LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
How do I get a 3g type internet card for a wifi in france?
Before I have used my Orange account and got ripped to shreds on costs. Can I just by a 3g French sim card in France, stick it in me Mifi and then surf the net pretty much like I could do with a MIFI 3g Sim here?

Do I need to be crossing one of our French funsters palms with silver to get me a 3 G internet card? :RollEyes:

TIA

Mr & Mrs Haggers

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hiya Paul!!

According to JJ it is the best option : buy a local one, whatever the country. I know nothing about the stuff , as you might know , i am just brainless when things come to mobiles or computers stuffs:Blush:. So if you tell me exactly what to buy you , i'll do it no prob . If you just need an address you can have mine no prob either!

Let me know (i'm off to the swimming pool for at least 2 hours, leaving NOW!)

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
well Maybe JJ will know exactly what to buy as I am as clueless as you Frankie :ROFLMAO:

I think or was told that you have to have an address now days to buy a pay as you go sim? not sure about this though. I want one with internet capabilities in order for me to just check email and send you all some lovely pictures of our upcoming Alpine Ski meet. :thumb:

Shall we ask the Man when he wakes up? there's no rush, im not going till February.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I've been looking for a cheap PAYG Sim for internet access in France.

I have them for most other North European countries.

However France seems to be the sticking point, they do exist, but they are very expensive compared to UK and other Euro countries.

I also would be interested in anyone knows a good French deal.

In most other countries I can pay about €10 per month for 500 mb or 1Gb, or alternatively €2.50 per day unlimited, but at slower speeds which are still ok for surfing , e-mail etc.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Paul we bought a T.Mobile roaming dongle and put £40 worth on...

We thought it was for 30 days unlimited use...

Wrong it gave you so much Giga somethings...

I sat at a site in France when it was raining and a thing came on screen (You have used all your Credit up, to buy more phone this number)...

Could have only been about 6 - 8 hours use overall... :Doh:

So that, I think worked out expensive.. :thumbdown:

Be warned...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I've been looking for a cheap PAYG Sim for internet access in France.

I have them for most other North European countries.

However France seems to be the sticking point, they do exist, but they are very expensive compared to UK and other Euro countries.

I also would be interested in anyone knows a good French deal.

In most other countries I can pay about €10 per month for 500 mb or 1Gb, or alternatively €2.50 per day unlimited, but at slower speeds which are still ok for surfing , e-mail etc.

When I made enqiries in France for PAYG card 3 years ago, it was very expensive compered with the UK. In the end I found the cheapest way was to use my Spanish or Potugese cards when in France.

Doug...

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Paul we bought a T.Mobile roaming dongle and put £40 worth on...

We thought it was for 30 days unlimited use...

Wrong it gave you so much Giga somethings...

I sat at a site in France when it was raining and a thing came on screen (You have used all your Credit up, to buy more phone this number)...

Could have only been about 6 - 8 hours use overall... :Doh:

So that, I think worked out expensive.. :thumbdown:

Be warned...

Thanks Mo, I think that is similar to what I had with my Orange sim. That is why I wanted a proper French one.
My orange phone bill came in at £160, however i was phoning funsters at 2am to say hello :Eeek:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We use a PAYG card in France, it's SFR (nee Vodafone).

For this type of card they have very short expiry dates, 14 days, 31 days or 2 months etc depending on the value you purchase. The SIM also expires (in our case within 6 months) if not used, so beware.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We use a PAYG card in France, it's SFR (nee Vodafone).

For this type of card they have very short expiry dates, 14 days, 31 days or 2 months etc depending on the value you purchase. The SIM also expires (in our case within 6 months) if not used, so beware.

so how would I get one of these and what would I need for it? also does it do internet?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
so how would I get one of these and what would I need for it? also does it do internet?

We used these people, but bought ours years ago so you will have to check the current detail.
See they also do something with data too so maybe this is your answer?

Hope it's what you are looking for

http://www.0044.co.uk/france/sim-card.htm

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Vodafone USED to do a £10 data traveller for france and you could use 25mb a day while in france but they have stopped that EXCEPT for anyone with a £40 monthly contract, it might be worth going to that if you are going away, might be cheaper than the £160 you used last time.
It went to SFR as soon as you crossed into France.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We used these people, but bought ours years ago so you will have to check the current detail.
See they also do something with data too so maybe this is your answer?

Hope it's what you are looking for

http://www.0044.co.uk/france/sim-card.htm

Just checked that one out!!! £49-00 for a data sim card for a month :Eeek:
jees, I wish we were in the Euro :roflmto:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
On fleabay

French Orange Lets Go SIM France PAYG for 3g dongle, laptop or Mifi Wifi
£24.99

Link Removed

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
well Maybe JJ will know exactly what to buy as I am as clueless as you Frankie :ROFLMAO:

I think or was told that you have to have an address now days to buy a pay as you go sim? not sure about this though. I want one with internet capabilities in order for me to just check email and send you all some lovely pictures of our upcoming Alpine Ski meet. :thumb:

Shall we ask the Man when he wakes up? there's no rush, im not going till February.:thumb:

Back from the swimming pool :Cool:...::bigsmile:

So , JJ is very busy at the moment with Luis de Matos's show, He won't be up when you are and vice versa! He should be back to a rather normal life (but not for long , other shows planned!) on Monday .... unless he cathes up with some sleep and ...i am afraid it will be hard to have a proper reply before 24 hours :roflmto::roflmto: AND then ...well... take a ticket cause i'll be waiting too for a little chat:winky: .

To be serious, send him a PM and i am sure he will reply as soon as he can !

My address is still yours if needed!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Before I have used my Orange account and got ripped to shreds on costs. Can I just by a 3g French sim card in France, stick it in me Mifi and then surf the net pretty much like I could do with a MIFI 3g Sim here?

Do I need to be crossing one of our French funsters palms with silver to get me a 3 G internet card? :RollEyes:

TIA

Mr & Mrs Haggers

Paul..and the Haggers family...
If it was me coming over to France, and I lived in the UK... I would do what a friend of mine does,He has done this now for a couple of years( he is a fellow funster), he goes to the SFR shop in Cite Europe in Calais...(it is not a cheap way but nothing is over here except the :wine::wine: and more:wine: but you can not live on wine alone, I know many will try)

The SFR shop will set it up for you and set up an address so its running....this ok if you do not know any or just understand a little French ,also it would save you needing a French address,
Ask the person to write down on a piece of paper what you need to ask for when you want to refill/top up your sim card at any other SFR shop in France......
The reason I say this is!!, another member on here (a friend) came over to France and called at a supermarket and collected his own sim card ok he thought that went well no problems....what's all the fuss about...then asked the wife to set it up.....Chris did all the necessaries....and it worked.....but then he got a message come up on his phone, if he did not put his bank details in and other information required also his FRENCH ADDRESS it would terminate in a few days....he had paid 25 euros for virtually nothing:Doh:

Now mine is a Orange Dongle on a monthly contract of 15 euros per month.....and for this I get 200mbs to use in a month to be used Monday to Sunday inclusive + another 200mbs I can only use at the weekends and national holidays........Rubbish I hear you say YES you are correct I say.....
Sometimes we could not get a signal on Orange, sometimes a very slow signal and sometimes 3g...also we spend a lot of our Mbs allowance trying to get into our emails account....and getting nothing...so we would try again later, another problem was to find out how many Mbs you have left... it costing you more of your allowance trying find out!!! BUGGERS..so we are not that pleased to say the least.....Now my friend with the SFR may get less MBs for the same amount of money, BUT.. his SFR is a pay as you go...so no yearly contract like ours....plus every time he wanted to get onto the internet he did on 3g a fast speed ..so was using less of his Mbs trying ( if that makes sense ).....:Eeek::Doh:

Mel:thumb:
I would find out more info for you" BUT " at the moment he is flying back from the uk to Spain and his wife will be picking him up at the airport....but you could contact him yourself later if you was interested:thumb:

you could look on the SFR shop http://www.sfr.fr/

Link Removed

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Now you are back, I do hope you are going to personally reprimand Napoleon III for the rudeness to our PM. No Christmas card for him this year.

I hope not, he died in 1873.

Possibly isn't too worried about Christmas cards this year either...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Now you are back, I do hope you are going to personally reprimand Napoleon III for the rudeness to our PM. No Christmas card for him this year.

Brian...

" CHRISTMAS CARD" From Nick S...he may have more luck from Nick C

I hope David Cameroooooon is not expecting a card from Nick

They do not send Christmas cards :Doh:........Joyeux Noel :winky: that is if Nick S could find one in the shop...a very rare item:Eeek::Doh::ROFLMAO:

BAH HUMBUG :Angry:..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....springs to mind:winky::winky:

C/Dickens...time1843 Ebenezer Scrooge...those were the days... or still are

Just dreaming Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I wish we could find some of these in the shops
Turkey's (you may find 1 If you are lucky),... Ham to boil...Christmas Pudding .....Christmas Cake....Pork pie.....Sausage rolls.....Mince pies...and the list goes on....,Curry, Chinese, all the good English Christmas food....Mmmmmm Zzzzzz

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi Paul

have a look here.

I bought a spanish data sim from ebay before we went to Spain and used it in my unlocked 3 mifi.
You have to set up a profile in this country before you go I think.
Well I set up a profile in this country using my 3 mifi with a 3 simcard in it.
Then when I was in Spain, just put sim in and it worked.
Haven't tried the French version yet but maybe will do soon. Have a good read at the different ones.

Lesley
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...nkw=FRENCH+SIM+CARD&_sacat=See-All-Categories

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mel -

Other than the turkey and the ham, you can make the rest if you are that keen on them! :Doh: Flaky pastry is dead easy and a child can make hot water crust, I thought it was gonna be dead complicated before I made it the first time - but like choux pastry, it's not at all.

And believe me, I ain't that good a cook.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Sedge.....We doooooo make our own..we make and cook all of our food...Yesterday we made 17 lb pork sausages Mmmm and put a side 3lb of meat ready for us to make 3 large 1lb pork pies before leave for Portugal in the next few days.Mmmm(we also do Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages)..we also make our own sausage rolls and pasties and mince pies when we can get the mince meat or when we make our own.......

BUT sometimes Sedge it is nice just to be able to buy it off the shelf now and again if and when you want it....

These photos are of just a couple of the Pork Pies we have made...and yes we do make hot water crust pastry and pigs trotters to make the jelly...its the only way for a real pork pie.....Mmmmm:winky:
Our pork pies range from 1lb to 3lb each pie,:Smile: ... don't forget we come from Yorkshire were they eat real PORK PIES:winky:.....not those piddly little things they sell in the butchers shop (what's the name again, those Melton Mowbray things ):Eeek::Doh:

Mel :thumb:

Attachments

• PB220001.jpg
    PB220001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PB220004.jpg
    PB220004.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PB220003.jpg
    PB220003.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • real PORK pie made with rela hock jelly 24-2-2010 001 - Copie.jpg
    real PORK pie made with rela hock jelly 24-2-2010 001 - Copie.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 8
  • real PORK pie made with rela hock jelly 24-2-2010 007.jpg
    real PORK pie made with rela hock jelly 24-2-2010 007.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 10
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

TIA

Mr & Mrs Haggers
just go to any MacDonalds they have free wifi all the time:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
just go to any MacDonalds they have free wifi all the time:thumb:

yes Im well aware of that thanks fella, having been going there for a but 20 years, but, There aint no Mcdonalds in the ski resorts I use. :ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
we bought a 3g dongle from currys cost £29.99 includes £10 1gb top up that lasts for one month.
according to the instuctions it will work abroad but you have to top up in this country before you go.
not used it abroad yet so no idea on coverage or usage cost maybe someone else on here has.

PS we always have problems with things of a technical nature:Doh:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
we bought a 3g dongle from currys cost £29.99 includes £10 1gb top up that lasts for one month.
according to the instuctions it will work abroad but you have to top up in this country before you go.
not used it abroad yet so no idea on coverage or usage cost maybe someone else on here has.

PS we always have problems with things of a technical nature:Doh:

It will work abroad but you will get hammered on "Roaming" data charges, in some cases up to £2 per mb.....!:Eeek:

Depending which network it's own check the roaming data charge online before you go.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I have woken up (sort of) but sadly can't help Paul... I only travel through France so use McDees (or Frankie's wi-fi)

I do, however, a contract internet deal in Portugal... €29 per month "unlimited" (up to 15gb... I believe.)

Mel is the one who knows France dongle stuff...

JJ :Cool:

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Ski down-market...

There aint no Mcdonalds in the ski resorts I use. :ROFLMAO:
Sending this from outside Carrefour / McD's in Calais while waiting for the appropriate crossing time and doing some shopping. I can only suggest you try a more down-market ski resort that has McD's...

Happy Skiing,
Richard W.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sending this from outside Carrefour / McD's in Calais while waiting for the appropriate crossing time and doing some shopping. I can only suggest you try a more down-market ski resort that has McD's...

Happy Skiing,
Richard W.

err. Thank's Rich, I think Ill live without the internet than take up that option :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back