Hello I wonder if you nice people can answer two questions (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Hello I wonder if you nice people can answer two questions I have
Question 1 is I have a SMEV oven and I have not found out how to light it I cant see a electric switch, there is a switch for the light and one for a rotisserie but not one to light it.
This seems strange as there is on for the hob and that works fine
Question two
I have a 240v switch above my wardrobe that does nothing, below the wardrobe is the heating system.
It looks like the type that should light when turned on but it does not light up and I don’t know what it does, see attached photo.
Thanks for any help.
John

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 100

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Re switch can.t help

Re oven lighting may have to be lit with flame as they do not all have electronic ignition. Some times it is turn on the gas and hold in till going. This can apply even if the rest ignites by electronic ignition, has caught me out before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
Thanks for the reply Dave I guess I will just have to take some matched or but one of the auto gas lighter with the lomg neck you can get

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never seen an oven with an auto igniter .. not to say there aren't any .. Our SMEV had to be lit using a naked flame.. all have to have the door open, basically this is for safety.. if you were to try and light with the door closed and there was a tiny bit of gas in the oven..... :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
Never seen an oven with an auto igniter .. not to say there aren't any .. Our SMEV had to be lit using a naked flame.. all have to have the door open, basically this is for safety.. if you were to try and light with the door closed and there was a tiny bit of gas in the oven..... :Eeek:

Very good point Jim never thought of that,Doh:Blush:

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
More than one Jim, ours also has an electronic lighter & can be lit with the oven door closed.

After over 4 years never had a problem with it :thumb: Cannot remember the make but have seen many vans with the same model so it must be the way they do them now.

There must be ventilation where the air can get in or the flame wouldn't burn so there is probably a way at the rear somewhere that would let out any residual gas out & I can see a gas drop hole in the floor directly underneath the oven.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More than one Jim, ours also has an electronic lighter & can be lit with the oven door closed.

After over 4 years never had a problem with it :thumb: Cannot remember the make but have seen many vans with the same model so it must be the way they do them now.

There must be ventilation where the air can get in or the flame wouldn't burn so there is probably a way at the rear somewhere that would let out any residual gas out & I can see a gas drop hole in the floor directly underneath the oven.

I stand corrected .. must be using non explosive gas now :roflmto:

Upvote 0

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
WE have a Smev cooker with electronic ignition in oven. We have found by trial and error that it will not ignite if the hob lid is fully vertical and the ignition is from the same switch as the hob I hope this helps

Rob

Upvote 0

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
WE have a Smev cooker with electronic ignition in oven. We have found by trial and error that it will not ignite if the hob lid is fully vertical and the ignition is from the same switch as the hob I hope this helps

Rob
our's is the same:thumb:

Upvote 0

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
my smev lights with door open fully and turn +push in to activate the ignitor and gas valve if it dosn't spark or light with naked flame then suspect the 12v is not connected to the oven:Smile:

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Ours also has electronic ignition. Turn it and push it in for, clickety click as it sparkety sparks..

I always do it with the door open that way I can see clearly when it ignites, never tried it with the door shut, because if it does not spark straight away..........:Eeek:

Only ever used the oven rarely for savoury pastries, pies, etc and occasionally reheating Curries and Chinese. Now I have fitted the microwave, guess we will use it even less, if at all.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure, but these push knob automatic sparky things may be battery powered....and the batteries are dead !

one or two D type dry batteries in a holder somewhere under the oven.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes, we also have a Thetford oven in ours, like calumwa's it's "clickety click, sparkety spark"! Bingo!
We light it with the door closed and can see whether it ignites with the auto ignitor "pressy down button":thumb:
Probably all the newer vans have these nowadays......there appears to be vents etc at the back, so no problems with that.
We have had a problem trying to get the fridge to ignite when we switch it over to "gas mode" though:Blush: maybe just not got the hang of this yet though.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

FIRSTLY YOU MUST HAVE YOUR HAVE YOUR 12V SWITCHED ON.... the 12v that runs all interior and exterior electrical items in the Motorhome, for lighting ,water,etc,......this is to power the igniter

Both of our Motorhomes have / had igniters.....The last van was a SMEV oven...( the wife thinks! as most of the time you do automatically)....you turned the control knob to a set start position holding the knob down, the press the electronic igniter switch(near the control knob) until the oven is lit...still holding the knob down for a few seconds until the gas sensor is hot and activated (or it will shut down again ) then turn to the desired setting of heat required.....
On the new motorhome as you are turning switch holding the switch down it activates the igniter and lights the oven

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp

Rob

That’s interesting but our hob is some distance from the oven so I could not hold the knob in on the oven while operating the clickey switch, I know its not called that but I like that name better.
Thanks for all your replies,:thumb: I will have fun trying all your suggestions and if they don’t work buy a gas ligter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
FIRSTLY YOU MUST HAVE YOUR HAVE YOUR 12V SWITCHED ON.... the 12v that runs all interior and exterior electrical items in the Motorhome, for lighting ,water,etc,......this is to power the igniter

Both of our Motorhomes have / had igniters.....The last van was a SMEV oven...( the wife thinks! as most of the time you do automatically)....you turned the control knob to a set start position holding the knob down, the press the electronic igniter switch(near the control knob) until the oven is lit...still holding the knob down for a few seconds until the gas sensor is hot and activated (or it will shut down again ) then turn to the desired setting of heat required.....
On the new motorhome as you are turning switch holding the switch down it activates the igniter and lights the oven

Mel

Thanks Mel but there is no electronic igniter switch near the control knob the only electronic igniter switch is on the hob and that is no where near the oven.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That’s interesting but our hob is some distance from the oven so I could not hold the knob in on the oven while operating the clickey switch, I know its not called that but I like that name better.
Thanks for all your replies,:thumb: I will have fun trying all your suggestions and if they don’t work buy a gas ligter.

Ours was the same the oven at /near top of one side of the Motorhome and the hob on the other side of the Motorhome a good distance away...

Also on our Smev oven there was a thin sheet steel plate at the top of the inside of the oven this needed, had to be pulled out when you did TOAST...this was to stop you closing the door on safety grounds...or so we was instructed our dealer:Eeek:

Mel

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks Mel but there is no electronic igniter switch near the control knob the only electronic igniter switch is on the hob and that is no where near the oven.

OK then try holding the switch down as you turn the knob BUT make sure the 12v is on:thumb:

Mel

a piece of info of smev ovens

Thermostat

Interior light

Electronic 12-volt ignition with safety ignition system

Easy to use and install

Easy-clean door and interior

Chimney connection

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
OK then try holding the switch down as you turn the knob BUT make sure the 12v is on:thumb:

Mel

a piece of info of smev ovens

Thermostat

Interior light

Electronic 12-volt ignition with safety ignition system

Easy to use and install

Easy-clean door and interior

Chimney connection

This was our Smev model FO391 GT-L ..(.the L was because it was left hand hinged )
all our control's was just inside the glass door...

Link Removed

Mel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

there's always one aint there :roflmto:

bet you can't light it with the door closed.. :winky:

::bigsmile:Ours is a caprice full size cooker and the oven ignites after you press / turn and hold in the knob-then you press igniter button :thumb: -with or without door open :Smile:
terry

Upvote 0

Steveutwg

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Rushenden, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 560
Exp
25 years
Just a thought, have you tied to see if the hob igniter, will light the oven? As for the switch, try following the wires back, too see where they go, that should give you an idea.

Good luck steve

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Broken Link Removed

Hi! What's the latest on your neighbour and the van in the driveway?

Just wondered when we read this recent post:Smile:

Margaret & Bill

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ours was the same the oven at /near top of one side of the Motorhome and the hob on the other side of the Motorhome a good distance away...

Also on our Smev oven there was a thin sheet steel plate at the top of the inside of the oven this needed, had to be pulled out when you did TOAST...this was to stop you closing the door on safety grounds...or so we was instructed our dealer:Eeek:

Mel
just seen this Mel, and the plate is usually a heat deflector/diverter to stop you melting the cooker control knobs when grilling. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Come late to this thread but our Smev oven just has the one knob which you turn to the temperature required and hold the knob in to ignite. The knob also falls off while travelling so we usually remove it so it doesn't get lost. :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Hi! What's the latest on your neighbour and the van in the driveway?

Just wondered when we read this recent post:Smile:

Margaret & Bill
Margaret & Bill
I have managed to park it infront of our garage its very tight and not easy to do but it keeps him quite
Regards
John

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back