Cooking without an oven (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Another vote for the Remoska, but for us only on EHU, we happily cook a pizza on our little tabletop Cadac...but not in an enclosed space!

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Our old camper didn’t have an oven.
We had an halogen oven and thought it was crap. Photo on the box of a chicken looking lovely but ours were always anaemic looking when it came out. Plus it took up so much room for storage. We stopped taking it in the end and sold it.
We’ve tried a slow cooker which was good but needs prep & pre planning.
We stick with the bbq now. Although our current van has an oven, so we’ve options now.
You can buy a mini electric oven with single shelf - some have an electric hot plate on top.

Committed

Free Member
Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Another vote for the ridge monkey, fabulous piece of kit, we have also just purchased a Cobb, and looking forward to trying it out this weekend..Cannot wait,

John
Because I am on a gluten free diet it means bread has to be freshened or toasted. When we are not on electric to use our microwave it meant using the grill so I bought a Ridgemonkey and am very happy with it. Just set it on gas ring and in a minute you have toasted or fresh bread depending on how long you keep it on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Weber Q1200 gas BBQ and can and do use it as an oven. Have roasted meat, potatoes and veg, cooked chicken portions, and cooked frozen pizzas, chips and breaded fish. Just need to use the correct tools, keep the lid down keep an eye on the thermometer while cooking it low and slow.

himandme

Free Member
Aug 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Hi All,

I have posted before about the issue of not having an oven in the MH and received some great suggestions from you all. We did purchase a small combi Oven and Grill from Lidl but find it a bit bulky. Two other options I am thinking of are: firstly an Omnia set up, secondly a Halogen oven. The omnia of course can be used if not on hook up so is perhaps more versatile but looks a bit fiddly and expensive for what it is when you have to buy all the bits, the Halogen seems like a big slow cooker but needs electric. Really all I want to do is perhaps cook a few chicken portions, some part baked rolls or warm up the odd frozen pizza. WE do take a barbie with us. Would any of you recommend either of these. Perhaps I should just go on cooking strike and insist we go out more.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards All

Helen
We don’t have an oven on our Adria. I tried halogen oven it’s now in the loft. Use slow cooker in the winter. But honestly we just eat his we can I can boiled baked spuds for about 15/20 mins then spray with oil cover in tin foil and finish on the bbq. We have a cadac bbq and bought the roasting tin so we’ve cooked Christmas dinner on that. Pizza from a cafe cooked by them. You just have to adapt.

Aug 24, 2017
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690
Exp
25 years
How does anyone manage without an oven and grill? We use ours every day and put it in ourselves, taking cupboard volume out. Each to his/her own.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have a Remoska, but we use it home more than the van as we dont stay on EHU campsites very often these days.
I have considered a Ridge Monkey, however whether at home or in the van a Tefal Saute Pan with Glass lid does everything we need most of the time. We have 2 pans at home, as I cant bring myself to throw away the older one....Yet!
The newer ones are also ideal for induction hobs, and for a few quid more you can even get them is Stainless Steel.
Yes we have the tech tower oven, but that gets used as a bread bin, or for keeping something warm when batch cooking.
Get yourselves one of these, but I guess many already use them or very similar. (y)
Plus of course The Weber Q1200 BBQ, ours is without the stand as I am a tight bugger!
LES
Amazon product ASIN B08T6DFN3Q

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
We have a microwave in our VW but rarely use hook up... so I ordered a double skillet.

My wife took one look at it and wanted to throw it in the bin.

But I pursueded her to try it once, and now she's hooked. Even uses it at home!

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Even when we had an oven we never used it. We use a remoska and a small George Foreman grill.
I cook bread, either from a ready mix, or soda bread, in the remoska.
The majority of our meals are cooked easily on the two gas rings, in fact.
We mainly eat in the van, and have “proper” meals. Just think of all the pasta and rice meals that you can do. If you are able to eat curries and chilles, which we are not, it’s really easy.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Remoska, but we use it home more than the van as we dont stay on EHU campsites very often these days.
I have considered a Ridge Monkey, however whether at home or in the van a Tefal Saute Pan with Glass lid does everything we need most of the time. We have 2 pans at home, as I cant bring myself to throw away the older one....Yet!
The newer ones are also ideal for induction hobs, and for a few quid more you can even get them is Stainless Steel.
Yes we have the tech tower oven, but that gets used as a bread bin, or for keeping something warm when batch cooking.
Get yourselves one of these, but I guess many already use them or very similar. (y)
Plus of course The Weber Q1200 BBQ, ours is without the stand as I am a tight bugger!
LES
Amazon product ASIN B08T6DFN3Q
I've got a stainless steel saute pan which I've had for over 20 years, same as part of a set with a pressure cooker. Both the glass lid and the pressure cooker lid can be used interchangeably. I use the saute pan all the time at home but also take it away in the motorhome with both lids in the winter. Use it mainly as a pressure cooker in the van and as a saute pan at home! Brilliant piece of kit.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just wondering...Is the Double Skillet Pan some of you have referred to the same as the one sold by the Two Ladies at Campervan shows? As shown on YT link below.
If it is, Its a two piece aluminium frying pan that can be used seperately or hinged together, as an oven, and has a glass lid also? £40 for the large, £35 for the smaller one.
Looks good, wish it was SS though, we are trying to replace all our Ali Stuff with SS when possible.
Thanks
LES

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Mr D's 3ltr thermal cooker, a big thermos flask really, I even made a stupendous carrot cake, the wife says better than hers.

In the morning start your meal, put your preperation for your meal boiling into cooker, sit the cooker int the motorhome sink, drive to site, come tea time a piping hot cooked meal ..no power needed other than to heat and boil in tbe prep stage.

The meals you can make are varied not just stews and curries, it does lovely crispy jacket potatoes.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi All,

I have posted before about the issue of not having an oven in the MH and received some great suggestions from you all. We did purchase a small combi Oven and Grill from Lidl but find it a bit bulky. Two other options I am thinking of are: firstly an Omnia set up, secondly a Halogen oven. The omnia of course can be used if not on hook up so is perhaps more versatile but looks a bit fiddly and expensive for what it is when you have to buy all the bits, the Halogen seems like a big slow cooker but needs electric. Really all I want to do is perhaps cook a few chicken portions, some part baked rolls or warm up the odd frozen pizza. WE do take a barbie with us. Would any of you recommend either of these. Perhaps I should just go on cooking strike and insist we go out more.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards All

Helen

We have an Omnia it is one of those very simple but oh so clever things, make sure you have the silicone liner and would suggest it is not expensive when considering its versatility, I have baked bread in our made a casserole, warmed rolls and Croissants etc to me its simple compact and works, easy to clean no mess no fuss :)

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
Mr D's 3ltr thermal cooker, a big thermos flask really, I even made a stupendous carrot cake, the wife says better than hers.

In the morning start your meal, put your preperation for your meal boiling into cooker, sit the cooker int the motorhome sink, drive to site, come tea time a piping hot cooked meal ..no power needed other than to heat and boil in tbe prep stage.

The meals you can make are varied not just stews and curries, it does lovely crispy jacket potatoes.
Another vote for Mr D here. Love that it can cook away win a cupboard whilst we travel, and with great results. We're contemplating adding a Remoska and to the armoury to save on gas.

SWW

Oct 12, 2010
Funster No
We have had 3 adria twins and have not really missed an oven except for baking partially baked rolls and warming croissants. Our daughter gave us an omnia and it is a brilliant piece of kit. it is very light in weight. It does seems a lot to pay but it works well. I even cooked a cake with my grandson. I also take a small pressure cooker for curries, chilli etc. We were given a cobb which cooks well and is great for long trips to europe for cooking outside but it is large and heavy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back