Compressor Replacement for Dometic RMDT 8505 Tec Tower Fridge Freezer Oven (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We are getting rid of our 12 year old Tec Tower which has been giving us grief for a while not to mention the top oven and the door.
Currently looking at Thetford units which will be direct replacements including a top oven.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/fridges/thetford/t2160-12v-compressor-fridge-freezer-for-campers-motorhomes

We have plenty of solar and batteries to run the Fridge on 12v, but would like any advice from Funsters who have either of these units installed.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We are getting rid of our 12 year old Tec Tower which has been giving us grief for a while not to mention the top oven and the door.
Currently looking at Thetford units which will be direct replacements including a top oven.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/fridges/thetford/t2160-12v-compressor-fridge-freezer-for-campers-motorhomes

We have plenty of solar and batteries to run the Fridge on 12v, but would like any advice from Funsters who have either of these units installed.
We have both a Thetford 3142 fridge and a Duplex oven and grill.
We had them for two hard years without any problems.
A revelation after all the grief we have suffered with Dometic crap in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Holroyde1

Free Member
Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
dethleffs fortero
Hi sheddy, you don't still have the door for the oven do you on the Dometic Tec Tower? Mine has just recently shattered.

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Hi sheddy, you don't still have the door for the oven do you on the Dometic Tec Tower? Mine has just recently shattered.
Yes I do, but sorry it's not available for spares, the complete tec tower is still in working order and stored, I will probably bench test it sometime and maybe sell it but not until we've had a while with the new units.
Cheers Ed

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Yes I do, but sorry it's not available for spares, the complete tec tower is still in working order and stored, I will probably bench test it sometime and maybe sell it but not until we've had a while with the new units.
Cheers Ed
Do you have pics of the new install? Although we have no probs with the fridge we hate the top oven with a passion👍

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Do you have pics of the new install? Although we have no probs with the fridge we hate the top oven with a passion👍
The install by the dealer was poor and that is being nice I am currently refitting both units and waiting for parts to finish it, when done I will definitely post pictures. Here is one as an example of what to expect from a Thetford approved agent.
IMG_20220730_175326.jpg

The new 12v supply fuse. It did have a tie wrap holding the fuse in !!!!
Cheers
Ed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The install by the dealer was poor and that is being nice I am currently refitting both units and waiting for parts to finish it, when done I will definitely post pictures. Here is one as an example of what to expect from a Thetford approved agent.
View attachment 648487
The new 12v supply fuse. It did have a tie wrap holding the fuse in !!!!
Cheers
Ed
Never trust a job to a professional you can do yourself.:giggle:

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Never trust a job to a professional you can do yourself.:giggle:
Absolutely, but because the oven is gas I was thinking about gas Safe and insurance. If I was doing it again I'd do it and get a test / inspection afterwards.
An interesting point, Thetford have not yet provided installation instructions for a gas oven on top of a compressor fridge.

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

IMG_20220805_180031.jpg

I have now refitted both units, the agent fitted them with the fridge protruding out by about 50mm and the oven set back on a visible 12mm ply panel it was a mess. The oven is slightly lower than the Tec Tower. We used the fridge freezer while away in Germany a few weeks ago it performed very well in the 40°C weather. Cheers Ed

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
View attachment 649464
I have now refitted both units, the agent fitted them with the fridge protruding out by about 50mm and the oven set back on a visible 12mm ply panel it was a mess. The oven is slightly lower than the Tec Tower. We used the fridge freezer while away in Germany a few weeks ago it performed very well in the 40°C weather. Cheers Ed
Sorry for the thread revival but rather than start another one....
We have a Tec Tower in our Carthago C-Tourer and the fridge 'is doing my head in".... whenever it is warm it has a mind of it's own, sometimes it works just fine and other times it just stays less than cold enough. So I am either buying a stand alone small compressor fridge for the floor locker or swopping the lot out for the T2160 FF and the Spinflo 525 Oven.
However we are very tight on height space so would you mind measuring the total height when fitted of the FF & Oven please Sheddy
Before I spend a significant amount of time and money I need to make sure it will fit.
Happy to have any other recommendations for a Tec Tower replacement but we do use the oven so we need one on top of the FF.
Ta

OP
OP
Sheddy
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry for the thread revival but rather than start another one....
We have a Tec Tower in our Carthago C-Tourer and the fridge 'is doing my head in".... whenever it is warm it has a mind of it's own, sometimes it works just fine and other times it just stays less than cold enough. So I am either buying a stand alone small compressor fridge for the floor locker or swopping the lot out for the T2160 FF and the Spinflo 525 Oven.
However we are very tight on height space so would you mind measuring the total height when fitted of the FF & Oven please Sheddy
Before I spend a significant amount of time and money I need to make sure it will fit.
Happy to have any other recommendations for a Tec Tower replacement but we do use the oven so we need one on top of the FF.
Ta
1610 mm total height that incudes a 3mm sealed gap between fridge top and oven. The oven is fitted self supporting so that fridge can be removed separately. Working well here in the French heat with plenty of cold refreshments. (y) :cool:
Cheers

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
1610 mm total height that incudes a 3mm sealed gap between fridge top and oven. The oven is fitted self supporting so that fridge can be removed separately. Working well here in the French heat with plenty of cold refreshments. (y) :cool:
Cheers
Many thanks for the info, will measure it up now.
Enjoy the French "refreshments". 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back