Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you have a new motorhome, later than 2008. Have you got a spare wheel or were you given a puncture repair kit? I know that the weight and space saving is important, but are you happy not to have a spare wheel?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We purchased a spare wheel as I did not feel happy with the puncture repair option.

Thank goodness we had a garage to put it in.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
NO & NO :Angry::cry:

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
NO & NO makes me nervous but nowhere to put a spare unless i overload the garage weight or leave something behind

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No spare and Nwe do have a puncture repair kit, but depends on what happens to the tyre really, doesn't it?

Definitely nowhere to put it, no garage or locker big enough. Grey tank is underneath the back floor, so unless it was mounted across the rear window, there's an end to it.

People have said 'roof' but dunno if that's even possible, plus we'd then have to have a ladder too, and dunno whether Pete could lift a big wheel and tyre up there with one hand? Doubt it frankly !

Just have to do the usual checks and hope for the best.

As my fiance said in 1969 when he and his mates were off to Spain in his dad's Zephyr 6 with the usual full set of bulbs, good spare, First Aid kit, engine properly serviced etc and people were saying you ought to take this and you ought to take that and I wouldn't go all that way without whatever - Well ! - the prop shaft might go halfway across the Pyrenees, mightn't it? - and I sure as Hell ain't taking a spare one of them! :ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Yes I bought a spare Fiat Ducato steel wheel and tyre and it lives in the garage of my Autotrail. The motorhome manufacturers are taking the michael with their puncture repair kits !!!!

( by the way I also have a new 2008 Burstner Elegance Alloy wheel
sitting in by loft....its a long story.......but unfortunately no Burstner van to go with it if anyone is interested pm me)

barry

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Autocruise Sportstar came with a spare slung in a cradle underneath the van. Never checked the pressure in last 12 months but carry a compressor so I can check the pressure before fitting it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fitted as standard on mine with a remote link to check the pressure. No worries about payload or about the back axle weight either. 4 tonne Al-Ko chassis (where is the smug git smiley when you really need it?)

Seriously, it was one of the (albeit secondary) reasons for choosing that particular model. very much in the "nice to have" category

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Do you have a new motorhome, later than 2008. Have you got a spare wheel or were you given a puncture repair kit? I know that the weight and space saving is important, but are you happy not to have a spare wheel?

We have just got a Bessacar E495 with no spare wheel, got the repair kit which is fine if you get a flat but if you get a blow out your up the proverable creek! We are looking into having a spare fitted underneath and are looking at a couple of different kits that will do the job, the Fiat spare wheel mounting is about £300 supply only (then add about 130 for a wheel) but you can get a kit on ebay for about 120 with full fitting instructions, add a wheel and it comes to about 250 all in, thats the theory anyway, will let you know how it goes!:Smile:

Rolling Rolling Rolling Keep Those Doggies Rolling::bigsmile:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had a spare in a cradle underneath our 2005 LMC,but I removed it to install an LPG tank. We then had tyres treated with Sure Seal and toured Europe for 5 mths with no spare and no punctures. Then management decided we should carry a spare so it is under/ bed locker taking up valuable space . it's not been needed in 15,000 miles.
I'm having new tyres tomorrow and am tempted to only change 4,have them treated with Sure Seal,bye one of those repair kits and leave spare at home.
Is it worth the risk ???

Mike.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
No and yes . Decent deal on MH so did not chase for spare to be fitted .Recently though , have considered fitting spare wheel frame kit . Around £105 on e bay for the kit .

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
No spare. Not too sure how I feel about it. I remember the chap who sold us our first MH (which did have a spare) to NEVER consider changing at the roadside - call out a professional to do it. So not having that option does not seem too bad.

I will not dare to talk about the number of punctures I have had in the last 20 years for fear of tempting Providence, but unquestionably tyre construction is stronger nowadays.

Steve

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966

Interesting exclusion on my Britannia breakdown insurance

" Any charges incurred because your vehicle is not carrying a legal or serviceable spare wheel "

We have a spare of course( pre 2008) would not travel without one ::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yes and Yes..... but originally came with just the puncture repair kit, but I added a steel spare under the bed in the garage....

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
AT Tracker 2010 with spare as standard, also have a Ford Fusion 2010 with a repair kit, after a puncture and problems sealing leak I purchased a spare wheel, jack etc from scrap yard. Peace of mind!!!:thumb:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
yes autotrail cherokee with steel spare mounted on rear panel

don't think it helps the traction with the front wheel drive though

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have spare wheel on MH also carry sealant just incase when we bought our new honda last year it came with the sealant kit our could pay about £160 for spare i kept the kit if i break down with flayt i will call the free honda recovery i have :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just incase some of you dont know the kit in my car has a sell by date at 3 years old and cost £75 to renew so might be worth checking your kits

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Got the Ford pump/canister gadget with ours which I'm happy with..............................

.....................until I get a puncture.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back