Recommendations for Outside Light (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all,

I'm looking for an outside light as part of me would like one, however, the other part of me doesn't like the idea of an outside light switch on the panel that just does nothing but turn a relay on in the distribution board! :Doh:

Although we've got a Fiamma awning, I don't want one that fits to the awning supports as I'd like to use it even when the awning isn't out.

Tempted by an LED one, but will it be bright enough? If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great!

Thanks all! :thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks Jezport,

It's not so much the brightness with LEDs, it's the temperature that can be the issue when lighting up a large area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bright enough !!! Oh yes.. In fact we had the opposite problem after fitting an LED outside light

Was asked to turn it off by neighbouring van as it was too bright !!

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We replaced the bulb in our awning light at the end of last year with an LED into an adapter to fit the light. Its been fine and uses a lot less power than a bulb

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Pretty much any of the strip ones..

This is the same as the one I have fitted................

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As you will see from my sig. we live on a camp site and one problem that I see time & after time is people leaving the outside light on, even on the short summer nights we get up here in Scotland.

Many vans I'v seen have no indication inside that the light is on - so it gets left on all night draining the battery, if you'r not on EHU.:Doh:

Using LED's it should not be a problem though.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Bright enough !!! Oh yes.. In fact we had the opposite problem after fitting an LED outside light

Was asked to turn it off by neighbouring van as it was too bright !!

With outside lights the problem is it attract the mossies, so you are best getting one with a sucker on it and mounting it on your neighbours van side. Attch a piece of invisible fishing twine to it and if the neighbour drives off the sucker will be pulled off and you retain your light.
The good thing unlike poor ole Jaws is that the neighbour wont complain cos the light is on their van...they will however have a sleepless night working out which switch they need to throw to switch the light off...plus their van will stink of mossy spray not yours...simples

no no its ok...stop ...omg im blushing with all the thank yous I can hear coming my way....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi all,

I'm looking for an outside light as part of me would like one, however, the other part of me doesn't like the idea of an outside light switch on the panel that just does nothing but turn a relay on in the distribution board! :Doh:

Although we've got a Fiamma awning, I don't want one that fits to the awning supports as I'd like to use it even when the awning isn't out.

Tempted by an LED one, but will it be bright enough? If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great!

Craig
LED 100% :thumb:.................on our new RAPIDO there are either 4 X 5 amp but more like 10amp Halogen bulbs in the outside strip light....we kept catching the switch as we came in and out of the motorhome Hab door, also we did forget turn it off a few times after we been out with the dog....our batteries was discharging at a rapid rate and our two 110amph batteries was soon going into the red.. when it gets down to 12v we get a red warning on the panel... we would then realise we had left the outside lights on..sometimes we would catch the switch during the day and did know we had put them on...I have took them out and put 4 leds and now not even showing a discharge when switched on, as the solar says it is putting in more than is coming out, even in the dark!!... "Yes" its says charging at 1.6 in the dark with lights on..on the Rapido panel!!:Eeek::Doh:
do you believe all what is says in the papers!
Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
As you will see from my sig. we live on a camp site and one problem that I see time & after time is people leaving the outside light on, even on the short summer nights we get up here in Scotland.

Many vans I'v seen have no indication inside that the light is on - so it gets left on all night draining the battery, if you'r not on EHU.:Doh:

Using LED's it should not be a problem though.

To true Keith, I know the problem, our switches are right at the side of the grab handle as you enter the van ,either your hand or as your clothes brush past... you switch the outside light on most times times:Doh:......

Mel

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Cheers all.

The CBE control panel we have has an outside light switch with an indicator to show its on, so shouldn't have an issue with leaving it on overnight.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cheers all.

The CBE control panel we have has an outside light switch with an indicator to show its on, so shouldn't have an issue with leaving it on overnight.

Craig our control panel has a touch sensitive button and a light to say the lights are on:Doh: but on ours it means any of the lights interior or exterior are on:Doh::winky: also it was the same on my other last van:Doh:

Hopefully yours is just for the outside only.

Mel

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi all,

there you go just a click away
Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Got one, very bright..... ( Well ours is 4 years old so maybe not identical )

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back