Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Whey hey,
After really fancying staying at Baltic Wharf (CC site in Bristol)for close on 2 years I managed an online booking today at 12oclock (CC bookings opened at 9am today for 2012) for the 1st to 4th April, I couldn't get my first preferrence in Feb,(fully booked) but have squeezed in Sunday to Thursday departure, I think all my subsequent booking will be for CL's thought, at £25:30 a night it's a piss take (non members + £7 per night)

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Gooney
It's right on the water, very handy for Bristol , go out the back gate and your on the river, we stopped there this year and visited friends (in their car) to a cl it was miles out of the city. Bristol wharf is a good site a good pub down the river and plenty to see in the locality. Pete :thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We enjoyed our stay at Baltic Wharf a few years ago. Price too high? It's market rates for a popular site. As with anything else, those who don't want to pay it can go elsewhere. Nobody forces anyone to book at any site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too have been trying for some time to get into Baltic Wharf,always wanted to see SS Great Britain.Oddly enough we booked !st of April as well, as for the price, yes they have you by the Baltics:ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
At the prices the clubs charge for their sites,the only benefit I can see is the CL/CS network,and they are trying to influence their fees!:Angry:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
We found the whole area fascinating and enjoyed a few days there; stayed on a CL and drove to the Park & Ride, there was an area for high vehicles to park there. Well worth a visit:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
After trying for 3 years to see the balooon festival in August we too got in for that, had to get on early at 9am though to do it, lots of spaces filled up already though beggars belief doesnt it?:RollEyes:
We went there for 3 days in the winter and loved it, been trying ever since to get in for the summer, I know it's expensive but you only live once eh?:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's a good Site, but a bit over "supervised" Saw one fella told to move because he was a foot out of place!:Doh:

The Pub out the back gate and to the left, serves OK grub, nothing special tho, BUT!!! does serve a brilliant pint of "Butcoombe Blond":thumb:

If you walk into town along the Wharf the Bristol Museum is a good visit (free) There are several ways of getting into town, walk as before, Ferry, or Bus (ask for The Gallerys) then just left around the corner and down the hill, THEN!!! Shopping Heaven! all the big stores, the Gallery os full also of shops that make Mrs R , Well we won't go into that!!!:Blush:

One point tho, if you have a Continental Habitation door, they make you park facing the wall, which is not nice! But! there is one pitch where you can Park facing out, Pitch 33! :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hello Graham.

So are you in favor of us just accepting whatever anybody wants to charge for a product or service without a peep. Maybe let them abuse us a bit whilst we grovel and thank them profusley for overcharging us.
Jim
:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello Graham.

So are you in favor of us just accepting whatever anybody wants to charge for a product or service without a peep. Maybe let them abuse us a bit whilst we grovel and thank them profusley for overcharging us.
Jim
:Smile:

What I actually said was
It's market rates for a popular site. As with anything else, those who don't want to pay it can go elsewhere. Nobody forces anyone to book at any site.
So, if anyone doesn't want to accept the price they are free not to. It's just like anything else in the unregulated areas of the private sector, companies are free to set any price they like. If a company pitches its prices too high then its sales will suffer and so will its viability.

If a company can sells its products and services for the prices it wants to then why should it take any less? Should Rolls Royce. prices be lowered to the same as Hyundai just because they are higher? Of course not, the higher price is asked for a higher grade product.

If, in the case of a company like the CC, the members think that the prices they are charged are too high there are mechanisms for them to raise the matter at the AGM and have prices lowered - should they be able to find enough support.

The alternative is strict prices (and, of course, incomes) policy of the type which Wilson failed with around 40 years ago.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
What I actually said was
So, if anyone doesn't want to accept the price they are free not to. It's just like anything else in the unregulated areas of the private sector, companies are free to set any price they like. If a company pitches its prices too high then its sales will suffer and so will its viability.

If a company can sells its products and services for the prices it wants to then why should it take any less? Should Rolls Royce. prices be lowered to the same as Hyundai just because they are higher? Of course not, the higher price is asked for a higher grade product.

If, in the case of a company like the CC, the members think that the prices they are charged are too high there are mechanisms for them to raise the matter at the AGM and have prices lowered - should they be able to find enough support.

The alternative is strict prices (and, of course, incomes) policy of the type which Wilson failed with around 40 years ago.

I read what you said Graham. Whats dear old Harold, 40 years ago got to do with the price of fish today.

Jim
::bigsmile:

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
BW is very high on our list of places to stay. We tried a few years ago when we were tugging and couldn't believe it was full. Having since been to the area I can see why.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/29164/Orchard_Inn/Bristol

This IS the pub to visit if you like; real beer/cider; reasonably priced food; music; and a short walk!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I read what you said Graham. Whats dear old Harold, 40 years ago got to do with the price of fish today.

Jim

Don't you remember the Prices & Incomes Policy Jim? ::bigsmile:
From Wikipedia
Wilson made periodic attempts to mitigate inflation through wage-price controls, better known in the UK as "prices and incomes policy"[11] (as with indicative planning, such controls—though now generally out of favour – were widely adopted at that time by governments of different ideological complexions, including the Nixon administration in the United States). Partly as a result of this reliance, the government tended to find itself repeatedly injected into major industrial disputes, with late-night "beer and sandwiches at Number Ten" an almost routine culmination to such episodes. Among the most damaging of the numerous strikes during Wilson's periods in office was a six-week stoppage by the National Union of Seamen, beginning shortly after Wilson's re-election in 1966, and conducted, he claimed, by "politically motivated men".

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The fact that there is a waiting list proves that the price is correct, perhaps even too cheap. :Eeek:

If it were too expensive there wouldn't be a queue/waiting list

It it were too cheap there would be too many customers for spaces! Which is, I believe the current situation.

The market always finds the level that the market is prepared to pay!

Personally I wouldn't be prepared to say anything is a piss take unless I was privy to their overheads, which I am not. I would guess for example that the business rates, in the centre of Bristol right on the waterfront would be extremely high. This would have to be factored into the price that guests would have to pay.

Eddie

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Don't you remember the Prices & Incomes Policy Jim? ::bigsmile:
From Wikipedia

Funny enough I do Graham. I was young, fit, free, good lookin, loaded and it was the 60's :Cool:

Poor old Harold, he had no chance against the unions at that time. I believe it was Heath who brought in legislation to cap wage increases. If I remember correctly it was 4%. That didnt work either and he got the bullet.
Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Funny enough I do Graham. I was young, fit, free, good lookin, loaded and it was the 60's :Cool:

Poor old Harold, he had no chance against the unions at that time. I believe it was Heath who brought in legislation to cap wage increases. If I remember correctly it was 4%. That didnt work either and he got the bullet.
Jim
I knew you would remember it really ::bigsmile: I recall a £1 + 4% from some time in the 1970s but can't remember whether that was Heath's government or Wilson's from 1974.

One paragraph from that Wikipedia article that struck me was
With public frustration over strikes mounting, Wilson's government in 1969 proposed a series of changes to the legal basis for industrial relations (labour law) in the UK, which were outlined in a White Paper "In Place of Strife" put forward by the Employment Secretary Barbara Castle. Following a confrontation with the Trades Union Congress, which strongly opposed the proposals, and internal dissent from Home Secretary James Callaghan, the government substantially backed-down from its intentions. Some elements of these changes were subsequently to be revived (in modified form) during the premiership of Margaret Thatcher.[11]
I've often wondered how much better things might have been if Wilson had backed Castle instead of giving in.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I knew you would remember it really ::bigsmile: I recall a £1 + 4% from some time in the 1970s but can't remember whether that was Heath's government or Wilson's from 1974.

One paragraph from that Wikipedia article that struck me was
I've often wondered how much better things might have been if Wilson had backed Castle instead of giving in.

It would have been interesting that's for sure.
Jim
:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back