Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
I have a Winnebago LeSharo, based on a 1985 Renault trafic cab and engine etc.
Now here is my dilemma, I have only just realised there is no reversing light, are they hard to install? Also where is best place to get one?
I suppose that I could add a light with a white lens and use a switch in the cab for when I am reversing, would that be feasible?

Thanks
Mark

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
In the days of my youth when you were able to fix most cars with a spanner and a hammer, that's what we did when we fixed a reversing lamp.
Wired up a light with an independant switch. Whether it would be legal or not is a different matter as it is illegal to drive (forwards) showing a white light at the rear. It maybe the "law" will require the light to be switched off automatically; in that case though fixing a separate light and switch might be easy it would not be legal.

Others will tell you.

Norman

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
no requirement under mot or lighting regulations for reversing lights to
be fitted. If fitted as an option no requirement for them to be operated by
selecting reverse, so a switch on dash is fine( though i would suggest a warning
light is essential ) to avoid falling foul of the law as Norman has pointed out re
driving forward whilst showing white light to rear. It is normal for them to use a
21watt bulb.
plenty available for less than £10 on e bay
hope this helps

regards
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Construction and Use regulations re fitting of reversing lights

SCHEDULE 14
requirements relating to optional reversing lamps

1. Number: Not more than two

2. Position: No requirement

3. Angles of visibility: No requirement

4. Alignment: To the rear

5. Markings–

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985:An approval mark

(b) A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985: No requirement

6. Size of illuminated area: No requirement

7. Colour: White

8. Wattage–

(a) A reversing lamp bearing an approval mark: No requirement

(b) A reversing lamp not bearing an approval mark:

The total wattage of any one reversing lamp shall not exceed 24 watts

9. Intensity: No requirement

10. Electrical connections: No requirement

11. Tell-tale–

(a) A motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954, provided that the electrical connections are such that the reversing lamp or lamps cannot be illuminated other than automatically by the selection of the reverse gear of the vehicle:
No requirement

(b) Any other motor vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1954:
A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted

(c) A motor vehicle first used before 1st July 1954:

No requirement

(d) Any vehicle which is not a motor vehicle:

No requirement

12. Definitions–

In this Schedule “approval mark” means either–
(a) a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 21 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations; or

(b) a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 23 or 23A of Schedule 2 to those Regulations

Interesting point although the reversing lamps are not tested under the current mot test if fitted they must work and it will be a offence under the construction and use regulations if they do not

Hope this helps :Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Now here is my dilemma, I have only just realised there is no reversing light, are they hard to install? Also where is best place to get one?
I suppose that I could add a light with a white lens and use a switch in the cab for when I am reversing, would that be feasible?

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,I would have thought that there is a good possibility that Renault fitted a reversing light as standard for the base vehicle if being used as a delivery type van.

If this is the case then the parts should be readily available from Renault to fit one with a switch on the gearbox. You would most likely need an after market rear lamp as the Renault one may not fit the m/h conversion.

It is worth checking if a switch is already fitted on your gearbox but has just not been connected by Winnebago.

Brian

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
It's quite likely your indicators are using the reversing lamp section of the rear light cluster, a not uncommon 'fix' for the indicators over here. If this is the case a couple of options, have a rumage around the light cluster areas for a lose/disconnected wire and test when in reverse, good likely hood of one lurking about.

Alternatly, check for a towing connector, you may not have an obvious one but there is a good chance there will be a wireing point somewhere around the back centre (ish) of the van. If you have, chances are there will be a revears feed in there, it's highly unlikly the base (renault) van doesn't have revers as Brian said:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Thanks
Mark
not a good idea as if you forget to turn it off you will be driving legally showing white light at the rear
and could be stopped and find for it plus it would fail the MOT if done that way

OP
OP
Madmark62

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
not a good idea as if you forget to turn it off you will be driving legally showing white light at the rear
and could be stopped and find for it plus it would fail the MOT if done that way

Why would it fail the MOT ? If they are not tested in the MOT !
I understand about the driving with the white light though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yep, perfectly legal and easy to do, but as Bigmillie mentions a warning light is a legal requirement

If you go to Halfrauds you can get a lamp, a length of wire and a switch that has an internal warning bulb in it for about £25 the lot..

But also as mentioned it is not a legal requirement to have a reversing light nor is it an MOT failure if you do not have one fitted on your van

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as previously posted by \brian (icantremember) the reverse light is niether a compulsory or an MOT item but must have a dashboard telltale indicator if fitted with a manual switch.

as dodgy said, the switch and wiring will most probably still be intact with just the lamp either not there or being used for another purpose.
no reason for the switch to be removed, only for it to be replaced by a bung.

my RV has a cheap aftermarket reverse light fitted to the rear skirt and is gearbox controlled.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
reverse/work light

I have always fitted extra reverse/work lights as i think i should be able to see where i am going backwards as well as i do going forward.

I usuall fit a pair of fog lights (55 watt halogen in each) to the rear. these are switched seperatly from the reverse light with no warning on the dashboard.
I have never been pulled for having too many white lights facing backwards and never had any issues with mot for not having the switch illuminated.

Also on a previous vehicle of Lynnes the reverse light never did work after a gearbox change.
Not a legal requirment for the lights to work even if fitted.

Cheyne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back