Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Saga recovery excellent through AA.............

Blooming flat tyre though only at bottom though.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Where is your spare kept John?

Mine is in a cage underneath, I've a long spanner thing to unwind it, I've never used it yet. I ought to have a dummy run while its warm and dry, as when I need to do it, it bound to be dark and raining:Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Mine is in a cage underneath, I've a long spanner thing to unwind it, I've never used it yet. [HI]I ought to have a dummy run while its warm and dry,[/HI] as when I need to do it, it bound to be dark and raining:Smile:

I think you have missed your window of opportunity Jim:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john . for going to maroc i would advise a
two good spares . 4 inner tubes . and a good set of chewing gum /tyre string repair set . and a good electric compressor. t-max is on usedby the 4x4 boys. although in maroc getting a puncture repaied can be cheap tyres are expensive ,in fact uk is possibly the cheapest place in europe for tyres. every body should have a practice at home for changing wheels . remember when you change a flat you will need a few inches of lift spare to allow for the pumped up tyre. a few wooden blocks etc and a couple of good wedges are handy as well. plus a good socket and a good long flexy bar to undo /tighten up. in the ideal world 10minutes is all it should take to change wheels even quicker would be nice. waiting by the road side for a recovery is dngerous in its self . better to be organised and get going quickly.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Jim my rear bumper drops down and spare is housed in there.......

Going to look at all terrain tyres on the front to help me in the future getting in and out of my rear drive.

Cheers for advice Alan.

Going to look at trolley jack and wheel nut brace as AA man struggled with his..

What a difference 26.2 mpg and that includes a jam of 2 hours where i travelled under 2 miles. bit of a difference from 6 mpg on the RV..............:Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
john . for going to maroc i would advise a
two good spares . 4 inner tubes . and a good set of chewing gum /tyre string repair set . and a good electric compressor. t-max is on usedby the 4x4 boys. although in maroc getting a puncture repaied can be cheap tyres are expensive ,in fact uk is possibly the cheapest place in europe for tyres. every body should have a practice at home for changing wheels . remember when you change a flat you will need a few inches of lift spare to allow for the pumped up tyre. a few wooden blocks etc and a couple of good wedges are handy as well. plus a good socket and a good long flexy bar to undo /tighten up. in the ideal world 10minutes is all it should take to change wheels even quicker would be nice. waiting by the road side for a recovery is dngerous in its self . better to be organised and get going quickly.

You forgot 'dont take your wheel nuts off next to a grid':cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best is pump up tyre . while its still on the vehicle .
find problem. remove nail screw ?
push in the rough up tool
fit chewing gum /string to other tool .
push in to hole . turn tool pull out .
hoopefully its not leaking check pressure ,if low pump up again .
thats the way to do it.
amazing how many you can repair like this with out even removing the wheel.
very occasionaly it takes a couple of inserts but so long as its not leaking well done.
of course by the time you have driven all the way home from maroc . remember they arent recognised as a safe repair here so get it fixed properly . right ! of course .
not for tyre walls . but amazing bits of kit.
and dont throw your nuts down the drains . wont be the first time , think most of us have done it at least once .
i always carry at least one wheel set of spare wheel fixings . but its possible to take one nut/bolt from all the others and carefully drive on to a local garage /spares shop.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Mine is in a cage underneath, I've a long spanner thing to unwind it, I've never used it yet. I ought to have a dummy run while its warm and dry, as when I need to do it, it bound to be dark and raining:Smile:

That is a sore point with my Swift 630G. the spare tyre is in the back of the garage, I have to empty half the conents out to get at it and the garage door is on the left hand side, fine for the UK but a death trap on the continent.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
best is pump up tyre . while its still on the vehicle .
find problem. remove nail screw ?
push in the rough up tool
fit chewing gum /string to other tool .
push in to hole . turn tool pull out .
hoopefully its not leaking check pressure ,if low pump up again .
thats the way to do it.
amazing how many you can repair like this with out even removing the wheel.
very occasionaly it takes a couple of inserts but so long as its not leaking well done.
of course by the time you have driven all the way home from maroc . remember they arent recognised as a safe repair here so get it fixed properly . right ! of course .
not for tyre walls . but amazing bits of kit.
and dont throw your nuts down the drains . wont be the first time , think most of us have done it at least once .
i always carry at least one wheel set of spare wheel fixings . but its possible to take one nut/bolt from all the others and carefully drive on to a local garage /spares shop.

I found in one of the many Chinese shops in Portugal, a kit containing a rotory file, a bodkin to push in a length of repair rubber and a tube of rubber cement.

Hopefully I will not have to use it.
Doug..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Mine is in a cage underneath, I've a long spanner thing to unwind it, I've never used it yet.

Errr, Ok.
Shall I call SAGA for you now then Jim. Now youv'e said those magic words :roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That's what I liked about the older Fiat based campers. Spare wheel under the bonnet where you can get at it without crawling under the camper.
On my VW LT i took the cage from underneath and got a 4X4 rear door spare wheel carrier and fitted it to the rear wall.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I keep those puncture repair kits in stock.. Very VERY popular with motorcyclists as it saves so much grief !
I have even done a track day on the blackbird with a tyre that had a plug in ( had little choice as I got the puncture on the way to Donny and I was not about to loose the £120 paid for the ticket ! )
Was more than a little wary to start with but then the old adrenalin kicks in and the puncture gets forgotten ! :Blush::winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I keep those puncture repair kits in stock.. Very VERY popular with motorcyclists as it saves so much grief !
I have even done a track day on the blackbird with a tyre that had a plug in ( had little choice as I got the puncture on the way to Donny and I was not about to loose the £120 paid for the ticket ! )
Was more than a little wary to start with but then the old adrenalin kicks in and the puncture gets forgotten ! :Blush::winky:
if we are talking tyre string's,i use them all the time,i carry a set in the motorhome along with a ring compressor:thumb:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
if we are talking tyre string's,i use them all the time,i carry a set in the motorhome along with a ring compressor:thumb:

But you have the rapid genny to cope.....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, chris nd doug yes all the same things . i use a commercial tip-top set bought from a big national tyre supplier. but you see thm in farmers supply stores .4x4 shops ,loads on ebay.
i firstsaw them in maroc years ago, a friend had a set next puncture had a go. that repair lasted another 2trips to maroc .in the mean time spoke to a tyre shop and they had a set they used on off road machinery . i bought a saet . since have bought goodrich strings that dont even need glue . dont always work but i can stick a patch inside or fit a tube . use the trailer leg as a bead breaker. you could use a jack. i carry a full tyre repair kit . even big gaiters for ripped tyres . mind these are only emergency use . but the strings are well worth giving a try. i have trouble with the cheap compressors . use a gast compressor from the states on the unit tosupply air to the trailer brakes so it does the job now best electric compressor out there but too expensive just to pump tyres. but every one practice changing wheels and always think safety . a good socket and 3/4 inch drive flexybar and extensions are the best . again worth every penny. punctures never happen in good places always in inconveniant places and very often when its raining and dark. .

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
John You said that the tyre was only flat at the bottom. Why didnt you turn it over so that it was flat at the TOP. :roflmto::roflmto:
Best wishes, Pudseykeith

in actual fact is was so flat it them would be flat at bottom and top then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can't believe i am laughing at a puncture:Doh::cry:

must be the new happy me.........::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back