Bosch e bikes anyone *Chipped* one? (1 Viewer)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I am aware of the legalities of using a *chipped* bike on a public highway, its more for the off road use, has anyone used or can recommend a power chip for a Bosch e bike?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Could you explain what chipping a bosch battery is and what it does ?

Cheers (2 x bosch battery bike owner)

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
SpeedBox 3.0 Bosch and Crank Puller, 2020 Version, E-Bike Premium Tuning for All Bosch Engines 2014-2020 basically it overides the 15.5mph limiter so puts nearly 1000w through crank when needed esp off road

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
I question why you think you need it. The limiting factors off-road are rear wheel traction and keeping the front wheel on the ground .... personally I prefer to have the range. I never not had enough ooompf in the highest of my three power settings.
Also the wiring in the bike will be specced for the max amperage at factory settings, may not cope, over time, with more

But to answer your Q, "no". ;)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I'm still in the unconverted and thoroughly grumpy category when it comes to trail riding eMTBs. I've been riding with people that have them to cover for a disability, that they could carry on riding with dodgy knees is great. I'm all for that. But I dislike the way eMTB have chopped up my trails because the massive speed into braking zones, gouged exits because from the acceleration they can manage, and they way I get barged into the bushes on the climbs... only to be held up on the descents because they haven't built the skills to learn to keep momentum. Humph!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As a mountain biker that likes doing Reds at trail centres and things like Cut Gate... at what point is it just a motorbike?
Wonder what the centre think I'm sure they would be clear that illegal adaptations are not covered on jnsurance?

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you

used this for a year so far no problems
Thanks that is what I wanted to know(y)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Wonder what the centre think I'm sure they would be clear that illegal adaptations are not covered on jnsurance?
I think they are only illegal if you use them on the road. It's probably bit of a grey area as to whether they are allowed on to bridleways if they've been modified. And it's pretty hard to enforce too. Trail centres are probably classed as private land and probably have pretty limited liability too. And if you're taking something that's modified, they're probably even less liable if you stack it and try to sue them.

My grumpiness is that eMTBs cause higher wear on the trails. More weight, more speed, more distance covered per visit, less concern about dumping energy as skids. 250w of motor power is already a pretty reasonable output, which is in addition to your own cranking leg power. For me with a reasonable level of fitness, I struggle to sustain 250w for more than a few minutes. So effectively it'd be doubling my power. Is that not enough? If not, I'd argue that it's not really a mountain bike anymore.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just love the anti eBike talk.....they are here, and here to stay....we have 4 eBikes, we are both pensioners but having our bikes maintains our love of the outdoors... especially off road riding....
We have been called cheats....and a few other things....but that matters not....we know what we have achieved in years past, but more importantly what we can achieve now...😄🇪🇦👍

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I have a road Bosch ebike, and also use the Peartune, with no problems. Stops the bloody annoying cutoff at 15-ish-mph.

I know it’s illegal. Ooo, what a rebel…😉 Next thing on this slippery slope to arch-criminality is that sometimes I’ll be crossing the road before the little green man says it’s OK……

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Easy enough to chip the motors
Some apparently work better than others
Personally happy with the standard assistance level of 15.5mph
Easy to go more than that on the flat or downhill.
20mph may have been a better option especially as 20 seems to be coming into a lot of areas for cars etc. (Scotland and Wales anyway)
Don't bounce well enough to do any proper mountain biking anymore.
A pop corn subject though

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
My 250w Bafang converted bike easily tops 20mph, though 10-12 suits us.

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
The reason they are limited to 15.5 mph or 25 kph is that is the speed bike helmets are rated to, so I was told. Don’t know if it’s true.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I actually care less about what people do on the road. I'm not actually that fussed about the speed limit either. I'm just in a grump about over powered derestricted eMTBs wrecking the trails.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I have a Cube emtb which has the speed box chip in it. It is superb! (y) Well worth it if you ask me.
The only downside is grumpy old men getting in your way! :LOL:
B54038CA-08EE-4306-8E47-81071C70E014.jpeg

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
was going to comment further but.... Seriously can't be arsed, as :

You know the law! HOPEFULLY

If caught you could be banned/loose your driving licence: AS No Tax: No insurance: unlikely to have a driving licence for that type of vehicle. And perchance popped to the pub and over the limit....

Last comment.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I actually care less about what people do on the road. I'm not actually that fussed about the speed limit either. I'm just in a grump about over powered derestricted eMTBs wrecking the trails.
If mtb trails are heavily used and not armoured they have always suffered from stutter bumps and ruts , it’s not a new phenomenon caused by ebikes.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If mtb trails are heavily used and not armoured they have always suffered from stutter bumps and ruts , it’s not a new phenomenon caused by ebikes.
It's got worse. Sections that are relatively flat now have stutter bumps on entries because eMTBs can reach higher speeds where hard braking wasn't required before. And gouges on hairpin exits from powering away. Also, because they are heavier and the riders care less about scrubbing off speed, they are more likely to pile into a corner with the rear lose. Then, of you're on an eMTB, you're probably going further and for longer each time you're out. So each person is wearing more trail. It adds up.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
It's got worse. Sections that are relatively flat now have stutter bumps on entries because eMTBs can reach higher speeds where hard braking wasn't required before. And gouges on hairpin exits from powering away. Also, because they are heavier and the riders care less about scrubbing off speed, they are more likely to pile into a corner with the rear lose. Then, of you're on an eMTB, you're probably going further and for longer each time you're out. So each person is wearing more trail. It adds up.
I wish they would level out and tarmac them trails as it would make it more comfortable!!😁

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Test road a 45kmh e-bike recently, just wow !!! Considering it for my work commute, don’t need batteries for the off-road stuff yet though(y)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
If a trail is built correctly ,armoured and maintained,ebikes make little difference.
I remember riding the monkey at Cannock second day after it was opened, it was well on the way to being trashed……..not built properly, that was way before ebikes,
Go to Llandegla and the trails are great despite ebikes, trails well built and maintained.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Why not get really serious ?

This guy is also building a really interesting pcv :)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If your ebike is derestricted and you are involved in a crash that injures a third party, you could be in deep 💩if 👮🚓 seize the bike and examine it forensically

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back