Leisure Battery Discharges (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
I've got an 04 Cheyenne and the leisure battery discharges to below 10 volts in less than 3 weeks if not used; the battery was replaced in March this year.
With all 8 fuses removed there still seems to be a current flow out of the battery, my meter max's out at 200µA and goes to full scale deflection.
Any ideas what the drain might be?
I intend to fit a no isolating switch to stop the battery drain but it would be great to find out what it is.
I've examined the cable run between the battery and the control box and can find no sign of any connection.

Martin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Usually an alarm.

I wonder if someone had fudged the engine charge relay, this normally connects engine to leisure battery when the alternator kicks in -- does the starter battery hold up ?

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
have you drained the boiler down does it have a red knob that when pressed down dumps the water if you have this type of boiler the red knob is on a solonoid that if it is shut so you can fill the water heater there is a drain off the lesiure battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
oldfozzie
Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Engine battery unaffected

Usually an alarm.

I wonder if someone had fudged the engine charge relay, this normally connects engine to leisure battery when the alternator kicks in -- does the starter battery hold up ?
Engine battery holds up fine, and the alarm still world with the leisure battery disconnected, that was my first port of call

OP
OP
oldfozzie
Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Water heater full

have you drained the boiler down does it have a red knob that when pressed down dumps the water if you have this type of boiler the red knob is on a solonoid that if it is shut so you can fill the water heater there is a drain off the lesiure battery

Water heartier is not drained down, we spend the winter in southern spain where freezing is not an issue until February, usually:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Martin.

obviously I don't know the battery size but to discharge a 100ah battery to 10v will take around 400 hours at a 200ma drain so I reckon you are close in assuming a 200ma+ drain..

if you have an electronic control panel (may be wired direct to battery without fuse) that may contribute to the drain, as will an inverter (connected direct to battery) if it isn't turned off at source.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Martin, I'm afraid I'll be no use at all. My pal finds himself in exactly the same position so we are going to isolate the battery with a switch and work through.

Strangely enough he's got an 07 Autotrail

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Hi Martin, I'm afraid I'll be no use at all. My pal finds himself in exactly the same position so we are going to isolate the battery with a switch and work through.

Strangely enough he's got an 07 Autotrail

Olive has told us your of no use at all in all departments:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have/had a similar problem...

I suspect that the sat receiver was the issue:

Max Power Consumption: 10W
Standby Power Consumption: 2W

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if you have an electronic control panel (may be wired direct to battery without fuse).

Now that rings a bell. Some poor sod last week was told that his control panel was working normally and drained his battery in 3 weeks. Totally unacceptable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have an electronic control panel (may be wired direct to battery without fuse).

should really have said....wired direct to battery with an inline fuse, so pulling normal fuses will still leave it connected. :Doh:

OP
OP
oldfozzie
Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Sounds like that could be it

That sounds about right, the worrying thing is that the control panel still functions when the leisure battery is disconnected so it must be draining the engine battery also, tomorrow will go hunting to find the connections to the battery and put in isolator.
I've looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the only option will be to actually dismount the panel.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That sounds about right, the worrying thing is that the control panel still functions when the leisure battery is disconnected so it must be draining the engine battery also, tomorrow will go hunting to find the connections to the battery and put in isolator.
I've looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the only option will be to actually dismount the panel.
never had any experience of an electronic panel so not sure, but that doesnt sound right.

maybe the charge relay has jammed/welded shut and it isnt disconnecting from the alternator/engine battery when the engine is off.

OP
OP
oldfozzie
Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
How about this for a solution

This is a simple circuit diagram of the overall electrical control installation, I guess the only safe way would be an isolation switch on the cables from each of the batteries to the PSU.

Any comments from those more knowledgeable than me would be most gratefully received.

I've sent a question to the tech support people at Autotrail, we'll see if they bother to respond.:winky:

Broken Link Removed

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Good old Dave Newell !!

This happened to me ! Dave went straight to the control box in the forward right hand locker and turned off the power to the tv arial and the 2 switches that power up the tv box and the tv/reverse camera ...worked a treat...Thanks Dave !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back