with a Phantom Tracker, which has been kept on subscription (£100 p.a.).
It is obviously well monitored, as the current owner was telephone by the company 5 minutes after he disconnected his battery to fit a new one.

My question is whether it is worth keeping the subscription up, as the van is obviously no longer a prime target due to it's age, and should have a factory fitted immobilisor?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The vehicle age is not a deterrent to the thieving scroats, they will take anything.....I'd keep it up and maybe see if it would be worth getting a life subscription

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
I paid £290 for 5 years cover,I'd phone phantom up if you decide to keep it.
I'ts worth it no matter what age your motorhome is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The vehicle age is not a deterrent to the [HI]thieving scroats, they will take anything..[/HI]...I'd keep it up and maybe see if it would be worth getting a life subscription

Yup, they would pinch the steam off your Poo:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
current subscription rate...

Is there a subscription cost?

Yes, the subscription cost is competitively priced at either £99 per year or £349 for a five-year subscription. After the subscription period has ended you can either pay the same again or signup to our £8.99 monthly direct debit.

you may never need it but with an average recovery time of just 70 minutes its unlikely it will be stripped or damaged if it does get stolen.

older motorhomes may well be prime targets for 'hard to find' spare habitation parts

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We also have a 2004 Hymer Exsis, we love it. We take care to lock it properly and even put a strap between our front doors when we are in Barcelona (home of thieves). Your tracker will only be of use to you once your vehicle has actually been stolen. I'd spend the money on other security devices that stop it getting stolen in the first place.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Ask yourself if you would consider keeping it say, 6 years - would £600 be worthwhile spending on protecting that investment, and the funds you have put into it?

Age is irrelevent to theives, it is still worth alot when they have nothing! You certainly wouldn't give a stranger the value in cash, so why give them the chance?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We considered having one fitted

When we first got our RV we did consider having a tracker fitted. But decided in the end to have a proper alarm and immobiliser fitted. Although we had the original Ford system on the E350 chassis our insurance company -Safeguard- required us to have a thatcham immobiliser fitted (VanBitz) did the job. We decided to get the Strikeback alarm system installed. considering that after the first 2 years we pay an annual inspection fee incase the system has a fault. so we still pay on going, but it is a case you pay your money and make your own mind up.

For me the alarm gave me the prevent rather than react situation. If they cannot steal it then it does not need to be recovered.

Bob

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Age is irrelevent to theives, it is still worth alot when they have nothing!

Not strictly true! Modern immobilisation devices make newer vehicle much harder to steal so an increase in older vehicle theft has occurred.

When I was a fresh faced slim youth in 1999 Van Bitz were asked to break in and hotwire a Compass Drifter motorhome. The we did it in I believe 19 seconds:Eeek:

There have been several discussions about revisiting the feature, which we always decline as a couple of hours isn't as impressive:roflmto:

Eddie

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
CCannot think of you being young once Eddie

Not strictly true! Modern immobilisation devices make newer vehicle much harder to steal so an increase in older vehicle theft has occurred.

When I was a fresh faced slim youth in 1999 Van Bitz were asked to break in and hotwire a Compass Drifter motorhome. The we did it in I believe 19 seconds:Eeek:

There have been several discussions about revisiting the feature, which we always decline as a couple of hours isn't as impressive:roflmto:

Eddie

The thought of you being a fresh faced SLIM youth makes my head spin Eddie.. oh to have memories.. better than a mirror:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004

Eddie

When you say "older vehicles", I understood that a 2004 Fiat is fitted with an iimmobiliser to stop it going anywhere without a key!
Or am I mistaken?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When you say "older vehicles", I understood that a 2004 Fiat is fitted with an iimmobiliser to stop it going anywhere without a key!
Or am I mistaken?
Yes and no

Yes anything after manufactured after 1997 was supposed to have a factory fitted immobiliser. However, the chassis is often 18 months older than the registration date, so some components even older again.

The earlier immobilisers were fairly easy to remove/disable.

In fact we have a "crib" sheet that we will email to people when the Fiat CODE immobiliser fails and Fiat want circa £700 to replace, subject them emailing me a copy of their V5:roflmto:

So to sum up the newer the chassis (not motorhome) the better the immobiliser

Eddie

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Personally, I think Phantom is WELL worth the money and wouldn't be without it.
It's about a much peace of mind as you can get these days (NOTHING is unbeatable) and they're good people to deal with. They're ALWAYS on the phone within seconds if I set mine off by mistake and phoned us down in the Ardeche last year when I did just that.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally, I think Phantom is WELL worth the money and wouldn't be without it.
It's about a much peace of mind as you can get these days (NOTHING is unbeatable) and they're good people to deal with. They're ALWAYS on the phone within seconds if I set mine off by mistake and phoned us down in the Ardeche last year when I did just that.

I agree Phantom is a good system and Mark Cheater the MD and I are good mates.

He would recommend us and we them, so buy where convenient and to take advantage of what offers and packages are available at the time

Eddie

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
We also have a 2004 Hymer Exsis, we love it. We take care to lock it properly and even put a strap between our front doors when we are in Barcelona (home of thieves). Your tracker will only be of use to you once your vehicle has actually been stolen. I'd spend the money on other security devices that stop it getting stolen in the first place.

There is nothing tat will stop a vehicle being stolen....you will only slow the thieves down......A tracker can lead to the recovery of your Vehicle very quickly........but hopefully you will never need it.

All the best Rick

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Hi,

You may want to check with Tracker that you can transfer the subscription.

Before converting to a motorhome I had a Bailly caravan with an alarm and tracker fitted.
They wanted £99 per year subscription or £199 for life of the caravan.

I took the life option, but when i came to sell the caravan I could not transfer the subscription to the new owner, nor would they give me a refund on the life subscription ( I had had the van only for 8 months before going the motorhome route!)

Hope this helps

Cheers

bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

You may want to check with Tracker that you can transfer the subscription.

Before converting to a motorhome I had a Bailly caravan with an alarm and tracker fitted.
They wanted £99 per year subscription or £199 for life of the caravan.

I took the life option, but when i came to sell the caravan I could not transfer the subscription to the new owner, nor would they give me a refund on the life subscription ( I had had the van only for 8 months before going the motorhome route!)

Hope this helps

Cheers

bob

You are correct.
The subscription dies with the transfer to a new owner, as I have just found out. I have to pay £99 despite there being 6 months left on the current subscription.
Nice work if you can get it !!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree Phantom is a good system and Mark Cheater the MD and I are good mates.

He would recommend us and we them, so buy where convenient and to take advantage of what offers and packages are available at the time

Eddie
nice to see there's no animosity and back-biting between rival companies...well done Eddy :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back