North east England tour (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
This year England and abroad next but I’m planning a north east tour for October or November of about 2 weeks . On my list - Berwick , bramburgh , Whitby , York , Durham , holy island , and a few stops along the way - any other must do I should consider ? - into cultural , history and views

Thanks in anticipation

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Roman Wall, the eastern end of it has lots of places to see although it's actually only about 70 miles long. Maybe checkout National Trust and English Heritage sites - you don't have to be a member to visit them but it's cheaper.

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
You've chosen some good places so I would recommend you walk about and talk with the natives. You'll soon understand the culture and you'll find it differs in the places you visit. The culture will help you understand the history. Explore rather than visit museums etc which have the info on boards (curators in small museums are often wonderfully talkative people); work out the history and what it means to you. Views are what you imagine not what you see.

We've been touring this way for about 15 years. Communicating with the locals changes what you think and what you see. Looking at artefacts probably won't.

Have a wonderful time when you go however you tour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We loved the beaches and coast path walks. All the places mentioned above plus Robin Hoods Bay and Flamborough Head for the puffins. However in October/November your enjoyment may be tempered by the weather lucky/unlucky. Alnwick Rugby club was a good stop and I think the hardstanding EHU pitches will be available year round.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We loved the beaches and coast path walks. All the places mentioned above plus Robin Hoods Bay and Flamborough Head for the puffins. However in October/November your enjoyment may be tempered by the weather lucky/unlucky. Alnwick Rugby club was a good stop and I think the hardstanding EHU pitches will be available year round.
Yes think we will stay at the club for the castle

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Don’t miss Beamish open air museum. Live replica of life in the north east mainly at the turn of the last century. Amazing.

Holy island is amazing and a place of pilgrimage for Christian’s.

Alnwick castle and gardens are fab

Of course there are also bamburgh castle etc and Cragside house just outside of Rothbury. The first stately home lite by electric

Be prepared to put a pair of trousers on instead of shorts and a maybe a long sleeved shirt as it will be a bit nippy then. Well for anyone other than native as it’s still t shirt and shorts till maybe January when it gets to -10. 😂😂😂

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You must visit Craster for some smoked kippers, beautiful. There's a campsite there and a regular bus service to Alnwick, Morpeth, Seahouses, Berwick plus most of the area.
You don't need a passport to visit the North East now.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
You must visit Craster for some smoked kippers, beautiful. There's a campsite there and a regular bus service to Alnwick, Morpeth, Seahouses, Berwick plus most of the area.
That’s true we welcome all foreigners. Even those from the south nowadays 😂😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Which campsite is that ? Sounds like a great idea and I luvvvvv kippers

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Belford has a nice campsite and lovely friendly dog friendly pubs especially Black Swan. The village coffee shop been rated second best in Northumberland. Sunny hills next to campsite good for food. I wondered why I moved.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Yes think we will stay at the club for the castle
We had 2 nights at the rugby club this week, £15 per night, plus £5 if you want hook up. A great money maker for the club there were 40-50 vans, caravans and tents on the site.
Speaking to bar staff the bulk of spaces will end in 2-3 weeks when the new rugby season starts.
Limited pitches available for September and possibly October then nothing till end of season.
Would definitely ring and check availability.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
When in Craster, take a walk north along the coast to Dunstanburgh Castle, my favourite place in all England

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If you go to Hulne Park in Alnwick there is Brizelee tower from which you can see 12 castles, the coast, the Cheviots and lots more.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
The market on the Metro station at Tynemouth at the weekend

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We recently managed five days on the Hadrians wall starting at Corbridge. We only needed a site for one night and used our National Trust and English Heritage membership so it was a cheap trip.
As other have said the list is endless when it comes to the N/E. Theres a lot inland as well as the coast.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
All of the above. Best fish and chips from Fish Quay at North Shields which is still a working port. Watch the surfers at Tynemouth. Do go inland and wander. Try the Northumberland National Park and Kielder Water and Forest. Great time for star gazing Englands darkest sky, there’s an observatory at Kielder. Bellingham C&CC is a good base for that.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Belford has a nice campsite and lovely friendly dog friendly pubs especially Black Swan. The village coffee shop been rated second best in Northumberland. Sunny hills next to campsite good for food. I wondered why I moved.
We were in there yesterday! I had a lovely cheese scone and slice of coffee cake, David had 2 slices of Florentine. (y)

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are currently staying on a THS at Beadnell; Northumberland is my favourite county. I think most of the main places have already been mentioned but on a smaller scale we also like the Coquetdale Art Gallery in Rothbury - many different styles of work by local artists. In Alnwick we like the Lions charity bookshop. Barter Books is the well known secondhand bookshop there but we much prefer browsing in the Lions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
We recently managed five days on the Hadrians wall starting at Corbridge. We only needed a site for one night and used our National Trust and English Heritage membership so it was a cheap trip.
As other have said the list is endless when it comes to the N/E. Theres a lot inland as well as the coast.
Where did you camp when not on site ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back