Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Do not panic , not the usual A Frame rant!
Earlier this year we where hooking up our Fiat Pander toad, usual way, wife drives toad, I hold ball hitch and guide it onto the ball. A gent came over telling me he had made a strap to support the A frame so he could position the toad on his own, also handy when your stuck and have to unhitch to move the toad,good idea I thought. So its easy to hook a strap onto the A Frame (ours is a Chris Cox weighing 20KG) but where do you attach it to the car? Has anyone else fitted one of these?.I have considered a jockey wheel as fitted to some other makes , but I don't think the frame we have lends itself to this.:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Best I have ever seen was a highly technical bit of kit..
A couple of supermarket cardboard tomato trays ! Chap just rested the frame on the box's, reversed up and job done... Boxes went back in the locker.
No weight to speak of at all and can be stored on the floor full of bits and bobs when not needed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Seems a bit complicated. I can hitch mine on my own easily because I have fitted a jockey wheel. The mounting holes were already there (car-a-tow) and I think the jockey wheel was £11. It means the Toad can be driven short distances round a site with the A-Frame attached. Just drive up to the back of the van and pop out to drop the hitch onto the ball, takes seconds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had a jockey wheel on mine

Attachments

• Billing meet Nov 08 008.jpg
    Billing meet Nov 08 008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 107

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Jockey wheel but no mudguards on the van Jon::bigsmile:

Broken Link Removed

i was waiting for it, car in camaflage:winky::winky::winky:

A Roads out a Wales to crappy Billing aquadrome:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
I have an easy option, well for me.:Smile:
I have put a white tipex mark on the centre of my rear view camera screen, and my wife reverses the van keeping the centre of the a frame in the centre of the screen dead on the tipex mark, works every time all I then do is lift the a frame tow hitchl up and usually a tiny movement lets it get secure on the ball.:thumb:

eric 83

Free Member
Jan 6, 2009
leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
30+yrs
We just used a large strong bungy through the frame and hooked the ends over the bonnet of the car,easy peasy.:thumb:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I use the breakaway cable attached to a shaped plate. It hooks around the rear edge of the bonnet and supports the a frame at about 45 degerees. The hook part has been plastic coated so no damage to the bonnet and is wide enough to distribute the weight. Has worked a treat for me. I can hitch up on my own and getting out of trouble (twice thanks to sat nav) has been a doddle; literally 10 mins for a complete turn around.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
like nearlyretired and roadrunner, i had a jockey wheel.
no problems moving on site, even if a little rattly on gravel due to a solid tyre rather than pneumatic.

dead easy to line up on towball then just wind up the wheel.

cost around £17 c/w jockey wheel clamp for A frame.

if you still want a strap then any cheap ratchet strap from a Sunday market etc will do.
simply hook one end to the pointy end of the A frame and the other to the spindle end of a wiper arm or rear of bonnet and adjust to length.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back