I think I have a fridge problem (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Here goes,

As far as I'm aware through the wonderful world of google, my dometic RM6401 fridge should not work on 12V unless the engine is running.

What I am finding though is that the internal fridge light stays illuminated when its switched to 12V and the engine off, but as soon as I start the engine the light goes out. I may be wrong but I'm assuming the internal fridge light is a good indication that the fridge is on or off, would this be right?

Many thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My fridge light comes on as soon as I switch the fridge on,but the heating element doesn't start working till the engine is running. Have never checked if the light is on whilst driving as the fridge is at the other end of the camper from the steering wheel.:winky:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
So I can't just set the cruise control and walk to the fridge then...Only joking :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure what van you have but some older British vans (swift for one) disconnect the hab 12v system once the engine is started, which would explain why the light goes out.

turn on a 12v light in the hab area then start the engine....if it goes out then that's the problem solved.

easily disabled if you can find the N/C relay which controls this function.
in my kontiki it was below the wardrobe and found by chance :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The fridge light works on 12v whatever the fridge itself is currently being powered by.

So if the fridge light goes off with the engine running, safe to say the fridge is off. I can see this being a problem.......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So if the fridge light goes off with the engine running, safe to say the fridge is off. I can see this being a problem.......
No....the fridge has a dedicated power supply from the alternator with the engine running, but only to the heating element... nothing else.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
not sure what van you have but some older British vans (swift for one) disconnect the hab 12v system once the engine is started, which would explain why the light goes out.

turn on a 12v light in the hab area then start the engine....if it goes out then that's the problem solved.

easily disabled if you can find the N/C relay which controls this function.
in my kontiki it was below the wardrobe and found by chance :RollEyes:

Haha yes its a swift Kon tiki. When the engine is running, the control panel shuts everything down in the hab area but according to the manual the fridge should still work

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
No....the fridge has a dedicated power supply from the alternator with the engine running, but only to the heating element... nothing else.

Ahh that would make sense then.

I must learn to read and type quicker :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Haha yes its a swift Kon tiki. When the engine is running, the control panel shuts everything down in the hab area but according to the manual the fridge should still work
correct......fridge will draw more than 10amps and would flatten your battery in a few hours so it has its own supply from the engine via a (usually) 30amp relay.
start the engine, the relay triggers, fridge runs, turn off and it deactivates.

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Just followed this thread with interest, and I'm probably going to sound a bit thick, but am I right then that when we pull into a service area for a meal stop and leave the fridge switched to 12v it is actually switched off because the engine is not running?
We have in the past panicked and nipped out to switch it to off fearing that we were draining the battery.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just followed this thread with interest, and I'm probably going to sound a bit thick, but am I right then that when we pull into a service area for a meal stop and leave the fridge switched to 12v it is actually switched off because the engine is not running?
We have in the past panicked and nipped out to switch it to off fearing that we were draining the battery.

Dont worry, It will not drain your battery as the relay has switch the power off when you turned off the ignition.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back