Apr 6, 2017
Coventry
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2013
Hi All,

I have posted before about the issue of not having an oven in the MH and received some great suggestions from you all. We did purchase a small combi Oven and Grill from Lidl but find it a bit bulky. Two other options I am thinking of are: firstly an Omnia set up, secondly a Halogen oven. The omnia of course can be used if not on hook up so is perhaps more versatile but looks a bit fiddly and expensive for what it is when you have to buy all the bits, the Halogen seems like a big slow cooker but needs electric. Really all I want to do is perhaps cook a few chicken portions, some part baked rolls or warm up the odd frozen pizza. WE do take a barbie with us. Would any of you recommend either of these. Perhaps I should just go on cooking strike and insist we go out more.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards All

Helen

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Roadpro used to do a 12v slow cooker, we picked one up brand new from a charity shop for £5 and its brill! (for two)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We couldn't manage without a gas oven /grill.
We had to have one specially fitted in our new van and well worth loosing some cupboard space.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
A dutch oven is good you put it on gas hob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
EE56B195-FD18-4FAB-A1F7-A71A18E2F424.png

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Another vote for Ridgemonkey range. Excellent for anything that needs crisping up as well. Oven chips etc. used it for chicken, sausage, pies the lot. Also packs into very small space. The only issue is that it restricts you to only using one gas ring at a time as overlaps. I just have the XL I think. Plenty big enough for 2 chicken joints. Also good for Giant crumpets and excellent toasties.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've had no oven or grill in our Hymer for the last 17 years, in all that time there is nothing I have not been able to cook in my skillet from a joint of meat and roast potatoes to heating pies up as good as any oven with a simple Heat Defuser underneath the skillet.
You can do toasted sandwiches or Jacket potatoes.
With a simple double skillet.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I Have 2 original skillets large and small mostly use the smaller one.
Pasta light and fluffy not much else I can't cook with it.
I bought an Omnia copy from our very own Minxy a couple of years back use it for bread a 'polo' loaf does it well.
Both use little gas.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Mum has a halogen oven and uses it daily at home, but it's far too big for her caravan or her previous PVC.
I bought a Remoska earlier this year. I've used it more at home than in the van as I find it awkward to use in the van, with the extremely hot lid rather a liability in a van as small as mine. I may take it with me when on EHU, depending on the trip, but I've made practically all my meals in the van just using the two ring hob. And frequently only using one ring.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Get a Remoska grande you can get a large pizza in and they are great you can cook most things with it 😊👍
Cheers for that. I haven't tried a pizza in mine. I have cooked a full large chicken in just 55 minutes and warmed up pasties, pies and sausage rolls. Also use it to reheat pasta meals and curries I make at home, freeze then take in the van. When not on EHU I reheat the same pre prepared meals in the gas oven in a disposable foil tray, just chuck in the bin after, no washing up (y)

Gina

May 24, 2018
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS +
Exp
Since 2014
Hi All,

I have posted before about the issue of not having an oven in the MH and received some great suggestions from you all. We did purchase a small combi Oven and Grill from Lidl but find it a bit bulky. Two other options I am thinking of are: firstly an Omnia set up, secondly a Halogen oven. The omnia of course can be used if not on hook up so is perhaps more versatile but looks a bit fiddly and expensive for what it is when you have to buy all the bits, the Halogen seems like a big slow cooker but needs electric. Really all I want to do is perhaps cook a few chicken portions, some part baked rolls or warm up the odd frozen pizza. WE do take a barbie with us. Would any of you recommend either of these. Perhaps I should just go on cooking strike and insist we go out more.

Thanks in anticipation

Regards All

Helen
We use an air frier, covers most cooking.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Still using ours big one 👍OH used to sell them 'party plan' Kitchen Fair I think it was,the saucepans have long since been replaced with Aldis' cast Aluminium ones. Never used the oven in caravan or MH,not put on very often at home either and I havn't starved yet,just a case of adapting the way you cook and what you eat.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
On hookup……remoska
off grid …double skillet or dutch oven (club i think it from 70’or 80’s lol)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
We OK the wife uses halogen oven some times slow cooker. Microwave and also has a small 2 ring electric hob.
With out going off subject we don't use gas at all. Keep promising our selves to have it taken out

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use my slow cooker a lot - on EH U or via an inverter when traveling. Lidl have a small inverter on sale from Thursday which would be okay for non-sensitive stuff like a basic slow cooker.

I've done baked potatoes, roast chicken and made cake in it. The bread was a failure but I am sure could be mastered with some trial and error.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Hi All,

Thanks in anticipation

Regards All

Helen
We use a Quest 1000watt oven for part baked rolls, etc. The only issue is the temperature control if on full trips the breakers so have to use it at 220c not 250C. Cooked sausages last night no problem. It is small and light

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We had ovens in all our caravans for the past 15 years, and used a handful of times in total. In fact our last one never got used.
2 gas rings, a Cadac and a Ridge Monkey is all we need. As long as you raise things up off the hot surface we often warm through pies and pasties on the Cadac.

Aug 23, 2021
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 04
Exp
1 year
Like “The Heid“ we take our little Ninja air fryer with us. Great for fry ups- just bung in sausages & bacon, maybe a few mushrooms- if you regularly move stuff around you can cook a lot more than the manufacturer suggests! Then eggs in the Ridgemonkey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back