Spare Wheel? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Hi

We have just bought a Bessacar E495 and see it has no spare wheel, it has an air compressor and the foam to re inflate a flat but what about when the tyre splits or blows out? We are thinking about having a spare fitted on it somewhere, any ideas, has anyone else done this?
:Smile:

Rolling Rolling Rolling Keep Those Doggies Rolling !!!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
they leave out the spare wheel for weight reasons:Doh:great idea,NOT:Sad:
i think a spare is a must have,I know we can get recovered by the AA/RAC,but in the middle of the night,overseas,not a good situation to be in:Eeek:
i carry both a spare wheel,and compressor and tyre string's:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but what about when the tyre splits or blows out?

Simples, your holiday is ruined.

The good news, the chassis was probably made to take a spare so it is doable.

Trouble is where the spare is normally is terrible to get out so see if it's possible to hang one on the back 4x4 style.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi maybe possible to mount something from towbar or similar type fitting.
becareful of extra weight of the spare pinches the load you can carry . but really should never be allowed to be sold without a spare (my opinion). make sure you have sensible jack wedges and tools to remove the wheel as well . have known this to be missing as well.
also practice at home . some need two jacks or at least stands and packing for jack.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
jacks

I found that the issued jack was useless and with a laden vehicle it was impossible to life it so I bough a small bottle jack from Halford and this does the job fine Mind I have only practised getting the spare off and lifting the vehicle So far so good but I agrre have practisce before you find yourself in a situation without assistance:cry:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
jacks

I found that the issued jack was useless and with a laden vehicle it was impossible to life it so I bough a small bottle jack from Halford's and this does the job fine Mind I have only practiced getting the spare off and lifting the vehicle So far so good but I agree have practice before you find yourself in a situation without assistance:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
What you ned is a heavy duty trye inflator...like the superb

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RAC900-Compressor-Accessories/dp/B000W08QZY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1323169595&sr=8-7[/ame]

A spare wheel and matching tyre and somewhere to store in in/on the motorhome.

Also never bother to to change it yourself.....If you can get a man to do it for you.........this is where folks like the AA or RAC come in handy.

jacks suppled are sometimes useless......Lidl do have a 6 ton bottle jack in now and again.......so if you are somewhere remote and in a safe position you can do it yourself.
...but thats a different subject.
Changing a wheel on a heavy motorhome is a bit more of a challenge than changing a wheel on a car.

barry:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also remember when practising you possibly will be jacking from a pumped uptyre . in emergancy the tyre will be flat. you will need atleast 3-4ins more jacking to allow the fitting of blown up spare.
sometimes it pays to actually drive the flat tyre onto your spare and jack from there . using good solid wooden blocks and spreaders . be carefull if jacking on soft ground . always try to put something under the vehicle to stop it falling right on the ground or you. many are injured doing a simple thing like changing a wheel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back